cheap Kinetic project, bad idea?

Looking at picking up a ped for my girlie to ride. Found a cheap non running Kinetic project. Has a new piston, cylinder, clutch, coil, and exhaust, but guy can't get it running.

I did a quick search on kinetics, found some old threads where people were asking about their quality. seems like the overall opinion is, "mehh" but I think it'll be crucial for her first goped.

Just wanted to see if any new opinions are out? Going to take my compression gauge and some standard tools to dig in a bit before cutting a deal. Anything else to check?

Here's a photo:

Re: cheap Kinetic project, bad idea?

I have been told they make a great target ! (edited)

Since you mention target, Target stores sold these online a few years back! Its not the highest quality bike, but they are affordable and mostly based on tried and true piaggio designs. Most of the problems I've heard about them have to due with the sub-frame. I bet it'll be fine if you dont abuse it though.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I paid $54 for mine, and it was a very nice project bike at that price.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

I got you beat by nine bucks, Harv. $45. Running.

Paid 125 , but it ran and was minty . Quickly traded it for a Honda . Quality is not too bad , sllightly better then mehhh .

But it ain't no Honda !

Nothing is a Honda is right, I never understood why they have foot pegs and pedals, that is inviting a wreck. The one in the pic looks pretty nice.

i had one. it ruled. i want another. people bitch about the sub frame being crappy on every bike with a sub frame. i wish i still had mine...(stolen) i'll get another one someday and put some ciao parts on it and ripppp.

I got ya BOTH beat. I paid $25 bucks for my '99 TFR, and it ran.

I know people don't like em, but put a little time and such into it and it's a pretty good daily. So long as you aren't trying to go 60 on it...the subframe is pretty shitty and'll bend on ya. I can bend it with my bare hands with ease. The frame itself seems solid, and the electrics are pretty ace...i've since stopped using the actual bike, but the CDI and crap are staying on my bike as long as they live, lol. LED's work great with it, also.

Sounds great! I'm going to pick it up saturday if it checks out

Check the taillight bulb, I think they may be wired the same as the Vespa's where if the bulb is out it wont spark.

it isn't the bulb, that only applys to vespa ive messed around with a few and was my first moped. worked on it for a month every day after work with my neighbor (were both mechanics) and never got it running.... until my dog peed on it and i washed it and decided i would try and start it. What do you know it ran on water? some how the stater got wet and ever time it would run till it evaporated so i put wd40 in the hole where the wires lead to the stater and it ran perfect after that.

had one for a first ped. did 45ish on it, mild kit, pipe 13.13 carb. sub frame did brake. comfortable ride, ugly as sin reminds me of an easy lay. clean the carb well

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

The sub-frame is junk and should be reinforced before riding by anyone over 150 pounds, especially if riding on crappy streets.

The rest of the bike is reasonably reliable.

i concur mine lasted about a summer of riding

just throw some tools and a spare subframe in your pack and you are set to cruise!

if i get another one i'm gonna re-enforce it before the kit goes on. i rode mine pretty hard for like 6 months and im like 220. it seemed fine. but that was at 34 or less.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

With A Bravo subframe, they should be indestructible.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,2108107,2108107#msg-2108107

no cheap project bike is a bad idea

i had a kinetic magnum a few years ago i got it for free from a guy that couldnt figure out how to get it started so he gave it to me saying it will never run

i just threw it in the truck when i got it homw i noticed he had it on pedal mode i flipped the switch and it started rught up it was a pretty good bike variated had a funny looking expansion pipe a huge long seat and went like 35 very reliable i rode it for like a month then some dude offered me $400 for it sold it right there and walked home

harvey them bravo subframes are not really much better than the kinetic ones they are all crappy thin stamped sheet metal but they seem to hold up to normal riding unlike what i do

i made a new subframe for my grande outta 1/8'' plate steel cause i kept breaking the stock ones

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

^^^take a hack saw to a Kinetic subframe some time. It's like a knife through butter. Then try to hack saw a Bravo subframe, you'll tire out before getting very far. It's like the Kinetic is made from a little thicker aluminum foil.

Bravo=way stronger.

neither one is strong one may be thicker than the other but they are both crap

you can say what you want but i have owned plenty of vespas i know they break easy

240 at 45 it doesnt last that long, subframe made it around4 months

Talked him down to $80. Not sure what year it is, but it has ~960miles on the clock. He's been working on it for a while, and was using treats to source the parts. He said it was running, but wouldn't idle. Was chasing air leaks and he silicon on some parts.. He put a new 65cc kit, carb, clutch, electronics, exhaust, plug and wire. quite a bit of new work so i was ok with 80. He was chasing air leaks before he gave up.

Pulled the covers off and hooked up an auxiliary tank. Tried to kick it over but wasn't getting any go. It has spark and fuel. He didn't know what kind of carb he put on it, i'm guessing the jetting is way off and timing could use some attention. (edited)

go score

Got a second to look at it. Looking over the wiring stumbled onto this unit not attached to anything. Looking at the only wiring diagram i can find. the yellow/black wires connect the headlight low/high to a combination switch. I'm terrible with electronics, I'm guessing this should be grounded to the frame/engine?

Next step is to figure out what all parts are installed to have a solid point to start trouble shooting. I have narrowed a few things down, but am still unsure on a couple.

Things I know;

-Carb is definitely a dellorto. thinking its a 13 sha

-has this coil, but is installed with zip ties.. photo

-the exhaust is similar to the polini country pipe(its in the first photo, in the background on left)

-filter is not stock. looks similar to this one, but has black filter element

Still unsure about;

-Brand of kit, also I've realized i have no clue what 10/12 pin means haha..

-Proper coil mounting and location

10 pin or 12 pin refers to the diameter of the "crank hole" the pin that holds the piston onto the crank goes there. It really isn't anything you need to worry about, nor the brand of anything at this point, unless you are deciding to part it out. Why are you so worried about the wiring if it has spark? Attach that shit where ever you want, it doesn't matter, as long as there's spark its a non-issue.

If its an air leak you are going to need to rebuild the bottom end and put in new top end gaskets, get a Vespa rebuild kit from treats, 1977 mopeds, or zippy mopeds. I believe there's a tutorial in the wiki. The engine uses paper gaskets so take all that silicone shit off. Who knows, the dumb fuck before you might not have ever done this when he put the kit on, so you should do it anyway for a non-runner. While your at it take off the carb and find out what jet is in there he probably just left the one it came with in there.

Sounds good, preciate the schooling on pin #'s

I'm more worried about the timing of the spark. I can only assume that shitty grounds/mounting of electrical components will cause shitty performance. I have a cheapo timing light on the way to double check how its running.

Also the part that is not mounted to anything can't be correct(i'll get a better photo later);

He was suspecting air leaks before giving up on it. I'll chase that down once i actually get her running. Will be getting new plug, fresh gas, and give it another try soon

Fresh gas wouldn't hurt but if it has a spark then don't bother with the new plug and like I said you can mount it to anything drill a hole and stick it on the sub frame. Mounting and grounding are not the same thing, if it wasn't grounded correctly then there wouldn't be a spark. that looks like the CDI unit and as far as i know this is how it should be hooked up LINK as long as no actual wires are disconnected from anything you are fine.

I had some old gas once and ran it in both my moby 50v and my kinetic and the moby eventually didn't run, but the kinetic didn't seem to have a problem with it, but each moped is its own animal I suppose.

After reading what your posts again, do you think the guy used the right gaskets on the cyl and head? Wouldn't hurt to take off the cyl and head to check it out, you can also clean any carbon build up that's on the piston or in the exhaust port while you're at it (edited)

i'm pretty sure that what you have there is either the regulator or the cdi box.

white/red wire coming from coils to box = cdi unit.

2 yellows and a black wire connecting to lights and junk from the box = voltage regulator

Both of which i just drilled holes anywhere they'd fit in the sub frame and slapped em on there, no problem.I think the only grounding that occurs is that one black wire you bolt to the subframe (mines has always been mounted near the coil,) and my wiring diagram shows that all the grounds on the bike are wired to that.

And for the record, the lights and ignition are totally separate on Kinetics. you can take all the lights off completely and the bike'll still run, you just need the wires on the right side of the bike for spark.

Good info, preciate it!

Yer right, it has spark so i'll move onto the next. Pretty sure that's my volt reg, but either way its getting bolted to subframe so no worries

Next i'll be pulling the carb, clean, and rejet if needed. Pulling the head off will be later, but will definitely be happening. Once my timing light gets in i'll pull it apart a bit more and make sure there's nothing wonky going on.

PO had taken the aftermarket exhaust off, but i'm debating on putting it back on for a try. just for shits and giggles. He said he burnt the carbon out of the stocker, but i feel like there's still some blocking it up

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account