what can the e50 handle..?

just got a 78 puch maxi with a 2hp e50, my first ped, and experience with an engine this small.. it had new gaskets and carbs, most everything appears to be to really solid.

mostly doing city driving, but curious what length of time running the engine may be too much, both with "stop and start" city type driving??, and with full throttle.???

Re: what can the e50 handle..?

stock, youre gooooooood.

campeona del mundo /

well, i just rode 100+ miles from bellingham to seattle wa at wot for 95% of the time.

e50s are indestructible

It's not going to wear out as a whole. Over time bits and pieces need replacing, but unless something unforeseen happens, you could have the same theoretical engine for a lifetime.

yeah, not many moving parts.

bearings/seals, could go over time.. like alot of miles, we took these motors cross country.

if you put more power/heat to it, brass bushing'ed con rod will smear/melt/sieze, and the clutches bend out/burn, but we have aftermarket solutions.

Two Moped Army members did 13,000 miles from San Fransisco to Argentina on Puch e50's. Keep it tuned up (plugs, points, condenser, de-carbonization, etc) and it'll do fine for commuting.

Patrick Keaton /

When going down hill, do not let off the throttle. The engine gets the lubrication from the gas and oil mixture, so keep that in mind.

^ I always hear this but I don't believe it.

very good to know, thanks dr_moped,

also wondering about riding in the rain, (not intentionally) but if you get caught out? or riding on wet roads? is it really bad to do on the peds/engines? things to look out for? (besides the obvious of road being slicker)

Patrick Keaton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When going down hill, do not let off the throttle.

> The engine gets the lubrication from the gas and

> oil mixture, so keep that in mind.

You don't hold the throttle wide open, you blip it on and off down a big hill. But we're talking stock mopeds, so don't even worry about that. And ride in the rail all you want, just be sure to have your flywheel cover on, and maybe a rain cover for your air filter if it's really pouring.

^ what nick swoop said.

doesn't it get lubricated downhill without having to blip the throttle? I mean oil/gas is still going into the engine....just not as much...right..?

If you let off the throttle going down hill the engine is only running on the idle circuit of the carb. On a high performance motor you can easily seize it. With a stock motor there is no need to worry about it. Just remember it was designed to use as transportation as long as you do regular maintenance you should have no problems. If you decide to make it fast then worry about all the bullshit that comes with the mods.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account