intake fab questions

So I got some questions on fabbing up intakes. I'm gonna need to get some flanges, so hopefully someone can chime in on a source for those.

Would a pipe bender or a chop saw be a better choice of tools to get? Or should I just get both? What kind of pipe do you guys use?

I'm mainly looking at making just puch piston port intakes, but eventually I'll probably make some Athena ajh intakes too. I got a flux core wire feed welder from harbor freight that should be able to handle welding up an intake.

Re: intake fab questions

are you doing aluminum?

fabbing the flanges shouldn't be hard, just get some flatbar (3/16?) and drill the holes you need, then round off the corners on a sander.

also, I think you want tubing, not pipe.

It will be steel. No tig skills. Or tig welder.

Rollo Tomassi /

For stockish size intakes, bicycle handle bars have a good diameter, with an assortment of curves, and most folks have they laying around. I commits you to steel flanges, but that just makes welding easier. 3/16" or so plate is good for flanges.

No to the chop saw. 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with cutting disk. Way cheaper and useful.

If your bending steel yourself you need to fill with sand or water so you don't kink the pipe.And then seal off both ends. If your looking for pre bent lowes and home depot sells them in the electrical section.

Rich Levangie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If your bending steel yourself you need to fill

> with sand or water so you don't kink the pipe.And

> then seal off both ends. If your looking for pre

> bent lowes and home depot sells them in the

> electrical section.

Have you ever bent fucking tube in your life? I'm guessing no. Please stop posting about shit that you've only read online.

use the stock header pipe from a Puch

thats a good start

I got one of those already to use but I want the carb to go off to the side or back, depending on the bike, instead of the front.

Asshole I mean Jake, apparently you've never done it either. I did it on my own bike. You buy threaded pipe and pack with sand and screw the end cap on and then use the acetylene torch and heat it up. Then you use a larger pipe and place over the other to act as leverage to bend the other pipe. Tool bag you have another way of doing it?

Salsa Salsa /

^^^^ if you have a crush bender you can bend the pipes by putting sand in them and so it slow and moving the pipe often. but it still sucks.

you want mandrel bends. a mandrel bending machine is so expansive, your better off buying pre bends. i like chassisshop.com

I usally buy a j or u bend and than cut off a section i need.

make something like this

Shitty way to bend pipe. I've heard about the sand, but water? Really?

As for me, I use my hydraulic bender when I bend tube.

+1 on the handlebars. Welded a section to a 1/4" thick base and put my carb just where I wanted it.

Before the flaming begins, I know...the welds suck. It was my first try at something like this and it works quite well.

newintakepuch2.jpg

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Shopping carts, wheelchairs, hydraulic lines, etc have nice bends LOOK around.

Your right water I've never done myself that I can't verify. But I've been told you can fill with soapy water and put in freezer to freeze then muscle the pipe with no heat and the ice keeps the shape of the pipe. As far as sand and a torch it works better than nothing.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account