No key for Hobbit PA50II

I do not have a key for my Hobbit. Can I hotwire it so it does not need a key, or can someone tell me where I can get a replacement ignition switch for less than an arm and a leg?

Re: No key for Hobbit PA50II

just hotwire it

Dangertooth -PipeDreams/- /

Scroll to the very bottom of the page. type "bypass hobbit ignition" into the google search. boom. done.

fallout Survivor /

typically you simply dissassemble the headlight assembly and there is a black wire on the ignition (or somewhere). Just pull that because it is grounding out the ignition unless the key cylinder is turned.

Disconnect the wires from the key unit and connect the red wire to the black. Tape off the green and black/white wires so they can't connect to anything.

90% sure that's it.

Martian for the win!

Thank you. I had searched for every combination of terms I could thing of other than "bypass". Now to get it going!

--> Jason Kluczyk Presents: Jason Kluczyk /

black wire from stator to black wire from coil. done.

Yeah, but its nice to have a real kill switch sometimes. I kill mine near my house so as not to bother neighbors at night.

I like decomp kill switchy's on Hobbits.

--> Jason Kluczyk Presents: Jason Kluczyk /

Mars™   Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, but its nice to have a real kill switch

> sometimes. I kill mine near my house so as not to

> bother neighbors at night.

he just asked how to "hotwire"

that's the simplest way...can add a kill switch inline from there.

Emil Kniemel /

from what i remember with the wiring. if you just disconnect the ignition/key completely, the original kill switch will still work. try that out first i guess.

Thomas Jessen /

I have a switch and key you can have if you want it. Would love to trade it for a speedometer cable and sheath.

t-bjessen@sbcglobal.net

608-362-6558

Hobbits have a Kill switch on the right bar? I use the key, but yeah? I have never touched the decomp on my Hobbit, owned it since '98! Easy to start without. If I were do youse guys think it could hurt it? I use the de-comp on 50v always. To start and stop it.

If you have a battery hobbit, the key switch is a little more useful than what's been said already. There are 4 wires going to the ignition key in this case: Black/White, Green, Black, and Red.

The first two are for the kill; when the key is NOT turned, the Black/White is connected to Green, which means no spark. "Hotwire" the bike by pulling either of those wires, then capping them so they don't ground something else in there. You'll then have to rely on your handle killswitch or kill your bike with decomp.

The Black and the Red wires are for the lighting circuit; turning the key "on" connects these and turns your running lights on. This can be really useful. If you're missing the key and still want this feature, I recommend installing a simple toggle switch for those guys, or otherwise disconnect your battery whenever you're done riding.

"78 here, batt free, wish I had the cdi with blinkers, no one here knows hand signals! Traffic will be the death of me!

friend lost his key, popped the ign. cyl out, pulled the circlip.

turned the plastic part to run, done.

key controls kill, horn and brakelight on his 80 pa2 i believe.

while you have the cyl out, take it to a locksmith to rekey?

sometimes they have pity when you tell them it's for a moped and charge less.

or dump all the tumblers out yourself, then anything can turn the lock.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account