My 50v replacement

I was so sad about my 50v frame that I just had to find another moby. Actually it kind of found itself for $180. Plus I wanted to build the 50v up for my girl, and when I told her I found another moby she told me she didn't want to say anything before but she was bummed as well.

Seems like she will run with new gas (3 year old gas in it right now) and a carb clean. If there is anything else wrong with it I have a 50v minus the frame for parts, most of which will probably end up on this thing (like the variator, pulley, sprocket, etc). Might keep the grande seat on it as well. I mocked it up for the photo. Would look nice if it was a bit lower, which it can be if the seat post is cut a bit.

I am surprised how little RPM it takes for the clutch to engage, seems like she'll be a breeze to start.

(edited)

photo (1).JPG

Re: My 50v replacement

Vova Fett /
ven OP

Also, when trying to push start, the clutch only engages when I pull the decomp. worn out clutch or good compression?

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Worn out belt.

The Grande seat look cush on there :)

Handsome US version of the 50V. Very nice indeed!

† CH∆D † /

Is it south american made? Me thinks so. Nice!

Vova Fett /
ven OP

yup! definitely the belt! I took a closer look at it after posting and it does look really worn out. Also, it is put on inside out haha. The guy said that he and his buddy used to ride it around their town drunk, so that could explain the inside out belt lol. The bike is in pretty good condition overall though, he said it was in worse condition when he got it 5 years ago and it's been sitting in a shed for 3.

I really do like how the grande seat looks on there! I stressed so much over finding a good seat for the moby, and never even thought of trying out a grande one.

Reb, how've you been? Haven't talked to you in a while!

I will check if it is south american. A part of me wants to say Taiwan...

wait a minute... that is not a 50V that is a Motobecane Romp from Taiwan... show them side covers and check the front tag on the steering neck it should be a Paijifa Industrial assembly tag...

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

how could you tell Rebel ?

Looking at the huge tail light and Ven mentioned Taiwan so it clicked that there was one in Palmerston so that must be the one. Stock they have this big puffy weird cushion seat and a huge tail light as well as the round headlight like the US versions got.

Vova Fett /
ven OP

Reb is right on target, even where I got it from! It's an '81 Romp. I was waiting for someone to say hey now wait a minute...:P

It did come with a big puffy weird cushion seat which immediately got taken off and put into the spare parts bin :P

I do wish it was a 50V frame, but I've only noticed a few really small differences between the two. I don't care much for the rest of the parts because this bike will be getting all the parts that were going to be put onto the 50v.

I'll post a pic of the speedo, it is MINT.

Fresh bike dude, what worries me though is why your girl didn't want to bring it up

Vova Fett /
ven OP

thanks!

because I was furious about losing my frame and wheels and she didn't want to fuel the flame? :P

Vova Fett /
ven OP

She runs!

I took apart the carb, scrubbed it down, had a bunch of gunk in it. What I believe to be the main jet on the gurtner was covered in this slimy gunk that was also clogging it. Oh and this is what the gas looked like straight out of the tank, I feel terrible for even trying to start the poor thing with that in it. Also...accidentally spilt some onto the driveway, so if the world does indeed come to an end in December, we know why!

I was having some tuning issues, can't seem to get it to idle, and runs fine but 4-strokes and bogs down at WOT, well more like makes a machine gun sound and slows down. I love the sound of it though, and I must say, for a non variated bike this big, it has really good pick up and feels pretty quick. Can't wait to variate it :)

I think I am going to keep the original paint as well

Vova Fett /
ven OP

What's a good way to check if the tank has rust on the inside. If the filter is clogged lol? But there could be finer rust particles I suppose...

I usually get in there with a flash light, you can take a coat hanger and open it up then stick it way down in there and run it along the tank walls. If you feel a super crusty surface it's probably pretty toasty and needs some attention. I've been lazy though on some mobys and just run a tank or two through with filters, it eventually clears up but loves to jam up the old petcock. Gotta blow it out with compressed air etc.

As far as 4 stroking check the float and make sure there's nothing jamming that little needle / float. It likes to hang up at the slightest sign of dirt and get freaky causing some heartaches.

Sounds like you're well on the way to having a happy stock bike!! I have a beautiful black 50v with baskets that's a stock 30mph model and it is a total blast to ride around, absolutely love it, one of my all time favorites.

Vova Fett /
ven OP

Thanks man! I'll check the float again. I'll put a bigger carb on it anyways. I have a 50cc biturbo kit I want to put to use as well.

I failed to post a pic of the gas aha. I'll post it tomorrow.

Reb knows all, taillight is a good clue, I thought it was maybe a replacement, and the black traveler fender was another clue. Keep the sidecovers!

Vova Fett /
ven OP

I only have one cover for it :( I will e-mail the guy and see if he can dig it up. If not, I think I have my 50v covers :)

Pic of the gas...

Reb is god! :) (edited)

photo.JPG

You can run with rust... sort of... now that you have drained the crap from the tank get a couple of litres of fresh fuel mixed at 3% (32:1).

Make sure the petcock screen is clean before refueling, use clean fuel line, get both a saran type fuel filter (HomeHardware Item # 5111-452) and a paper fuel filter (HomeHardware Item # 5110-436). Put the saran one inline first then the paper filter, the saran will catch the big chunks as well as resist water, the paper one will catch the small particles.

Clean the heck out of the carb http://mabecanemobylette.freeforums.org/cleaning-the-gurtner-carb-t662.html

Vova Fett /
ven OP

Neat, thanks! I missed the emulsion tube and the diffuser...

So..that has a dimoby clutch?

Vova Fett /
ven OP

yezzir!

Vova Fett /
ven OP

washed it today and polished the wheels :) going to variate it tomorrow, put on new tires, and EBRs. Maybe different bars, these ones hurt...the seat is temporary too.

(edited)

photo (2).JPG

EXCELLENT!!!!

Vova Fett /
ven OP

Also, the pipe that came off of the Romp is constructed differently from the 50v one I have. I found this out because the previous owner did a poor job welding the retainer ring onto the exhaust, like REALLY REALLY poor job, and once it finally snapped off the exhaust came out of the exhaust port, and all of a sudden I was riding a mini gun on wheels. I replaced it with the 50v one. When you loosen the nut on the 50v exhaust, the tip comes out as this symmetrical part, which acts a silencer I'm assuming. The Romp exhaust however, has two tubes running along the length of the inside of the chamber, one leading from the exhaust port, and the other running from the silencer tip.

Vova Fett /
ven OP

Rebel Moby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> EXCELLENT!!!!

:D

Vova Fett /
ven OP

rode to work for the first time today!

† CH∆D † /

Rad. I love that its Chinese. My buddy dates a half french/chinese girl. They are in Vietnam right now gettin rad.

moby! moby!

Gimmme MO-B!

gimme' mo' U!

gimme mo' T

an' one mo' T!

whattaya gat?

Mo'B-U-T-T

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account