Helmet thoughts

Take Me Home Kev /

So I was just at picking up some 2 stroke from the store, and the guy was giving me shit for rocking an 80's bell sport helmet. What are your thoughts? The helmet has been sitting in it's original box never opened untill about 2 days ago. Do we think this is really a problem when none of my mopeds do over 35? And when I ride my big boy bike I wear a new helmet.

Re: Helmet thoughts

sir thaddeusforemen /

a helmet is a helmet. Saves lives. don't know why anyone would give a shit.

Fuck em. don't even worry about that dude. for reaallzzz

Agreed, I don't have one and know better. As long as it is a full face rock it.

Take Me Home Kev /

Yeah I kinda figured it was his dick head way of trying to get me to buy a new helmet. Bad sales men if you ask me. haha Now I'm going somewhere else to get my 2 smoke.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Someone posted a link to a helmet seller that sells vintage helmets from the 70s and 80s. I wish I could remember the name. They had some helmets I haven't seen in a coon's age.

I'll search, I'm shopping for a sexy lid for my babe.

Take Me Home Kev /

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

I'd imagine that an old helmet in good shape is much better than having no helmet at all, but still, things can deteriorate over time without being used. I wouldn't trust my head to an older helmet, but each to their own. I'm still glad to hear you're wearing a helmet, even if it is an older one.

PS - It doesn't matter how fast your moped can or cannot go. It matters how fast the person who hits you is going.

i just stay off busy streets. side streets only plus a helmet old or new.

MaddMatt -Ruffians STL /

With my new full face helmet at 35 mph my eye socket and jaw were still broken and required 3 metal plates to fix.

Brad William /

I so fucking sick of this. The "wear a helmet" dogma from the "I eat what I want and fuck you for telling me otherwise".

Where does this stuff come from?

I live in Michigan and all I've heard from riders in the last ten years is "you're an idiot if you don't wear a helmet". Now our governor has repealed the law, and suddenly 75 percent of the riders I see this summer are helmet-less. The very same ass-holes who were wringing their hands and preaching ATGATT when it was "cool" to do so. It never was "cool". It was just the law, and you were simply being sheep. So what do you believe in?

Dishonest. If you have an opinion one way or another be consistent with it. Don't just go with the crowd on this one. (edited)

I hate seeing photos of people with all their teeth busted out, with a fractured jaw and thousands of dollars worth of bills over something so simple but that's just me.

I just sold a moped yesterday to a 15 year old (his dad bought it). The kid was adamant about not wearing a helmet because he didn't want to look like a dweeb, but I told him I wouldn't sell him the bike until he got one. I got an email from his dad this morning telling me his son loves his helmet because it saved his head last night after he tipped his bike! His body's chewed up and he broke his thumb, which is no big deal...at least he still has a skull that is intact!

I'm too pretty to not have a newer dot and snell approved helmet. I suppose if you're ugly you don't need a helmet.

Take Me Home Kev /

I don't know man. I wouldn't ride without one, but I don't need any shit cause my helmet is from the 80's. I don't give people shit for not wearing one. It's your body dude if you wanna get fucked up that's on you. Helmets are sweet anyways. You can put all your awesome stickers on them, and my wine berry Bell is radical!

I come from a time where everyone rode without a Helmit and thankfully have lived to tell the tail of this after all these years ! Do what Linda says you should do and wear a helmet as it's the Right thing too do~Stay safe !

carl jepsen /

old helmets might be ok but the foam typically becomes hard and offers less energy absorption if you go down.

snell helmets are not that great for motorcycle use. they are overly hard to protect from multiple impacts. great in a car with a roll bar, but if you take a spill it will transmit more energy to your head.

Yes Yes. In this school of thought: You'll want the helmet to take the punch (disintegrate) from 1 blow, like an egg carton is a "softish" container. A hard container will translate hit to egg/head and result in (more) brain trauma.

but too soft a foam and it'll bottom out and ALL the force will be transmitted to your head. Snell helmets are meant for higher speed collisions. Ever leave raw foam in the sun? or had a seat with a tear and the foam that the sun did hit was turned into dust. foam will last hundreds of years when not exposed to the sun(styrofoam cup in a landfill) but will quickly degrade if left in sunlight. Old helmets also were made of fiberglass while a lot of new helmets are made of frp(fiber reinforced plastic). idk which is better but nice new helmets are made of fiberglass. lots of people are buying new helmets just to yank the foam out to stick in their older helmets.

I see the value in a helmet. No doubt. I think the risk in the US is exponentially higher than here though. No helmet law in Holland for mopeds limited to 25km-h, but must still have one here in Germany. I don't have the full face model at this point, however I did finally buy an honest-to-god legal helmet late last year. I had been riding around with one of those banana looking bike helmets.

I hate the helmet. I want to ditch it so bad you can't imagine. Right now I am considering DOWNSIZING from 50cc moped to 28cc motorized bicycle just so I can get rid of the helmet altogether, because the law on 28cc allows for no helmet.

My moped is so slow that I have to build up speed just to pass middle aged housewives peddling home from the store with their groceries. I only wish that was an exaggeration.

Enjoy.

If not for my $200 Bell, my life would have ended Nov. 20

You should see the scars on the shell form a head on 30-30 My head was totally unscathed other then pre-existing insanity

Yes you only go 30 somehting, but there is that possibility of a 3000 lb projectile in the other direction making a combined speed of 60

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

I trust my riding enough to not wear a helmet, but I don't trust your driving enough to not wear a helmet.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account