Found a cool rain cover for my USB outlet.

I don't even think I am going to paint it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timtimes/7304632028/in/photostream

Enjoy.

Re: Found a cool rain cover for my USB outlet.

USB outlet???

just did the search, ballin idea dude im adding that to my new moby

It is just crazy to me that people are charging their phones on a MOPED of all things, but that is the way the kids are rolling now. I' am lucky to leave the house with my ancient cell, if it dies it dies whatever. I like not having a phone with me, because if you do people will call you! That is a cool idea for the cap though!

I charge my phone at home every night when I sleep. I don't have a problem with it going dead. I have a charger for my car and have used it once in two years. I don't see a need for one on a bike.

Take Me Home Kev /

Could help with a breakdown though dudes.

If you only have a moped I guess, I' am just not a cell phone person. They are a leash! But nice to have for emergencies. Or if you see something for sale out on the road. (I know "says the old fart") I think those smart phones use more juice than the old school ones. Still like the cap though!

I guess i'm an old fart too because i'm not a c-phone person either. It does all kinds of crap internet, camera and i'm doing good just to be able to answer it when it rings. If I were to break down i'd be pushing it or walking home to get my truck so it probably wouldn't help anyway.

^Yes that is me too! :) Thank God some of us remember the pre-wireless days. They have a place, but I hate how people are glued to them to the exclusion of everything else.

Stephen Keller Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is just crazy to me that people are charging

> their phones on a MOPED of all things, but that is

> the way the kids are rolling now. I' am lucky to

> leave the house with my ancient cell, if it dies

> it dies whatever. I like not having a phone with

> me, because if you do people will call you! That

> is a cool idea for the cap though!

That would probably be my reaction too, if not for the following set of circumstances:

I initially added the USB outlet so I could recharge the little amplified bluetooth speaker I use to listen to Itunes (auto ring thru and hands free for voice calls as well!). I used it that way for the first couple days and then I had this urge to do a long moped run to the Zoo in Rheine. I had been there once before. They got monkeys running loose in there that you can walk around and interact with (but not touch). Same with the penguins, though you can touch them if you don't mind possibly getting bit (I had to give it a try since they let LITTLE kids in with those birds I knew SOME kid would do it. Be pretty nasty for a kid to get bit. It broke my skin.) Plus, you can take your freakin' dog to the zoo with you!! The dogs can't visit the monkey section though. lol. Still, I am so TOTALLY taking my dog to the zoo some day...

Anyway, Rheine is far enough away that I wasn't just going to go out rolling in that general direction without GPS. I don't have a separate GPS that I can use on my moped, but I do have an Iphone that has a Maps icon. Problem is, there is no turn by turn voice. No voice assist at all. You have to keep an eye on the screen and you have to keep the phone lit (auto lock off-on brightest mode so you can see it!). Sure be nice to have USB on board my moped I could charge it...... Hey wait! I got USB...but it doesn't reach to the dash. What to do? Snag USB extension cable that came with some odd USB device I bought ages ago. Use said extension to get power from seat mounted USB outlet directly to Iphone mount on handlebars!! Now remember, this all sorta came to me as I was about to leave for the Zoo, so I was pulling all this kit together as fast as I could so I could hit the rowdy road. I imagine I killed ninety minutes. Long story short. The USB outlet, the extension, it all works flawlessly and the installation of both were a piece of cake. It was a great relief not having to worry about my phone going dead and me getting lost. I set the route option to WALKING (no bike route option on Iphone Map) on the Iphone. I did this once before on a shorter trip to Bad Bentheim (castle) and the routing was excellent, but it was a real hassle not having the phone mounted and constantly powered. It is REAL EASY to take the wrong fork in the road (and there are many). That is why I made the last minute mod before running to Rheine. There was a spot on my trip where I am tooling along a standard paved bike route and I come to a fork in the road that splits in several PAVED directions. I was confused. I tried a couple of the ones heading off in the general direction the Iphone was telling me to go. I would go a couple hundred yards, look down and see my mapped position was not on my target line. Turns out the route I was suppose to take was an overgrown pathway nestled between all the paved options. It got pretty rugged going there for just a short bit (one or two km) until I was routed back onto some other pavement, but the mapping was perfect. It was also totally awesome to be riding through heavily forested areas, where the trees were so tall and thick that it was like going into a cavern. The temperature drops about ten or so degrees as you enter. A very moving primeval experience.

Of course, not every mod I have ever made in my life (many) has looked as good cosmetically as the finished product here. To be honest, the mods of my youth mostly looked like ass, even if they did function as desired. I would own the world right now if they had cheap CNC machines when I was a teen. But I digress.

I made it to the Zoo at exactly closing time (six pm). The hour and a half I spent adding the USB extension cable cost me the ability to commune among the monkeys that day. I took it in stride, smoked a couple cigarettes, snapped a victory photo of the Zoo Sign and headed back home. Two hours later, I rolled into the driveway. Total of 86 kilometers traveled.

Thoughts on the ride iteself. The pain on the last half hour of the ride was a little tough to deal with. I took a few more photo and smoke breaks on the way to the Zoo than I did on the way home, but the fact that I didn't get any rest time with the monkeys and didn't take many breaks coming home made it a little grueling on the return leg. I started late in the afternoon. Left sometime close to 3. Still managed 86 km. I would guess that on in an outright touring situation, where I am camping or lodging overnight on the road, I could probably manage 150 km per day without disabling myself to the point of losing the fun of it.

Enjoy.

Pic of above USB outlet seat mounted without the rain cap:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timtimes/7307304152/in/photostream

Pic of handlebar mounted Iphone holder and charger cable:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timtimes/7307305016/in/photostream

That makes sense then and if a ped was my main transportation for long trips I probably would add a charger as well.

That zoo sounds pretty cool. I went to a place near Chimbote, Peru that had monkeys loose like that. It was more of a park than a zoo but a great place to visit since I had never seen anything like that before. No penguins though too tropical. But they had all kinds of birds that we think of as exotic here in the states but were native there.

I can see the usefulness, just I' am soo old school I would have a map, maybe memorize the route before I left. That zoo sounds cool as hell!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account