Transporting a moped with a car

I'm planning on moving and I'm trying to not rent a u-haul. I'l like to just take a car, is there an easy way, or a hard way to transport a moped using a car? Any rear bike racks that would be strong enough? I've got a Free Spirit so I've got no cross bar.

Re: Transporting a moped with a car

fallout Survivor /

If your car is big enough they can fit in the trunk by putting the seat down as in a Honda Accord, and actually 2 with some deconstruction.

If you take off the pedals, remove the seat, fold the handle bars down and decouple the neck , you can really get them into smaller cars.

Bike carriers are generally not strong enough not without some serious reinforcement straps. You can purchase a tow bar for a lot of cars and a carrier plate that will hold a moped or scooter on the back. Serious nylon weight bearing straps need to be included.

take the wheels and handlebars off and put the back seat down and it should fit in the trunk on its side

John Warren IhazJawas /

i transported mine in my trunk of a ford taurus front forks sticking out lol just tied the trunk down

Paul Degenaro /

Take the tank off or drain it first so it doesn't leak into your car and stink it up. Lucky you have a Free Spirit so its easy.

sir thaddeusforemen /

Drop the engine, remove wheels, unbolt handle bars. easy as pie.

i'm a pro at it now.

DAM Kevin Boyd /

i got my targa home in my dads trunk without taking anything off..just drain it, throw it in, and tie the trunk down. bazing!

John Warren IhazJawas /

DAM Kevin Boyd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i got my targa home in my dads trunk without

> taking anything off..just drain it, throw it in,

> and tie the trunk down. bazing!

exactly except i didn't drain it but i had plastic down it did take 3 days for the gas smell to dissipate

I found it easier to take my passenger front seat out rather than taking a wheel off or something like that.

Fit my tomos in the back of a Focus two door hatch. Just loosened the bars and put them down. shut off the petcock and put down towels. I wasnt expecting it to leak from the tranny though =/ got a big puddle in my trunk. Windows down and AC on for 2 hours of driving. The fumes were giving me a nice buzz =P

I put my ciao right in the back seat of my protege5. Only thing that comes off is the front tire, but fits with it on if I'm to lazy being lazy..

. (Nick) Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I found it easier to take my passenger front seat

> out rather than taking a wheel off or something

> like that.

HUh..? Hows that easier? Lol

4 bolts for seat vs 2 for the wheel. Twice the work. Just move the seat up all the way

I Transport my general top tank in a camry with everything still intact. Don't have to take off anything.

mine fit here, in fact minus one backseat and two front wheels, two maxis fit long-way in a mercedes 240d

(edited)

IMG_0486.jpg

That's what I was thinking, you have a picture of a ped on a rack like that?

I can fit my targa in the back of my ford explorer perfect. Upright and everything. just got to maneuver

Throw a mattress or old futon on your trunk lid and tie the ped down on it

Marcus Tegtmeier /

I guess I should have mentioned that there will be two people in the car along with clothes, computer, small television, some video games and other stuff. I am moving after all. Also it will be a 13 hour drive.

Marcus Tegtmeier /

So far this looks like the best option, can you tell me more about this rack?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Pull off the pedal cranks, fold down the bars, pull the front wheel, maybe pull the seat.

Once you do all that mopeds get really small. I fit a Hobbit and a half in my Toyota Paseo using that method and that is a TINY car.

One thing to keep in mind is to drain the gas and put a tarp and or blanket down so you don't cess up your car.

I also like to put either mittens or winter socks on the forks and the handle bars grips so they don't fuck anything up.

If grips touch your roof they fuck it up. They divot the foam and leave these nasty black marks.

And the bottom of forks can scratch the shit out of your paint or damage your upholstery.

If you have a reciever hitch get a Hitch-Haul rack. its a flat platform. the instructions say not to put scooters or motorcycles on them. ive put two peds on at once and they work great.

buy an el camino problem solved

John Warren IhazJawas /

or a Subaru Baja lol put a blnket on the top of your car and tie it down

SkUG SkUGosarus /

When i stupidly ran out of petrol whilst driving my Raleigh RM4 home from work, my friend just so happened to be passing in his 2 door hatchback (alfra romeoareo "mito") - opened the boot, put the seats down and off we went - boot would have shut if we moved the seats forward 1inch

No petrol to leak out...

Dry clutch so no oil to worry about

Chain slightly oily - had a newspaper in the boot - sorted

Jobsagoodun

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account