South Carolina moped laws

Christian Giron /

Moving to Charleston soon for a big boy job. Got my hobbit up and running perfectly and will be getting my tomos to do the same.

I was researching south carolina laws and found this tidbit...

SECTION 56-5-3740. Modification of equipment to increase horsepower or speed. [SC ST SEC 56-5-3740]

It is unlawful for a person to modify or change the equipment of a moped so that the vehicle exceeds two brake horsepower and produces speeds in excess of thirty miles an hour on level ground. A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days.

(TL;DR: Modify your shit, get arrested.)

There was also something about needing a rearview mirror something something and a brake light that works with brake handles something something

I guess my question is.. is this shit enforced? Should I be scared to ride around downtown charleston?

Not enforced, unless you draw attention to yourself

fallout Survivor /

The short answer would be no.

If you act up , look sketchy and are known to the local police or sheriffs, as an asshole, they might find this statute to use against you.

I would guess if you are running a loud add on exhaust, they may look harder at you. Put a silencer on it.

Re: South Carolina moped laws

The same law exists in every state.

Christian Giron /

what about plate laws? The ones I see all say "It is unlawful for a person to operate a moped without pedals upon the public highways and streets of this State without displaying the metal identification plate which must be attached to the vehicle.

Don't go ape shit and they wont mess with you. The only place I know that was SUPER cracking down was Myrtle Beach. You should be good. There is a really cool dude in Mt. Pleasant named Jeff. You should look him up. Our club is in Sumter Sc, if you ever want to come hang out and ride.

If you have any issue downtown it will be with noise. They passed a law some years back to kill a biker rally that was being proposed. Bikes and peds are real popular downtown. Stay off the JI connector with a bike for sure and moped maybe. Look me up when you get here.

In So Carolina; please don't drive while not White

fallout Survivor /

All bets are off for people of color who will be found automatically under scrutiny, and stop and frisk procedures to check for terrorist, drug or immigration violations.

Christian Giron /

Okay sounds good!

As far as plate laws, plate or no plate?

I don't but we do get hassled about it. We technically don't have to because of the pedals, but the cops don't always know that, and want to hassle you any ways.

Grey L Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The same law exists in every state.

not in Virginia. you can own & operate a larger than stock engine, you just can't go faster than 35 MPH.

only thing that we have been hassled about around here was for some moped tags.... but its not a registered vehicle and it doesnt need insurance so theres no point in tags. plus the dmv doesnt have moped tags. only way to get one is through a moped dealership and they dont give them away unless you bought your scooter from them so you cant get one. so basically in SC your golden. know your laws and dont let the popo's push you around.

My point was that every state has their own definition of a moped. If you modify a moped so it no longer fits that definition, you are basically operating a motorcycle without a license, improper registration, etc and they can punish you as such.

J Blank Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Grey L Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The same law exists in every state.

>

>

> not in Virginia. you can own & operate a larger

> than stock engine, you just can't go faster than

> 35 MPH.

Grey that may be the case, but his question was if they inforce it or not. I have no problen riding my ped anywhere. Only tickets I've gotten were speeding and obstruction of head light. Buzzin' ain't easy.

Christian Giron /

Thanks for all the info guys!

I'm typically not an idiot on my ped so I should be golden.

I'll try to make it to the next rally!

the metal plate they are referring to is the VIN placard. the only problem you should have is trying to figure out where you want to ride your ped.

I've ridden in Columbia for almost 2 years and only been hassled once. Rookie just out of the academy deal. Tried to tell me I need a plate for a moped. And you don't.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account