Sachs engine for a Nippy

I need to find a Sachs engine for a mark 1 Nippy and I've seen a few for sale... I'm not too worried about being authentic, but I've been told that Sachs engines are interchangeable. Does that mean that technically I can pick up any Sachs 50cc and it will fit on the bike?

Re: Sachs engine for a Nippy

John Joedicke /

A regular Sachs moped engine will not fit your Mk1 Norman Nippy. Contact EACC over in the UK and give a shout out for Mark Daniels. I have a Mk4 and had to source a Villiers 50cc out of Wales and ship to Canada. It was a basket case motor and was pricey.

Daniel Cogan /

It was actually Mark Daniels that told me about that... that's why I'm curious. What's REALLY bothering me about this moped is that he said it's a Mk1, but it has a Villiers exhaust attached to the frame. Sure, there's the chance that the previous owner had some Villiers engine mounted to it I guess, but I can't find another reason for it being there which is why I just want to know what sort of engine to look out for, whether Villiers or Sachs...

See attached files for pics!

Photo0426.jpg
Photo0427.jpg
Photo0428.jpg

John Joedicke /

I would be looking for a single speed Sachs over in Holland etc. Not likely you will find anything to mount up without modifications on this side of the pond. My mark 4 Nippy

HPIM0660.jpg

Daniel Cogan /

Wow, that's a nice bike! I've got two Mk5's and the Mk1 I'm working on at the moment. I just lost out on an engine I was bidding on from Germany. The left handlebar grip has a built in gear shift so it would have been geared originally, but would your guess be Villiers or Sachs?

John Joedicke /

Villiers 3K motor, 2 speed on the grip. Possibly Amal grips. Daniels should have a motor and carb for that.

Daniel Cogan /

This is very odd... I just got an email back from the guy I bought it from and he backed up Mark by saying that is was a Sachs engine that was removed, so who knows what the Villiers exhaust's doing there! :-/

The small bodied 50 series Sachs should fit the frame, might just have to make an adapter plate to shift the hole alignment without cutting up either.

bavatus2ct0.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account