Noob... Needs help (puch maxi)

I picked up a 77 puch maxi (W/1 speed) yesterday riding on flats hit about 25mph or so, down hill about 30mph. Then any sort of incline it would bog to the point I had to wait her get off and push or pedal it. As far as engine mods go it has a delorto carb which a I rejetted to a 60. I was riding with a buddy whose motobecane 50v with similar mods blew me away. Just looking for a starting point on how to get it running properly.

Some ideas I've had are

Transmission

Clutch plates

Should also note that when on the stand it revs to about 7-8k or so and sounds like the motor may have been jugged but not sure

Any insight will be great

Re: Noob... Needs help (puch maxi)

Chris Driscoll /

A motobecane is going to destroy you on hills because that model is variated.

As far as the jetting. What size delorto are you running (14.12, 15.15, etc), what air filter, pipe/exhaust, etc. Need to know a bit more about your setup.

Also, try the repair forum if you dont get much help here.

Frank Stewart /

From what the guy I bought it fron said I believe it's a 15. Not sure tho. How can I check that? Also screen air filter and stock exhaust

your exhaust is probably restricted. look up how to derestrict a puch exhaust in the wiki.

Zeke Rigg /

timing and jeting get that correct. then start derestricting junk.

Patrick Keaton /

On the side of the carb, if it is not a clone, should be the number of the carb.

Frank Stewart /

Ahh Great thanks..ill go take a look

Davis Vasconcellos /

i had the same thing with my maxi when i first got it, get a 70cc kit w/ a good pipe (i have tecno boss pipe) from treats and get it case matched. got me going 47 down hills, and make sure you get a new crank to keep up with the higher rpm's

Frank Stewart /

Yea a 70cc kit and pipe are in the near future. Also carb is a 14.12. Will be upraised soon aswell. Anyone experiance similar issues due to clutch?

There is probably nothing wrong with your ped or it's clutch. it's just a stock, (sounds like) 1.5hp, e50. a destroyer of hills it is not. plus NH hills are not small (I gre up in MA, i know what you're facing). Just get a bumper sticker that says "this moped can not climb mt. washington" and save up for a kit.

Upjetting alone will not really give you the better torque that you're lookin for. jetting a little higher can make you slightly quicker off the line but it's not going to be significant on a 30 degree incline. go back to stock and save your plugs, it's actually probably why you're bogging out.

Also, dont mess with the clutch or timing. you could try derestricing the pipe for some short term help but it's all a drop in the bucket. go with the whole kit setup. when picking your setup, tho, think about a circuit pipe. It will keep your power band in the lower rpm range and help you out on those hills.

or buy a hobbit

Frank Stewart /

Pizza the hut thank you for the insight!

Yea I am going to deresteicting the exhaust and the save up for the kit. I was not expecting it to destroy hills but a slight incline (3 degree) it struggles with. But thr kit is in the very near future

Something is wrong. A stock maxi may not have the same low end power as a moby, but once you get moving you should have no trouble getting up a three degree incline at 25mph. (edited)

Air leaks? Rings?

Yep, or clogged jet, or clogged exhaust.

What do you mean by screen filter? Like, pantyhose?

Frank Stewart /

Will check for leaks today. Also jets are new, and exhaust is clean. The filter is a metal mesh filter.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account