chicago title problems

So i recently bought a monza gt from indiana with bill of sale. From what ive read it should be fairly easy to title it here in chicago but ive tried everything i could at the dmv and at currency exchanges. Every place has told me that i need a title, the state even wants me to appraise and bond the thing($900 that i dont have). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Last thing i want to do is ride dirty and get in trouble with these clowns.

Re: chicago title problems

a title search on a moped in chicago cost $90, my sisster inlaw just did one last month. just tell them you lost your title and you need to do a title search. since it will come back in someone elses name you will then transfer the title to you, you will be out 150-200$$$$ all together. If it is 1983 or older, you dont need a title, just a bill of sale, you can make this affter you bought it, just make sure you have the sellers full name. good luck. here in MI I can register a moped with no title for $30 for three years. I just did one 2 days ago, good luck. IL secretary of state sucks. I use to live there. and I am still dealing with some BS on a old ticket that I went to court and paid the fine, I even proved it through the court stenographer but its still open on my record. f/n bs

Road Rash Dave /

Screw tat..PA is the same bs.

just use this place

title place

you will get tags title and registration good for 1 year and all titled to you

for 100 bucks

just did my 95 tomos and my wifes 79 moby 50v...takes 3 weeks well worth it

way better than trying to go through red tape and PURE BULL Shit of the local DMV

John Warren IhazJawas /

i used them too there is also a guy in the buy\sell threads doing titles look it up

just sell it to me. Im in chi lol. I hear the CHI kids go in the dmv with michigan or ohio bill of sales. (edited)

I just titled a few Indiana peds in IL with just a bill of sale. They need to look up the fact that Indiana does not title mopeds in the NADA book that they should have. If they still give you a hard time, try dealing with someone at the SOS bonding dept, they can do everything through the mail, just ask them to send you a title packet, you will not have to bond the bike. It will take about a month, $25 to IL DEPT OF REVENUE for sales tax and $134.00 to SOS for title and plates, they might also want a picture of your bike, specifically the vin tag.

Eric Yang /

@adam - yeah the bonding department were the ones that said i needed to bond. Sucks, my Vin tag says 5hp on it i guess in indiana 5hp needs to be registered? I might call them later on today and see why all the BS.

I'm gonna try this motorcyclenow.com thing. I just sent them an email to see what i actually get in the mail. Still sketched out with their Angelfire type website.

Still up for any other suggestions though.

Oooo yup, that 5hp on the vin tag is the problem. I got mine titled with only an IN bill of sale, but they wanted to see proof that my ped was not rated for more than 2hp. Had to direct the lady to the Murray manual on line and show her that the bike is rated at 2hp max, then no prob. I wasn't aware that any peds were factory produced with more than 2hp. Anyway, good luck!

--> Jason Kluczyk Presents: Jason Kluczyk /

Elston ave DMV. If they give you a hard time, there is a HUGE book that has titling laws for each state, have the clerk check that book. They will look up Indiana and see there is no title needed.

Titling

John Warren IhazJawas /

Im telling you motorecyclenow works i used them had a plate and reg in 2 weeks it was an awesome deal

John Warren IhazJawas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Im telling you motorecyclenow works i used them

> had a plate and reg in 2 weeks it was an awesome

> deal

it can be done with out that! $150 + $150 to make it IL ....

Eric Yang /

Im gonna see if they shoot me down at elston. If so, ill try justin at motorecyclenow. I shot him an email and he says tht hes had many people in IL find sucess. I thunk id juat rock the VT plates for a year then go for IL.

elston dmv is way more chill. they dont seem quite as angry at everything there. The best recommendation I can give is what they told me over the phone. Find where is is written on the INdmv website that mopeds are not titled or registered and print it out. Or call the INdmv and ask them to fax email you a letter stating that they do not title/reg peds. They have the big law books, they just dont want to have to look through them... at least the dudes at elston will bother to help you at all...

for what it's worth I have heard that chicago is starting to make it much harder to do the whole "out of state bill of sale" registration... I actually got a letter from them some time after registering my ped saying that they shouldn't have registered it in the first place and that it was no longer valid until i had it bonded. bonding is like, for boats, rv's, and abandoned cars. I actually called one bonding service and they said they dont bond anything worth under $5,000. wtf

Eric Yang /

Oh man thats way shitty. 5k? its not like i'm trying to ride anything fancy i just want to be able to ride my rusty 30 year old bike to get beer without some shit head asking why i dont have plates. Maybe titling service it is. Atleast i can do that from my couch.

then have a friend in MI regis your bike for $20, you get a sticker good for 3 years and a registration slip.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account