Accident details...

I have had exactly ***one*** accident (touch wood), and I should probably tell the story...

I was riding along years ago when I slowed and rounded a sharp curve at about 20 mph way out in the country. The sun was more and more in my eyes as I took the bend and finally I could not see the road at all. A small dead branch from an overhanging tree had fallen and was apparently lying diagonally across the road as I rounded the end of the turn.

My front wheel rolled over the branch, but the branch itself must have rolled under my wheel at the same time... The bike and I went down on our left sides. My very first thought was that I did not want to be run over by a following car, so I jumped up and ran off the road. There was no car coming, so I picked up my ride.

I easily rode home since the injuries to myself and my machine were not very great. I was not wearing a helmet, and my head was not hurt at all, but more about that below. The worst pain was in my neck (on my right side) which just got worse and worse over the next days.

I went to my GP the next day. He gave me some pain pills and told me keep some frozen peas packed on my neck. I had no idea that he was only addressing my main symptom and not the actual problem.

My neck pain became acute and intolerable. Eventually I could barely breathe, sleep, sit, stand or cough. A few days later I finally went to a chiropractor out of desperation. This guy finally adressed the real problem and "fixed" me by some kind of manual readjustment. In short, I ***crawled*** into his office -- but I was able to ***walk*** out of it. I thought I was "cured".

Unfortunately, I had already contracted pneumonia since I had been unable to cough -- and I developed fever and chills. The same GP admitted me to the hospital, but he also went on vacation later the same day and his instructions to his relief somehow got garbled.

I sat in the hospital for almost three days until the staff figured out that no doctor was attending me. My fever finally rose to a near-fatal 107 deg F. When I finally got some attention, a Dr. Templeton tried every antibotic at his disposal to reduce my fever. According to him, the last one available finally did the trick. (Funny, he smoked cigarettes almost constantly, and he was an EXCELLLENT DOCTOR -- I still smile inside when I think of him). Meanwhile, I had to have a rib severed and a tube installed in my right lung cavity to drain off all the gallons of gross puss and liquid.

I was most of a year getting back on my feet, so to speak. The bike was easily repaired. I wonder if a helmet could have helped to prevent the pinched nerve in my neck????? I also wonder if a full face shaded visor might have helped me to see the danger ahead??? Please advise your thoughts either way.

Erstwhile moral: ADDRESS THE PROBLEM, NOT THE SYMPTOM.

Re: Accident details...

Zachary Michael /

That's what you get for getting the sun in your eyes! Pneumonia! Perfectly foreseeable! Always ride with the sun to your back!

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Ride the tri-ped.

One thing that probably saves me a lot of pain is the limit of 25km/h. The other thing is that even though there are plenty of bike lanes, there is plenty of traffic (foot, bike, old people in electric chairs, women pushing big baby carriages, etc) in most of the urban areas. Since I don't want to take out a carriage of babies, or some six year old gunning home from school on his 14 inch bike, I am extremely cautious.

Closest I have come to disaster was on a wet road when I applied too much front brake (which is easy to do since my back brake sucks major donkey dick). Because of my slow speed and lack of momentum, I was able to catch the bike and myself, but it was a definite eye opener.

Unlike most of the world, I don't really have to be anywhere at any given time, so if it takes me twice as long to get somewhere, that is fine by me. I am not 15 years old and trying to figure out how "thrilling" I can make my moped rides. If I wanted a two wheel thrill ride I could have bought a small motorcycle for less money than I spent on my moped. Hell, I could have bought a NEW scooter here for what I paid for my used Tomos, but it would have the same speed limits and I prefer the moped over scooter form factor. Enjoy.

Wheelie thru blind corners....

♣Slew Foot♣ /

about five times a year, usually.

i only have peds and its all weather riding.

only hurt once in ten years. broken clavicle on a turn where there was gravel silt invisable until you brake. then bam, so fast there is no time to compensate or even go limp.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

well make that two but the second was my error i had a duffle strap get caught in my rear sprocket and like a come along it almost killed me doing 30 mph. i saw it start to wind, i quickly ducked and got the strap on the handlebar it instantly took the bike down. collapsed chestwall

Rollo Tomassi /

Glad to hear you did recover. It's an interesting story, and just reminds me of too many hospital stories I have been hearing. I hate the idea of being treated by " a team of medical professionals" I want 1 good person to step in and take personal responsibility for my well being.

Overpriced Parts /

25 km?

That's jogging speed

Back to your original question, Hutch; a helmet probably wouldn't have any effect on your situation. I don't know of any standard helmet that protects the neck area--- That said, I won't ride without one. I've been down on my bike twice, and both times my skid lid saved me from serious injury. Glad you're recovered now.

Kudos, Tim, this is really quoteworthy -- "Unlike most of the world, I don't really have to be anywhere at any given time" -- very mopeducational.

Cool story bro

Harvey is right..Trike saved my right leg from catastrophic collision.

Picture this: Bright sunny day, straight road, double yellow line, minding my own business on the blue Pryer doing 30 with my freind Ray 400 feet up ahead of me.

Car coming in other direction has mysterious bout of octogenarian blindness and bangs a left right in my face with no time to do anything except crank the bars left to soften the collision by turning a head on into a strong sideswipe and flip-over.

Cops wrote her up for multiple violations, ambulance drags me off to the trauma center with 2 broken ribs and assorted smaller injuries.

Lawyer having a field day because she has absolutely no defense, and her insurance company has already accepted responsibility and paid me for the totaled Pryer (which I restored anyway). Becaue of the severity and extreme painful nature of my injuries and the skill of the top notch attorney I hired, he told me to expect 6 figure settlement without trial.

Harve,

I bought my first Tri-Ped almost sight unseen -- or well, I should say that the pix of it were taken so close up and at such tight angles that I thought it was some kind of Phillipine/Jamaican rickshaw or jitney. Whatever it really was, the low low price was too attractive to pass up -- even adding in freight from Texas.

Looking back, however, three wheels were a real attraction due to my previous accident. I thought to myself: 3 wheels means I should not have to balance.

BUT, the very first time I rode her around in my front yard, I laid her down because I was lazy and not paying attention. Luckily no damage.

Now, with several hundred Sport and Standard Tri-Ped miles under my belt, I frequently use the full width of the bench seat on either model to maintain balance. The earlier and so-called Standard models had two seat belts but these were also originally limited to max speeds of abt 20 mph and some had wierd left-offset handlebars. Balance was not too much of an issue due to the low speed. Nevertheless, a rear brake on only the left-hand side meant that some turns were more controlable than others. Standard model suspension was mushier than the Sport models and this adds some additional handling problems.

The later Tomos-powered jobs (the higher speed and so-called Sport models) had no seat belts -- so the rider could shift his weight all over the bench seat for control and balance. These also had centered handlebars so the ususal single rider could flog the beast around most turns at speed by shifting around on the bench seat.

No matter what, I do still feel safer with three wheels under me.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account