What would you have done different as a newb?

Michael Dreamboat /

Just wondering if any of you looking back would do anything different when you first got your moped. Looking back does anything strike you as obviously wrong?

Just curious as a newb.

Re: What would you have done different as a newb?

Wish I had known what carb tuning was all about (upjet, downjet, blah blah blah).

Paying someone else to split the case install new bearings and seals and stock 50cc top end on a Kreidler, just to still have a little shifty-shakes.

I would have learned how to do it myself, and done it.

I wish I wouldn't have siezed my first bike (stock vespa).

This is a very cool thread idea, I was a noob in '82? me thinks, prob was my '78 50v was almost new then too! I put thousands of miles on that bike, riding doubles a lot of the time. But I was lean and mean then. 150lbs soaking wet. I guess I never should have sold it, the meat mind I sold it to wrecked it within a week of ownership. It was ok, I hated that kid. I have never gotten into kitting/racing, just like them to run stock. I moved on to some wicked fast motorcycles, and some mellow ones. And cars, I love cars. Never forgot the mopeds though. First legal freedom. Beat the shit out of my very nice letour 10spd! Wish I still had that too! The only maint I ever did to that 50v was 2 brake cables, (broke them both in a panic stop) Lucky to live through that, and one rear tire, oh and having variator greased, there was a dealer near me, they would grease it for free! I ordered a motobecane grease gun through them, but the place burned to the ground before it came. :( Still a hole where that shop was. Grass grows there now. (ins fraud) so says the FD. There were only Motobecanes and Puchs where I lived, and 1 Jawa. The hardware store had 5 lem's! Never sold, collected dust, were eventualy moved to basement, 2 white, 1 blue one red, and one grey. Mags on them, all with no title but cert of origin. Wish I knew what happened to those! Mopeds were like 500.00 Brand new out of the crate! A Le-moped was almost 700..Vlx was 649.99! I had an Mb-5 for a while but traded it for an El-camino of all things as winter was comming, STUPID move. Should never have done that, that thing was FAST! El-Camino is the official white trash staff car too. Thing was a pos, v-6 3spd on the floor. Hated it. But it had a heater. Gave it away in the spring. I despised that car. Got a '73 olds omega, (nova) with 350 rocket engine! Real car! Started finding mopeds at garage sales, in junk heaps, got back into them. Love them to this day, even though I' am too fat @200lbs to be comfortable in traffic. Hobbit rips pretty hard though. If I do not get hurt this season I may sell all, and buy a real motorcycle, will keep my current 50v though, (sorry Shelly) Short hops are what mopeds were built for. It could be fun to build a blaster, maybe a tomos step through? 70cc kit and pipe? Real tires? Hmmm, I guess what I would do different, is to save all the good toys I had back in the day. I wish my Hobbit had blinkers, I almost got hit in traffic twice today.

for my second bike I got really run down project bike, the bike was exactly as promised but still turned into a longer, more expensive project then I thought it would. Ultimately im glad I got it and working on it has been awesome, but I was outta my league at first and that led to a lot of frustration. It might have been better to get something that was half the project (like, more then a rusty frame and a non-working engine) for a second bike because if you get in to a daunting build that is too huge too early the tendency is to lose interest.

on a side note, I also bought a lot of parts in the wrong order and found that a lot of what i ordered wasn't gonna work months after the fact. Moral of the story: dont buy anything till you actually need it and are ready to put it on the bike.

measure twice, buy once. (edited)

should have started with a stock bike

sir thaddeusforemen /

should have gotten a puch instead of a 50v. yikesss

should have not blown up my lazer sport 50. should have blown up other shit. locked up my stolen bikes better. kitted my old magnum when i first got it. got a puch sooner. kept my passport.

Not sure, but I might have gotten (or tried to get) one of those brand new variated Pugeout (sp) mopeds for the same price as my Tomos used. No complaints with my Tomos at all though The dealer only 20 km away in Holland. Pugeout cars plentiful here but never saw a moped of theirs. Enjoy.

I would have bought a running moped lol.

fallout Survivor /

RTFM.

I wish i didn't try to start my PACER SS while on the center stand and sitting on it like it's some excersie bike....so stupid. All it did was bend the stand mounting a bit.Now the back wheel touches the ground most of the time. DUMB i dont care what moped you have DO NOT START IT WHILE SITTING ON IT ON ITS STAND! Do you newbies hear me?

crash my newport @ 13, helmet was too big, and i think i destroyed my brain back then to begin with.

other than that nothing. im the man

I would have stuck to the repair and performance sections out of necessity, and ignored the rest of this stupid site.

fallout Survivor /

Exactly.

i would have started working right away instead of procrastinating and worrying about fucking something up.

its just mopeds.

Wish I would have known about Treats/77Mopeds, as I bought all my first moped parts on eBay for jacked up prices.

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

I would have paid up a little more to get better quality parts instead of always going for the cheapest. You get what you pay for and often its only a little bit more $ to get wayyy better stuff.

aabsolutely nothing, i kick ass and have no regrets.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Great thread.

I would have kept every ped I started with and not ridden dirty. After winning a DUI award in 86, I got several more moped related tickets. I ended up riding mopeds, nopeds and bicycles for 5 years. I got lucky -Fixing them was a breeze, all basic shit once I learned what to look for.

I got free or traded work for:

A 70s Vespa Ciao

A Puch Newport (?)

An AMF Roadmaster

Two QT-50s

A Suzuki FA-50

A Vespa Grande

and a couple scoots I don't remember. I liked the peds so I remember them.

I sold the stock engine that came on my TSA because I was having trouble getting it to run right, the only regret I have from my super noob days >.<

I could really use the head off that bad boy right now.

i would have knows how to fix my magnum (air leaks + it needs an exhaust) instead of selling it for $250

wouldn't have bought a trac

I would have made every mistake again.

Every lesson taught to me by my fuck ups or lack of knowledge is more valuable than any success. Though the successes feel mo bettah at the time.

Dangertooth -PipeDreams/- /

I would have read the fucking wiki. MAN OH MAN does that thing have a lot of knowledge just begging to be read.

I wouldn't have circumcised my cock for that Jewish bitch who dumped me the next day.

Its good to be back on the pages.

I would've put the circlips back in properly so they wouldn't spring out and fuck up my new piston/cylinder.

I would've gotten the proper tools rather than using a hammer and screwdriver to split cases etc.

I would've gotten a lighter bike. Grandes are heavy and I live in a hilly area.

I would have kept my mint Sebring and gone homeless instead of paying rent.

Salsa Salsa /

I would have got a scooten

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account