Tomos Moped USB seat mod

Re: Tomos Moped USB seat mod

Where did you connect the USB to to get power?

Straight from the battery/charging circuit?

I like it man! Moped mods are way rad.

The battery sits under the seat, right behind the USB. 12 volt 5 ah Gel Cel for the electric start. I need to add a proper on-off switch. I have a rather novel bodge in place to switch it on and off right now.

I wasn't sure there would be enough depth (because of the battery sitting so close to the back of the seat) to mount what started out as a cigarette lighter adapter to USB car accessory. Cost 10€. I had to get a bit creative in mounting because of the cramped space. Scavenged a rubber bushing from a brass hose fitting that has an inside diameter matching the outside diameter of the adapter (20 mm). It acts as a spacer to flush up the front end of the USB adapter on the outside of the seat, the ass end of which is sitting flush up against the battery. There's a zip tie tightened around the adapter on the inside to keep it from coming out. I am now on the lookout for a random plastic cap off a commercial product which fits snugly enough around that rubber spacer that friction will keep it in place. That will be my rain guard. I can rattle paint whatever lid I find if it isn't black (to match seat) already.

Enjoy.

Tim Fuller Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The battery sits under the seat, right behind the

> USB. 12 volt 5 ah Gel Cel for the electric start.

electric start. not a real moped

chance lampeau Wrote:

>

> electric start. not a real moped

Jealous much? :-P

:)

DAM JakeM Wrote:

> http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/jakeanddo

> na/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5469.jpg

Is there a backstory to this? If I had something like that, I would feel temped to strap a table lamp onto the rack behind my seat, (like the one the guy had in A Christmas Story).

also (electric start. not a real moped):

No pedals either, because the Europeans are big on SCIENCE and realize that just forcing pedals onto a 50cc motor for the sake of it only adds unnecessary complexity and weight to the vehicle. I do have the option to kick start, and I use it quite a bit. My electric starter has a flat spot on the commuter brushes (sounds plausible) and is kinda glitchy. Plus, it starts on just an easy bump off the kick starter, while the electric starter seems to take it's sweet ass time. I wonder if the electric starter isn't spinning fast enough? Sounds like it is. I will ignore it until it goes out completely.

Enjoy.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account