New here, General 5 Star

Shane Kenyon /

Hi there,

Just got into mopeds, long story short I found Steve H through craigslist who happened to be about five minutes down the road, talked for a while and came home with a General 5 Star.

I'm going to be a junior in college, and we just rented a house farther off campus. There are a few backroads to school so I figured a moped could get me from point A to B easily.

Not sure what I want to do yet, still trying to figure out what I need, and what needs to be replaced.

Here it is as picked up.

Within a half hour

Re: New here, General 5 Star

I see real potential there. Bronze wool will be your friend for the chrome clean up-- good luck mang !

looks like there's alot missing on that bike. For one you don't have the gas tank or throttle. Looks like alot of cables are missing for the headlights, etc.

Does the engine even run? But I'm mostly wondering what you paid for that and whether or not you got gipped.

Overall it looks like alot of cleaning and work to do on that bike

Ohhh you're the guy who bought it off steve. Yeah it has alot of potential and being a newbie myself that bike seems like alot of work. Having experience with engines and stuff would be of alot of use. Hopefully you got em. Make sure to clean out that gas tank, from what I remember steve said it needed it.

Patrick Keaton /

Do not use the wool he tells you to use. I use chrome cleaner and my finger nails, since any kind of dry wool will scratch. I have a General 5 Star limited edition that needs the gas tank, and the seat . I think the rims are rused away on it. I have so many mopeds with rims that are rusted beyond use, it is hard to keep track.

Good choice for a project bike. The tanks can be expensive, but pretty much any tank could be made to fit.

did you take the headtube bearing cups out?

None of my mag wheels have any rust. Tey also make any bike look 10 times better. I love the way these bikes ride and all the noobs think top tanks are so damn cool. Motorcycle dudes love them too. Italian bikes are the shit!

Shane Kenyon /

Yes I bought it off Steve with the tank. Really no trouble with any missing parts or work to be done. I want it to be a project. Piston is seized up pretty good so I have that soaking right now. Going to need controls and to re do some of the wiring but it should be fun when it is done.

I have a spare gallon of paint left over from restoring an older BMW car so it will most likely be paint matched to the car.

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

Judging by the tool chest in the background, I would say he can figure it out.

Minarelli v1 is supposed to be a good engine. Use "Acid Magic" to clean out the tank. Have fun with it. The Wiki will be your friend.

Shane Kenyon /

Yep, that tool chest is the culmination of my own and my dad's tools. It's so nice for once having everything organized and having the right tools makes everything ten times easier.

Noted on the tank, thanks. Also looking for a different gas cap, something simple and low profile. I've seen Harley's that have a pop up setup?

Lots of reading ahead.

Darrell Gabbard /

yeah i would replce the cap too. just find a great local welder and put a new bung in the tank. when the piston is unstuck i would go with the polini kit for the V1 and see if Ed has any more full circle cranks left for sale.

Shane Kenyon /

I think the motor is seized up for good. I still have in soaking but even with the wood and hammer method it just slowly makes it way up or down. Not symptoms of some lightly stuck rings otherwise it'd be free by now. I also don't want to go smashing on the motor (obviously). Would it be best to find a new v1 or just try and get a top end?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Ya know, the whole "Safety in Motorsport" began when Jackie Stewart's teammate Francois Cevert was killed in the esses at Watkins Glen.

Darrell Gabbard /

I would get a polini top end and go from there

kit that shit, it's what minerelli motors are good for

Michael Thomas /

This is not your typical, Hi I am 15 and just got my first moped...how do I take off the gas cap?

Shane Kenyon /

Yes I hear you, the esses are interesting. I usually run out of gearing on that track when I'm in the BMW, next time I go will be the third time I've been there so I'll be trying out a different diff.

In that video we were datalogging boost pressure, because I'm trying to setup different boost levels for each gear so it increases, rather than be at a constant level so that way the lower gears aren't all wheelspin. I filmed it because we are rebuilding the motor this summer for about 500whp and just wanted to see the difference.

Shane Kenyon /

Thank you, I haven't dealt with mopeds specifically hence I've been doing a lot of reading and searching but have been around engines all my life.

I'll keep you guys updated, I just redid all the wiring and am getting that tidied up to test it out as a lot of wires were not there or had seen better days.

Patrick Keaton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do not use the wool he tells you to use. I use

> chrome cleaner and my finger nails, since any kind

> of dry wool will scratch. I have a General 5 Star

> limited edition that needs the gas tank, and the

> seat . I think the rims are rused away on it. I

> have so many mopeds with rims that are rusted

> beyond use, it is hard to keep track.

I have a Limited too. Did you bypass your oil pump? OR you still running it?

Patrick Keaton /

Mine has a V1. I do not think there is any oil pump on it. If there was an oil pump on the V1, where was it located ? I call it a Limited Edition because that is what is printed on one of the side covers. Soak your top end in PB Blaster for 3 weeks. It might still be hard to get apart after 3 weeks, but you will know you had let it soak long enough.

Mine has a V1 too. It says Automix on the case and there is a pump on the right side for oil.

I just sold a Lazer sport 50 tank and seat (same tank as general just different branding) locally for 90.00 cash. (edited)

Shane Kenyon /

So the gas cap on the tank was broken, and I wanted a bit different style anyway. So from a spare valve cover I had laying around from a Bmw, I cut this,

And it will look something like this

Shane Kenyon /

Update: Piston was shot. Ordered a 43mm kit. Installed. Running (after a ton of wiring and spark issues). Lights work, cables are getting hooked up, waiting on a few misc. parts.

Anyone have a picture / reference to the tank mount? The front slides over the rubber bushings but in the back of the tank, and on the frame (the little bracket) is there supposed to be some sort of bushing there as well? Nothing really holds the tank down.

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

No.....just gotta slide seat up forward as tight as you can then bolt it down.....unless I am missing something. Always thought it was a little suspect too

Shane Kenyon /

Huh, yeah I would think a metal to metal tank would not be the intended way. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a part. I'll post some progress pictures later.

Shane Kenyon /

So here are some pics. I found a member on here, bike was called blood lust I believe, I went along with that for ideas just different colors.

Somewhat assembled except for some paint + new rear tire.

One of my cars run's Weber carbs, happen to have an extra airhorn laying around.

Moving along nicely... keep the updates coming!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account