Commuting with a stock moped

Jeff Woodin /

I was just wondering how many people here are practically oriented when it comes to their peds. My primary use for my ped is to commute into the city for about 30 miles round trip per day. If it's a really crappy day, I'll just take the car, but I prefer not to.

My Maxi is in good running shape now, but I'm wondering how reliable it will be for this purpose. Is it reasonable to assume that I'll get through the summer and fall without any major work needing to be done? How often do carbs usually need to be cleaned? Is 150 miles a week a lot to be riding a ped or is that not unusual?

Re: Commuting with a stock moped

I do about 16 miles round trip every day, and mostly on a stock (all be it, modified) moped.

Things break, and shit happens. You'll be best off if you carry at least a basic tool assortment: 10mm socket, flat-head screwdriver, plug wrench, and a spare plug.

get a proma circuit and call it good (after rejetting). its louder but you will feel a significant power increase. it was the only thing done to my free spirit, but then my friend ported it, so it rips now

John Warren IhazJawas /

yeah i do about 16 miles round trip myself rode all thru the winter. I had some issue with clogged exhaust but i am learning and if it was a crappy day i still rode, i fucking hate public transportation. also have some wear on my tires but they were old when i bought it

Salsa Salsa /

I only ride for fun. If I need to be somewere like work I drive. I also wear a suit at work thou. . .

Put an inline fuel filter on there to prevent carb clogging. Make sure the tank is clean too. I usually replace the wire/coil on mopeds when I get them, too, just as a precaution. Drain and fill the trans with new fluid. Run a decent oil in your premix.

I commute on a dead-stock Murray, but I live in town so it's only 1.5 miles each way. I still carry a handful of basic tools, just in case.

Murphys law for bikes: Carry tools and you never break down - leave them at home just one day and guess what...

Actually you will find that regular use of the ped will make it more and more happier as the week progresses. Aside for the percentage of bad car drivers you have to share the road with the trip will also be more enjoyable then in a car.

Jeff Woodin /

Oh yeah - it's so much more enjoyable than a car, been so happy to have it for these few weeks so far

Jeff Woodin /

Yeah its a fuel filter on there now - tank is reasonably clean - how often should the filter be changed? I guess it looks a little dark

Also, how do i know what size it is (6 vs 8mm or whatever) - is that the outside diameter of the fuel line? I have calipers.

I would like to commute but it's a 22 mile ride there so 44miles round trip...

I think once I get my Hobbit going I might use that...

I commute about 5 miles each way to work if the weather is nice. About the furthest I've gone is 20 or 30 miles for one trip.

Andrew Squiggman /

60 miles rd trip. fun commute, unledd it rains. then not so fun

30 mi round trip. Cruising at 30 mph.

Isn't bad but here in Vegas we get crazy 40 mph wind all the time and that ruins it

14 mi roundtrip for me, either bike or ped, there's a few different ones I ride, but most rarely my fast bike. do most commuting on my honda cub, fuckin 150mpg at 45mph is tough to beat.

if my commute were 30mi round trip i would try to live closer to work...

I rely on my za50 maxi to get to school every day. I always carry oil and but no tools. It's never let me down. I average probably 700-800 miles every month. I never clean my carb cause my tank is rust free, but if yours is not, clean out your tank and run a good fuel filter. Keep up with maintenance and your bike should be reliable. Don't allow any jank. My bike is mildly ported stock with a pipe, btw.

Emil Kniemel /

the commute on a bicycle is ~2 miles. on the moped i stay off the main road as much as possible even though there is a bike lane. speed limit here is 55mph on the main road.

so the commute on the moped is ~4 miles, but its way funner.

i carry extra spark plugs, toolset that comes with the hobbit (philips, spark wrench, flathead) and a 10mm/11mm small wrench, oil, and a canteen of premix.

(edited)

photo.PNG

Andy Giese⟴ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 60 miles rd trip. fun commute, unledd it rains.

> then not so fun

this is a lie

I commute everyday to work downtown in a suit on a mildly-kitted Bravo. Six mile roundtrip. It's seriously better than listening to Morning Edition.

Salsa Salsa /

No way. I neeed my morning edition!

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Yes

Every 1800 miles

No, not unusual

Emilio Gonzales /

Would commute 8 miles roundtrip in the downtown LA area. Idk what it is about mopeds that it just makes you want to go to work, going by car just makes you want to lag it.

2 miles each way, way worth it!

Andrew Squiggman /

Jason Thibodeau Wrote:

> Andy Giese⟴ Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > 60 miles rd trip. fun commute, unledd it

> rains.

> > then not so fun

>

>

> this is a lie

youre right, jay, I just measured it. it is like 59.2 miles. what was I thinking?

lol, how dare you round up man?

:P

That's a helluva commute though...

Andy Giese⟴ Wrote:

> Jason Thibodeau Wrote:

> -----

> > Andy Giese⟴ Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > 60 miles rd trip. fun commute, unledd it

> > rains.

> > > then not so fun

> >

> >

> > this is a lie

>

> youre right, jay, I just measured it. it is like

> 59.2 miles. what was I thinking?

>

> http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m502/silversid

> e61/route.jpg

John Warren IhazJawas /

How fast does your ped go? Stock thats like a 2 hour ride

Andrew Squiggman /

John Warren IhazJawas Wrote:

> How fast does your ped go? Stock thats like a 2

> hour ride

like 50 minutes each way. it does mid 40's.

^^^Why that's just a mild Washoe Zhyper where i'm at ~we call that sort of wind a Sun Valley Turbo Boost~ (edited)

i put over 600 miles on my stock pinto no problems, always starts and runs good until i try to change something

Jessie Something /

When we lived up North, I took my moped to work along the back roads every day, about 20 miles/hour and a half round-trip. Saved a ton on gas rather than taking my truck on 65 every day of the week & it was a good way to wind down after a bullshit day at work. (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account