How much is TOO much? A discussion of moped pricing

Trevor "Scraps" Arms /

Tomorrow I am buying my very first moped. I am paying $550 for a 1978 Motron sprint that comes with a title. My friend told me I was being ripped off. It is his belief that nobody should be paying more than $400 for a moped. His reasoning is "Who really wants to pay that much for a USED moped from the 70's or 80's?" I however believe i'm getting a fair deal because it comes with a title.

TL;DR

How much are YOU willing to pay for a Moped? (edited)

Re: How much is TOO much? A discussion of moped pricing

Ask your friend to get you a goodly titled moped for $400.

He has flawed logic, but if it works perhaps he can get me a nice USED 1970s Chevelle SS for a grand or so...

150 limit on most peds, up to 600 if I really HAVE to have it.

Trevor "Scraps" Arms /

$150? really? Most of the one's i've seen that go for $150 don't even run or are missing a plethora of parts

thats the way I like them! I take the big pieces of crap and bring them back to life. that being said, now I have too many and need to purge

Trevor "Scraps" Arms /

So you're the project ped kinda guy, a few of my friends got theirs froma guy named Rob who has a barn full of mopeds, some of them he restored, some of them are rusted piles of junk that he doesn't even try to sell

how many $150 peds do you have to combine to build a $400 ped?

a whole 2.66 of em!

I have a few $150 peds that the owner just didnt know what they had. they all ran after a few hours of troubleshooting

I think if you really want a moped and considering getting a titled one as a first bike is a plus, then it's worth it. You will pay a lot for the first one and as you get in touch with the moped community you will end up buying from other enthusiasts for less or hearing about a lead on other bikes. Bargaining down on bikes takes knowing what to look for and you can't do that til you have owned one.

good luck with the purchase

-Aron

I've always spent any where from $350-$800 just for the bike not including all the upgrades .

I buy ratty mopeds because I usually have to replace a lot of the shit anyways. Never paid more than 250. I have found a couple for $50.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

I don't like to pay more than $250. These aren't vintage muscle cars.

I like to think something in good condition should be worth at least half of what a new one costs. Taking that into account, a new Tomos is $1300 on up so $550 is not out of line for a clean, titled, well running moped. I think mopeds are actually under-valued in most areas.

Lots of variables are involved in moped pricing:location, condition, desirability, rarity, upgradibility, parts availibility, etc. Just be sure its what you want when you buy it.

Not bad for a titled bike, make sure it runs really well, ride it, not just for 5 mins. Depends where you live, here a titled moped always brings more $. It is worth what you are willing to pay for it like any used vehicle. Make sure tank is not full of rust. Bring a friend who knows mopeds if you are new to them.

I'm a hummed moped kinda guy . I'll buy mopeds all day long under $100 . most of mine came along easy . First moped purchase was a pretty decent maxi mkII , just need a carb s clean and some tlc . Deal came with two basket case pacer ss tt's with mo1s . Ol dude at work hooked me up with a mg pal needing garage space. Paid $75 for all !

Another deal was a 79 year old dude I never met since Phil picked em up for me . Paid less then $200 including gas money for 5 express , 6 frames , 13 motors , 12 big boxes , and 3 buckets of parts , some nos too .

That took a while to get threw . Last one ,so I don't bore you too much . Struck a 5 minute deal with a neighbor of one of my pool customers for 3.8 amf roadmasters for $55 .

That being said , I paid $280 for my sweet magnum on eBay

$500 for 2 pa50 yellow hobbits nobody wanted on MA from nonmoped guy

$75 for an Urban Express jimmy snagged for me in another DEAL

City alderman gave me a free Urban express out da blue

Mark gave me Gloria intramotor also

Traded me a urban for a kinetic

Richard wheeled a trade in my favor involving a 80s Honda motorcycle, two urbans and a Puch AD , I got the AD

High school buddy abandoned a maxi , Peugeot 103, and a tomos dirtbike at my house .

I better stop

All these mopeds around me , all these moped deals , its just too much .

Missouri doesn't require any paperwork ..... So a title does less for me , if your state requires papers then the inclusion of a title jacks up the price a tad , maybe $100--$150 ? I value a Morton at $100-- $200 mo. dollars depending on condition .

In my opinion your deal is a little high but not too high depending on where in the country you live . $100--$200 moped in Mo. Is same as a $500--$700 moped in California .

You decide , 2012

Is it a deal , do you need this moped or will a better deal present itself ?

Rant over .

HOLY SHIT !!!!. Like 5 people posted since I started my reply . (edited)

the <$150 peds are actually usually pretty easy to fix up, granted I dont buy them stripped down all the way. Like recently I got one up and running for 25 bucks and its near perfect. the FA50 I got for free from my girlfriends uncle took about 150 bucks to get going again, but even with 6800 miles on it, it pulls hard! you just have to know what it will take to get each score running again, and how to do it cheaply. the expensive part is buying performance upgrades.

$500 for a ped in the summer, $250 in the winter. no more than $150 if the bike doesnt start when i go to look at it

apollo christianson /

something not mentioned yet, i call unmolested.

to me, all original is desireable, more so then aftermarket parts

classic example, ped on CL, new carb and pipe, asking $500

figure the ped is worth $300, running, decent price

they are trying to get their $200 worth of parts back in the price of the sale.

pipe, $120, carb, $70, jets, gaskets, ec.

i would much rather buy the parts myself and put them on, then risk my money on someone elses abilities.

to me, that ped is over priced, check the buy sell forum for what used parts go for to see examples of more reasonable prices.

they're selling a bodge out of frustration, apathy or lack of ability.

ask any car guy if they expect to get out "what they got into it"

there are very few Chip Foose of mopeds.

apollo christianson /

lol that ped hasnt been rebuilt ever since it WAS built! its just these dumb locals that don't know the worth of what they have, probably just ebay searched it and saw other mopeds (ALOT nicer ones!) go for that amount.. so they think the one they have is worth that much too

I will spend more for something that no one else has had their hands on. Unless it's something I really want I won't buy anything that's been modified by someone else. I've been a mechanic for 35 years and over half of the things I have repaired have been things that were fixed by someone else first and not done right.

Harry Crank Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I like to think something in good condition should

> be worth at least half of what a new one costs.

> Taking that into account, a new Tomos is $1300 on

> up so $550 is not out of line for a clean, titled,

> well running moped. I think mopeds are actually

> under-valued in most areas.

> Lots of variables are involved in moped

> pricing:location, condition, desirability, rarity,

> upgradibility, parts availibility, etc. Just be

> sure its what you want when you buy it.

Yup. Enjoy.

I think a clean- running common moped should fall between 400-600 with title. depending on when you live that is. I challenge you to find a puch maxi for less that 600 in NYC that isnt in parts.

more rarer stuff is a little more dicey. I just paid 900 for a clean polini magnum with alot of work already done to it.

if i was you trevor, i would just go over to mopedcentral.com and pick up the maxi thats on there for 400.

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

$550 is fine for your first ped, alot of guys here haven't been following inflation and realized the dollar is worth 11% less than it was six years ago. important thing is that its legal, in your name, looks good and runs well for that price. occasionally you find deals, but most people on here enjoy fixing them and finding them cheap more than actually riding them.

you'll find yourself riding a lot more than your friend who only buys cheap.

I'm waiting for NJ Dan to chime in......

Cheapest one was a rare 1969 AV92 Europe only model ped, Mobylette dual-variated for $150 from orignal guy who his dad sent it home from France during Vietnam, still has the original Bike shop dealer stickers.

Does 50mph on 50cc stock. This 'ped goes to the grave with me.

Most was $600, it was a matching yellow hobbit sister bike to one I had, so I was for my lady, so we could have a his/hers hobbit-fest. Shit got ill on ebay, so I had to pay up for a ped that some idiot out of state ran up the price to find out it is pickup only, I paid the old guy, he lived a town over and then he fixed a grandfather clock real cheap, so It all works out in 'ped land.

It is really nice to not have to deal with titling a ped but at least in MN it is pretty easy.

I've never paid over $100 for any of the 5 mopeds i've purchased. Though, i've just been really lucky all the time, especially considering I live in SoCal...depending on the condition and such, i would say up to 5-600 could be a fair price for a runner. I might try and talk a dude down from 550 for that motron, but the price would, most likely, not be a deal breaker. But then again....i'd really like to own a motron. =_=

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

Maxis were $500-550 in 1978 dollars. Magnums were a grand. Can anyone crunch some inflation numbers on that?

What cost $550 in 1978 would cost $1817.42 in 2010.

What cost $1000 in 1978 would cost $3304.41 in 2010.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2010 and 1978,

they would cost you $1000 and $285.75 respectively.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account