took it all apart! now what?

I Look Like Shit /

I was in the garage taking off the forks of the Newport to find out why the bolts were so loose. I get the forks off, and I'm like... fuck it. Took the whole ped apart. So here's the dilemma... I have limited knowledge and money, but I'm looking for ideas for what to do. Looking really for some detailed build threads so I can find how other people attacked this. Here are my main questions though:

What should I do while it's apart?

What should I replace? (I'm keeping it stock but I'd like to know what seals/gaskets/etc. should be replaced as basic maintenance).

What's the best way to clean out the tank while its all apart? (I used muriatic acid about two months ago but it is rusty as hell in there again).

How about paint? I'm not interested in powder-coating it, just a shiny blue maybe (cause then I'll paint whatever set of snowflakes I buy orange and I'll have a sweet Mets bike)...

Really just looking for any tips as this is my first time rebuilding a moped... I've tinkered around with old Saabs/Renaults/Volkswagens/etc so I'm sure I can figure out most of this stuff, but of course, there's a lot of impressive work here so I figured I'd ask! Thanks for any help

Re: took it all apart! now what?

Start here Manuals and here Fred's Guide

Good luck, use the search function and the Wiki page.

I Look Like Shit /

Yeah Fred's Guide was how I got it running when I bought it... Everything runs fine with it now, for the most part (except minor things, of course), but I'd like to do everything I need to do to keep it running well and clean... especially while everything is apart.

The main thing would be to clean and grease the usuals (fork bearings, fork sliders, wheel bearings. Do one thing at a time and don't get burnt out. As for tank cleaning many things will remove the rust but you need to protect the tank or it will rust right back. I usually rince the tank out with baking soda and water to neutralize the acid, then flush out with alcohol to get the remaining water out. Then I coat the inside of the tank with oil to keep it from rusting. Even sloshing around some premix in there wont hurt.

Cool, well on a budget I would keep everything that works or can be refurbished. Start a list for items you need/want. Go on the buy/sell forum and post a WTB thread. If you rebuild your engine, keep all of your old gaskets if they're intact and photocopy them so you can make your own either with sheet gasket from the auto parts store or Cap'n crunch cereal boxes. You could always coat your tank with brands like Kreem Coat after it gets another acid wash. ...

I Look Like Shit /

Hm ok I will get on the tank... Will look into coating the tank too, I've heard mixed reviews on Kreeming a tank but I'll probably give it a shot

Probably Fred /

Use Only por to coat tank not kreem

I Look Like Shit /

I heard red kote works well too... Got some acid sitting in there now. What kind of paints you guys use? Gonna get it sandblasted at a place here in town, I think, unless they charge too much

dont rebuild the engine unless you have to. if it's running fine and you're keeping it stock anyways then skip the rebuild because there just isn't any need for it. wouldn't hurt to replace the case oil tho.

most other things will be cosmetic so replace what you want, keep what you like. take the opportunity to clean everything up, make the wires all neat and tidy. if the cables are 30 years old then it's probably not a bad idea to invest in some new ones.

I used por15 takes a while, but i hear that kreem takes paint off. por worked good if you ask me.

I Look Like Shit /

yeah por15 worked great for rusted out saab tanks... won't be rebuilding the engine at all, no need... got some good parts from a dude in DC today and a dude who seems to have all the puch parts i need online...

only thing im really worried about (since i dont really care about paint since these fuckers get so mucked up anyway- at least mine lol) is rewiring all the electricals... i am literally confounded by wires...

Probably Fred /

Very simple wiring just make sure you use all the coils on the stator.

If you hardwire it like in the wiki you will be sad.

I could send you pictures of the wiring/bus on a working bike of mine if you email me

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Very simple wiring just make sure you use all the

> coils on the stator.

> If you hardwire it like in the wiki you will be

> sad.

> I could send you pictures of the wiring/bus on a

> working bike of mine if you email me

yep, do not hardwire it.

I Look Like Shit /

yeah ken ill shoot you an email. i wasnt planning on hardwiring but what's the drawbacks?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account