Guitar Cord Spark Plug Wire?

I want to use shielded spark plug wire, but its expensive for a wire. I was planning on nmaking my own, using some shielding sleeve and a regular spark plug wire, but then i realized i have 20+ feet of shielded coaxial guitar cable. Would it work as a shielded spark plug wire? Some of it is pretty high quality stuff and looks almost like coaxial cable like you would use for a cable box, just multi strand. The only problem i could see is that the cable is designed for a couple millivolts, not thousands of volts. But the dialectric on this between the shield and core is pretty thick. Any thoughts or past experiences?

Re: Guitar Cord Spark Plug Wire?

Have you ever taken apart or cut open a spark plug wire?

Go to the local garage and get a few discarded previously enjoyed plug wires from the scrap pile and use the best of the bunch on the bike.

I have plenty of spark plug wire. Its not like im doing this as a substitue because i have none. Im after the shielded effect of the guitar cable

You gonna gt zapped.

Possibly. That would be nothing new.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear enough. I'm talking about guitar cable. The kind that has jacks on either end that is used to plug the guitar into the amp.

Try it. What is the worst that could happen?

I wa thinkin about it. I was going to try hooking it up to my tesla coil to try the dialectic resistance.

Overpriced Parts /

Worse cause you need more inside wire and more insulation.

The cap and coil needs to have something solid to bit into too

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

sumthin is gonna fry, i guess Im not getting this. You have our permission to do this.. so just do it already

Try it - worst that can happen is the wire inside fries and the spark backfeeds to the CDI box and the little wisp of smoke escapes from the back of the control box.

If you want to shield the spark plug wire then just get some braided wire sheathing and put the wire into it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account