Yet another electrical/lighting question.

Heres the deal, basically all of us are done with dim lights, blown lights, lack of vision at night on unlit streets and all that shit, I ride a lot of country roads, no lights, just pitch black, i don't want to end up like my buddy that hit a deer on his ped at 45mph so i've been working on a few lighting techniques. Currently I have a kitted E50 with the treats 12v 50 (or 55) watt cdi, a blue tent suv halogen fog light and a LED tail light i got at napa, specs on headlight at 12.8v 55w, specs on tail is a 16 led bulb designed for 12v systems, before this headlight i was running a standard 12v 27w 1157? or 1156 single filament bulb, same led tail, voltage regulator, all was fine tail light was bright and visible even in the daylight, headlight just wasn't doing it for me though. so now i have this halogen and it's great, super bright but i want brighter... enough with this though, time for the questions..

(1) Do you NEED a regulator in order to run an led tail light?

(2) Is it possible for the lighting coil to produce more that 12v 55w of power at higher rpm?

(3) If i put in a 12.8v 100w H3 halogen and run my LED tail straight from the stator with no regulator will it blow?

I tried wiring the H3 directly to the coil, no reg, no tail, and it was BRIGHT, then i had an idea to take the one wire from the stator, split it to two, run one to head and the other to reg then to tail from reg, in my head i figured it would just regulate the tail but not the headlight but after doing so, i thought it may still regulate the headlight because the wires are just split jumping into two. the main question i NEED answered is can you run an LED with no regulator and not blow it. Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to legit, helpful replies.

Re: Yet another electrical/lighting question.

Bump.

leds like dc voltage it would be best to run a regulator/rectifier.

you want a bright light?

run a square 12v tomos headlight.

they are bright, have hi-low funtion and OEM parts are still available.

find the simple square 12v box voltage regulator that come on tomos, they either work or don't, and you need another. i think treatz have em

grab some motorcycle LED's from autozone/napa/cap/whatever, they are all wired internally with a rectifier.

, thats your best case scenario.

if you wanna keep your cool round headlight, get a 55watt sylvania bulb, and if you clean the glass/brass bell of the light you can use solder to hold it in.

all my personal tailights i make, out of 1" vinyl braided tubing from home improvement stores, with two LED's jammed in each end. i wrap this tube around the back of my seat (so you can see it from the sides as well as the back.) solder everything.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account