1982 urban express choke problem

Getting frustrated with my 82'Express. If I leave the choke system installed it starts fine but runs out of fuel in 2-3 minutes. If I remove the choke it hardly starts but stays running just fine when warmed up. Help?

Re: 1982 urban express choke problem

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

the choke richens your carb via more fuel than air/if it's dying on you the choke probably isnt working right and choking out. (too much fuel)

your main fuel line goes to the carb so if you run out of fuel or lack of fuel ... your fuel delivery is f'd up between the intake and the tank, start cleaning! Im not a big fan of hondas autochoke system I take all mine off and deal with the hard starts. (edited)

With the auto choke attached, after starting right up, it actually leans it out and runs out of fuel in 2 minutes, not flooding it. The tank is clean and the fuel line is new, no restrictions at all. I does not want to start if the choke is not on it, so I am stumped. If I thought replacing the auto choke (one on ebay) would do it, I would spend the $60 in a heart beat. I taught auto tech for 25 years but this has got me. Thanks for any help.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Mine did the same thing. It is a fuel flow problem. Make sure the petcock is clean, and flowing good. Also, make sure your gas cap vent isn't clogged, or try it without the cap.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

yeah disconnect the fuel line at the carb, if there isnt a good steady flow coming out the fuel line the problem is the cap vent / dirty/rusty tank / petcock gummed up / clogged line.

If you have good flow out the line then your carb is gummed up and you need too tear it apart and clean it 3X the correct way, not just enough to get by.

The way you worded your post I took it as you thought that the choke was the problem you were running out of gas, the gas flow dont work that way.

you need to put an inline filter on it also to keep your dirty system from clogging the carb

The fuel flow seems to be fine and I have cleaned the carb several times. AS I said, it runs great without the choke hooked up so I know it is not the main fuel line causing the problem, it is just a bugger to start without the choke installed. When installed it starts right up but will slowly run out of fuel and die out. I am confident that I have the hoses installed correctly and the choke appears to not be a problem. It runs too good without the choke to be a main fuel supply problem. Surely someone out there has experienced this.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Don't be quite so confident. Technicians' and builders' over-confidence is how I make the big bux.

You're assuming something is good when it isn't.

That's all I have to say about that.

What is your suggestion then?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

When installed it starts right up but will slowly run out of fuel and die out..

Describe in better detail.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Clean the carbs idle ports & bleeds.

I could sit here and type guesses for hours.

Study a working Express and compare the tube routing and bypass functions, the oil injector's function and the choke's bi-metal "snap" point temp.

You're not seeing something or assuming something is right when it isn't.

Assuming you've checked the compression...

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

just how are you checking the running of this bike? by letting it sit on the stand or are you riding it???????? and how long are you riding it? none of this is making sense!

heres a pic of how the choke is supposed to be connected and check to see if yours is the same, should be if its starting with it on, but lets check anyway.

Thanks for the diagram Gruff...my hoses are connected exactly as shown I am sorry to say. Here is what I have done---cleaned the carb thoroughly several times, new hose from tank--flows freely, cleaned bystarter/choke but have not replaced those hoses as they appear to be ok, compression is great because when it does run it has plenty of pep and it starts on the first kick. The problem is when the bystarter/choke is installed as it is now, it starts right up, revs ok , and can be ridden for about a minute before it starts to lose power and then will eventually just die out. It will restart but not stay running. If you let it sit for a half hour, it will start right up and run fine for about a minute again, then die out. It is definitely not flooding but running out of fuel. If I disconnect and plug off the bystarter/choke it is hard to start and runs a little rougher until warmed (of course) and then it will stay running for as long as I want to and has plenty of power. But it starts very hard this way. I taught hs auto tech for 20 years and have ridden bikes for just as long but this has me stumped. If I thought throwing a different choke on it would fix it (one on ebay for $65) I would do it in a heart beat. What am I missing here? Thanks again.

someone here removed the autochoke and put a y splitter in the fuel line routed to a little primer/bulb/pump and into the choke hose inlet in the intake. just an idea.

The symptoms you describe are what happens when you have worn rings. I had a Puch do the exact same thing you describe. It drove me crazy until I tested the compression while warm.

Just because it runs great and with pep when it's first started doesn't necessarily mean the rings are OK, however, running perfectly for long spells isn't what worn rings usually do. The Puch I had would actually run long enough and well enough to ride it around the block a few times before it started to take a shit.

Are you putting it on the road and under load when it's running great?

Yep, I can ride it for a little while, maybe a minute, and then it just starts to lose rpm and power. Before it starts to lose it, it has some pep and accelerates well. As I said, without the choke hooked up it will run a long time with power. I will check the compression, what should it be? Thanks for your help.

I would like to see a drawing of that before I try it to make sure I did it right. I am ready to try anything. Thanks,

I don't know the exact number, well over 120 I'm thinking, but it should be listed in the wiki or on Moped Riders site in the repair manual maybe...

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Uphill Chris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> someone here removed the autochoke and put a y

> splitter in the fuel line routed to a little

> primer/bulb/pump and into the choke hose inlet in

> the intake. just an idea.

Got a pic of that?

It is definitely not flooding but running out of fuel.

Not to beat a dead horse but, for the second time, it's the petcock. Clean it again.

no pic, sorry. i think it was shawn/fatrat440, maybe?

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

good compression on these is 150 but mine mostly have 120 and run great no starting issues

It cant be running out of fuel unless you have blockage from the capvent/ tank down or the carb/float is the issue, fuel line goes direct to the carb. and you say it runs fine without the auto choke attached so you have to look elsewhere. Assumeing the gas flow is good then it has to be the auto-choke, a valve isnt working right or theres a crack in the lines or in a nozzle if you havent checked already.

Take the hoses off the whole choke assembly and do a visual on the plastic nozzles there must be an airleak or blockage in the choke somewhere causing the running out of gas mirage. Or you may have an airleak somewhere in your system somewhere, head. cyl, intake,carb......crank seals, this would give an effect of running out of gas when it dies. check for airleaks!

When it does as you say run out of gas when the auto-choke is connected are you checking the bowl drain to see if there is gas in the bowl? if not do so. If there is gas in the bowl then its the auto-choke..

When you disconnect the auto-choke assembly, where what and how are you plugging the line routes. Oreillys autoparts carries a plug pack that works great for plugging the carb nozzles for this.

when it does die on you make sure you check the carb bowl for fuel so we can rule that out... or not. Im leaning towards air leaks at this point if your fuel flow is positively good

I appreciate all your time with the response. I think I am headed in the direction of low compression now as I checked it today and 70 is about all it would pump up. Pretty low, huh? Low enough to not generate enough vacuum to draw in fuel once the choke backs off? What should the compression be? Thanks for all of the posts.

Tol' ya so!

Yes you did! I checked it by using the kick starter about 5-6 pumps and only got 70. It that the best way to check it?

OK, so where is the best place to buy new rings and gaskets so I can get my Express compression back up? Thanks for everyones help.

No, but kicking it should produce way more than 70 psi, more like 120 or better.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

I thought you said you had good compression early in this post anyway, I get mine at bike bandit, they are spensive!! chances are you need a clean bore job and thats way too spensive! You may be throwing money away. Check the bore on the cylinder you got now and see if it's up to specs which is in the manual. If so do what you will, If not??

Probably best to get the shocko at treats. You get the whole 60cc kit for 80.00 where youd be paying 35.00+ for new rings and stuff not to mention the gaskets, circlips blah blah so your probably talking about 50.00+ and taking a chance that the bore is worn past its life not to mention your piston. With the shocko its the same ports so its basicly a 50cc cylinder bored out. YOu may have to stepup 1 on the jet or maybe not, I didnt. In my opinion if you do this, you should go ahead and replace your crank seals to be safe and not sieze the new kit, at least those are cheap!

Thanks Gruff....I incorrectly thought I had good compression because it "felt" like it and started on the first kick. Learning alot about these little buggers thanks to you guys. What is included in the $80 kit?

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

go to treats and take a look everything is included that you need, sweet! that is .. if your just looking to replace the 50cc

cylinder,piston, rings, circlips, gaskets etc I've been really pleased with mine

tips: turn your circlips so the openings arent aligned with the insert points--oilup(2t) the needle bearing--expansion ring is for the bottom ring-- and change your crank seals (not that hard to do) for me the kick gear is always the issue of getting off, and you need a flywheel puller https://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-pa50-extremo-44mm-60-2cc-p/hobbit-44mm-kit.htm

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account