Check your drive sprocket nuts!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I thought my Ratty Cimatti had a catastrophic tranny failure this weekend during the MopedLar Ride. Upon closer inspection yesterday, I found that the only thing wrong was the nut holding the drive sprocket was gone and the sprocket was just spinning on the shaft.

This is at least the third time this has happened to one of my Minarelli powered peds. Do yourself a favor and check that nut. A little loctite wouldn't hurt either.

Long live the Ratty Cimatti! (edited)

ratti cimatti.jpg

Re: Check your drive sprocket nuts!

I always have someone sit on the bike then use a 17mm open end wrench.. never will move again.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

If you don't have anyone to sit on the bike while you tighten the nut, Franco Morini had a sprocket holding tool just for that purpose. I'm lucky enough to have one.

good call on the special tool. I think a socket werks to in a pinch and some loctite is .. always always.. a good idea!

Same thing hapened to me at our first rally. so mad, rode in the breakdown truck all day

I had this happen about two weeks ago. Thank goodness it was test ride in the neighborhood after doing some recent work. Yes, loctite!

happened to both the concord xkes' i had.

THanks! About to take my Minarelli on it's first long ride. I will check that out.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I've never experienced this problem on any ped other than a Minarelli powered one.

I had it happen on a garelli. Odd cause it spins clockwise. Luckily i didnt lose the sprocket but it broke the chain. Not a fun push home, you cant even pedal. Locktite and a breaker bar to tighten from now on

that happened to my minarelli all the time till i was tightening it and the threads broke off the shaft

i welded it and it it never happened again

Jay's leg welded it from 5 feet away. He's V1 magic.

I just love gettting engines that someone f-ing welded the sprocket..

rebuild the dam engine with a new one.

If you install or tighten it correctly.. the first time, sh-it like this doesn't happen.

Use loctite people.. (edited)

Yeti the Figg /

This has happened to me twice this month and is beyond frustrating. I'm gonna use loctite this time once the new nut arrives. The threads are on their way to stripped so I'm not sure how well the loctite will help.

Wow another one! I'm glad to have read this. Just started riding my first V1 hard and often to shake stuff down. Gonna loctite that nut today.

Mo Peds Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I just love gettting engines that someone f-ing

> welded the sprocket..

> rebuild the dam engine with a new one.

>

> If you install or tighten it correctly.. the first

> time, sh-it like this doesn't happen.

> Use loctite people..

good il make sure to weld on every sprocket just for you

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account