can someone let me know common issues with garelli mopeds?

I Look Like Shit /

I know nothing about Garellis... I might have the opportunity to buy this near me:

Can anyone tell me about it? What's up with that oil injection?

Thanks!

Re: can someone let me know common issues with garelli mopeds?

If the price is right, grab that bike quick. It's a Gran Sport LTD. I owned the identical bike brand new in 1978 and put over 20K miles on it before I stopped riding it in 1981. I now own two of them.

The only real issue with Garellis in general, is the rubber clutch. It has a tendency to swell up and stick. Other than that, they are pretty bulletproof. If you get it, you may have to open up the tranny cover and replace the 6 rubber clutch "bushings". They had a tendency to melt and stick to everything inside the tranny.

That oil injection was stock equipment and "state of the art" back in 1978. It was a huge convenience over pre-mixing. However, over time, they got very difficult to pump. I still have mine on both my GS LTD's just to keep the bike oiginal.

If you decide not to get it, let me know so I can take a crack at it :-) (edited)

Only problem with garellis is they possess too much awesome....

Plus you get amazing saddlebags? Awesome.

Also if the taillight or brakelightswitch is not legit, they will kill when you apply the brakes..no big deal just replace bulb or switch or ground.or bypass the switch..easy.

Yeah, those garelli "oil injectors" are neat. It's just an oil reservoir on the side of the tank, and when you press the pluger down it squirts a predetermined amount of oil into the gas tank.

I Look Like Shit /

well its on york, pa craigslist if anyone wants it. PM me if you'd like the guys number or just contact him directly... and whoever buys it, please give me dibs on the cat eyes and saddlebag if you dont want them!!! i just can't take on more than one project right now as i need to learn how to put my puch back together lol. hope someone gets a nice bike

thats a good deal on a great bike. snowflakes, saddlebags and a title!

Yep, great bike for the price. I have the rally sport cousin and it's a great, dependable bike. I've had mine as a daily rider for two years with little to no problems, just a few little standard maintenance issues.

I remember reading about the clutch problems before buying my garelli and I expected to have to mess with it by now, but I haven't had to and probably put 2-3k miles on it.

One thing about the oil injector - on mine someone had already taken it off so I've just been pre-mixing. But the little inlet hole where it was hooked up will spray a little gas out on your leg while you're riding if the tank is near full. I think the wind whipping by the hole creates a little vacuum and pulls out the gas. I tried plugging it but I guess the gas cap isn't vented because then the gas stopped flowing.

Anyway, wouldnt trade my garelli for anything - classy bike.

I Look Like Shit /

yeah everyone on here seems to love em and for a titled bike nearby with some cool features... i think its a great deal, i just hope someone cool from here gets it, especially since i've already had so much help with my own bike...

Trevor "Scraps" Arms /

Make sure you check your blinker fluid often.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account