Re: Minnesota Moped Law Reform

Sam /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

"Hey without a title, you just need a letter from the person who gave the ped to you and you can apply for a title."

I don't doubt that this worked for you, but I haven't found anywhere that says this is legitimate. If it is the legal way to go about this, it should be clearly worded somewhere.

I was told by the DMV that in order to obtain a title, they would require the moped to be bonded for a period of 3 years at an expense of no less than $300 (not refunded) to insure the state against claims that the moped was stolen. That's a load of crap for a bike that cost me $20 ;-)

The other problem I've run in to is when looking up the VIN number the bike is still registered to someone. In the case of a car, this means it's probably stolen, but mopeds are traded around (stupidly) without titles completely legitimately. The problem is that the DMV can tell you the bike IS registered, but not to whom due to privacy laws. I don't think they would let you apply for a new title in this case, and you can be left with no way to contact the person who still holds the title so they can transfer it to you. This is a really sucky position to be in.

So maybe the best thing is to ask for your options to be clearly outlined in state literature.

As for bike lanes and passengers, does anybody have anything to add/change?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account