Tomos cut out while riding - help!

Well I was riding today and It just cut out and screetched to a halt. I walked it about a mile down the rode kicked it again, started right up. Got about a mile away and it did the same thing over. I walked it to a gas station and realized It had no oil. (Don't worry, I've already beat myself up) After that I got some 2 cycle oil from the gas station, egh. Put it in got about a mile farther; cut out again. Now this time It didn't start back up. About 3 hours later I got a trailer to come get me. I got home and noticed air bubbles in the oil line. Well I have finally got those out, and still no start. I can still pedal the bike back and forth so it doesn't seem to have seized, to my knowledge. I would appreciate any assistance on this. Thank you.

Re: Tomos cut out while riding - help!

You have probably damaged the piston. You may have to pull the cylinder to inspect it, and the piston to see if the rings are frozen and if there is significant scoring.

ɯɐpɐ ʞunʞs /

Sometimes I think it would be a really good idea if we had a repair forum.

we do - It has about 4 active members monthly!

Thanks Mars! You are very helpful on every question I have, I really appreciate it.

bump

bump? really?

BryAn eurism /

Seal popped out behind the stator. Diiiing!

Oil injection never fails on Tomos (dealer quote). I bought a used model Tomos that didn't have it out of a fear I would do EXACTLY what you did through accident abuse or "and then I got stoned".

Enjoy.

Chris Davis /

I just took the injection off the Used 2005 Tomos ST I bought (1400 miles) last weekend. Never have trusted oil injection.

Might try putting premix in the carb bowl also. Good luck :0

Yeah, why did you bump?

because I find bumping hilarious on these forums.

fast track to troll status

UPDATE - Still haven't got it started. I have taken the pantyhose off, jetted back to a 60 and no avail. I think it may not be getting fuel correctly. The fuel petcock isn't clogged and there is fuel in the bowl. I feel as if the gas isn't going any farther for some reason. But I don't know. I'm really baffled and pissed really because I can't go and ride. Any suggestions would be nice, as I am stuck.

If the fuel in the bowl premix or is it the straight fuel when you had no oil. Just something to think about.

Do you have compression?

The head does have compression - I took out the spark plug and there was air. I also took off the exhaust and thee was air coming out of it.

Straight fuel I believe. But Isn't any fuel in the bowl non mixed as it has yet to be mixed?

Yeah, with the plug out air would come out even with no rings at all. You need to check to see if your flywheel has significant resistance when turning over with the plug in. Like I said initially, I think you may have seized and that could have damaged the rings causing them to no longer do their job.

Okay, how do I do that? I can pedal back and forth just as easily as before if that means anything/

I'm going to try to take out the spark plug and squirt some starter fluid in there. Will report back.

you will either need a compression tester or you will need to take your cylinder apart and inspect the piston with your eyeballs. look for scratches and fused/stuck rings. you can not accurately gauge your compression with your finger tip. You seized. it happens. open your cylinder and deal with it.

I opened it. I didn't see anything that looked to be broken or scratcheed and the rings didn't seem to be stuck.

pics? if you got it running that second time it was a soft seize. the scoring on the piston can be faint, more like a smudge. It doesn't have to be a huge gouge or anything. find it and gently sand it with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. seizing the bike would not cause something unrelated to also fail, like your jetting. however riding to lean/hot for extended periods of time can cause your plug to crap out. just replace it and eliminate that as a potential issue.

and premix from now on.

PICS--

1111.jpg
1112.jpg
1113.jpg

--- looking at it idk if that is normal or not

wow

Yes, your piston has sustained damage, from the looks of it.

Now, the big question is: when you kick the pedals backwards to crank the engine, does the piston move? Pedaling forward on modern Tomos peds is entirely independent from cranking the engine.

If your piston doesn't move (ie: the engine won't turn over) then it proves that you've seized (although the scoring on your piston indicates this already). In which case, you'll have to do some reading on how to extract a stuck piston, and look into repairing it, and replacing the rings. Good luck.

I'm not an oil injection hater, but if you use it, you have to keep it full, to avoid air in the lines when you lean for a turn, at the very least.

your piston is beat. maybe salvageable, hard to say because the pictures are incomplete (cant see the rings) and the flash is not helping. take the piston all the way out of the cylinder and look at the rings. for help cleaning the piston up search through the forum history. there's lots of info about this already and it should be plenty to get you on your way.

Chris Davis /

For gods sake, rip that injection out and premix. Its really not that much of a hassle. I just keep a pre-measured bottle in my saddle bags, in case I need to fill away from home. (most of the time, when I get to a quarter a a tank I just drain it and use it in my two cycle lawn boy lawn mower and dump the oil in the gas can and run to the gas station a mile away and I'm good for another 3 weeks).

I used to to absolutely hate to have to constantly check the lines for bubbles and be afraid I'd run lean. It's just not worth it. As you are finding out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account