New Maryland Moped Laws - All the info I could find

This thread is really only relevant to mopeders in Maryland. Please don't lecture us on how good or bad we have it compared to your state.

I've been hearing a lot of rumors and speculation about the new state laws concerning mopeds, hopefully this thread will clear some stuff up.

I still havent been able to find a legitimate news article on the law change, if anyone has a link to one I'd appreciate it.

So here is what I know from reading stuff on the MD government website.

Senate Bill 309

Official Summary: Authorizing an insurer to exclude a moped and motor scooter from insurance benefits; requiring a moped or motor scooter in the State to be titled by the Motor Vehicle Administration; requiring an owner or prospective owner of a moped or motor scooter to obtain or maintain security; requiring an excise tax for a certificate of title for a specified moped or motor scooter; prohibiting an individual from operating or riding on a moped or motor scooter unless the individual is wearing specified headgear and eye protection; etc.

My take on the summary:

1) From what I've read the current bill does NOT require insurance for MD mopeds. It allows insurers to be able to say they don't want to insure your moped... but you aren't going to have it insured anyways, so who cares.

2) It will require them to be titled (I don't know the $ for the title, I've heard $5 to $20).

3) You will be required to wear a helmet and eye gear. IMO you should always wear a helmet anyways, and I doubt cops will be heavily enforcing eye gear, but who cares.

The bill have been approved by the senate (4/4/12), the house (4/3/12) and signed by governor (5/3/12). Its a law now, so don't expect it to be revoked or changed anytime soon.

This is the actual bill with the changes to the law

The major things from the bill:

1) You must title your moped through the MVA electronically (no details on what that means or the cost)

2) You will get a decal from the MVA that you must have displayed on your moped in a certain manner.

3) They are going figure out a way to determine the value of a moped. You might have to pay an excise tax (tax on a specific good, like car). I'm thinking this is only really important for people buying new peds/scooters from a dealer.

4) The MVA can waive these fees in certain circumstances. I don't know what that really means. (edited)

Re: New Maryland Moped Laws - All the info I could find

I may be wrong about the insurance thing. I found this that details the new law.

Here is what it says:

Titling and Registration

Mopeds and Motor Scooters

Recent spikes in gas prices have contributed to the popularity of mopeds and motor scooters, as many people regard these vehicles as a less expensive and more efficient alternative to automobiles for short trips. Traffic safety advocates, however, have expressed concerns about

the increasing number of mopeds and motor scooters on high-speed thoroughfares, as these vehicles cannot achieve the speeds of automobiles and, as a result, make integration with automobile traffic difficult.

Senate Bill 309/House Bill 149 (both passed) require mopeds and motor scooters to be titled and require an excise tax to be imposed on any moped or motor scooter for which sales and use tax is not collected at the time of purchase. On issuance of a title for a moped or motor

scooter, the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) is required to issue a permanent decal with a unique number sequence to be displayed on the vehicle.

The bills require the operator of a moped or a motor scooter to carry a vehicle liability insurance policy and to possess proof of this insurance when operating a moped or motor scooter. The bills also expand the definition of a “covered vehicle,” for which the Maryland Automobile Insurance Fund is required to provide insurance coverage to eligible individuals, to include mopeds, motor scooters, and any motor vehicle required to be registered with MVA.

Under the bills, an individual who rides or operates a motor scooter or moped is required to wear protective headgear and, if the vehicle does not have a windscreen, an eye-protection device is required. The bills authorize an insurer either to exclude certain economic loss benefits from personal injury protection coverage of policies written for mopeds or motor scooters or to offer the economic loss benefits with deductibles, options, or specific exclusions, as is authorized under current law for motorcycles.

Finally, the bills require MVA to waive the fee for titling a moped or motor scooter for an individual who owns the moped or motor scooter on October 1, 2012, and titles the vehicle during the first year that the law is in effect.

Perfekt Timing Angel /

Man, I'm bummed our state caved in, but at the same time, I like the idea of title and decal. The insurance thing, that is the biggest buttfuck of them all. I understand the need for insurance, but it's pretty absurd given the fact that a moped *was* considered a bicycle in MD, and that the collision incidents between real mopeds and cars is pretty low.

Maybe while they're at it, they'll impose insurance requirements from all the bicycle riders so when that cell phone dickbag in an SUV hits them, it's not the state that has to pay for the damages...the less fortunate will be left with the tab.

thanks for taking the time rob.

sigh

1) You must title your moped through the MVA electronically (no details on what that means or the cost)

^^^^^^

CALL THE MVA! That's how you get the correct info. I did talk to someone that is working with the programmers. We'll have to ride the summer out and wait. So enjoy the fucking summer and worry about that shit when it comes closer to the time of .. to legit to quit! yoB!

i updated the wiki, but was kinda lazy about it since i dont know MD laws, i put a reference to this thread in there so that thi thread doesnt become lost. i also updated the table of state requirements. (edited)

I knew this was gonna happen, SOON. I been pretty active in the cycling community in baltimore city but not on the political end. Now everyone wants to get involved to get more bike rights but more rights means more laws right? ! I dont want tickets for (safely) rolling through red lights..thats the beauty of riding a bike right?

not more than a week ago, I said "man all these scooters popping up is gonna end up leading to a crack down"

how many of you plan on registering yours? I know Id rather not...

If you don't following the rules. Then you will be riding dirty. Good luck with that .. Why worry yourself to death .. hell enjoy the summer worry about when they have the site up and running. (edited)

Thanks Aaron for updating the wiki. I changed the chart and removed the Y for registration. The new law only requires title but not registration (so no yearly payments).

I personally like the title requirement. When my moped was stolen last year the cops had no way to ID it if they found it. Sure someone could just pull off the sticker, but then they would get pulled over. Thats worth the $5 or $20 to me. As for getting tickets, I've already got them with no title.

The helmet requirement is meh... I always wear mine anyways.

What really chaps my arse is the insurance requirement. Does this mean I'm going to have to insure all 5/6 bikes? What about my project bikes and parts that might run in the future.

I recommend checking out this paper on the law.

They have done a whole analysis of the money the state will get from the new regulations - $107k the first year, $34k the next..... its all about the dolla dolla bills.

Mo Peds Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you don't following the rules. Then you will be

> riding dirty. Good luck with that .. Why worry

> yourself to death .. hell enjoy the summer worry

> about when they have the site up and running.

If I can't worry, then what would I do all day?

Youre right about the registration. Last fall my buddy at works tomos broke down when he was going home. He locked it up and didnt go back to get it quick enough (stupid on his part) and it got stolen. A friend saw someone riding it, followed them and found it locked up at UB. Since he had the title for it the cops cut the lock for him and let him take it.

Helmet, well nobody can really argue with that, I should wear one anyway.

Insurance is gonna be a big thing. If you go downtown baltimore you see all kinds of dudes weaving through traffic on scooters or even 80 and 125cc scooters (that look like 49s) and without tags. This new law is going to fill that gap (pulling the stickers off your 125 so noone knows) and when you get stopped the sticker will show its a 125 (somewhere in a database) and "hey where is your motorcycle license boy?"

Guess I should stay on my road bike for a while....

"I doubt cops will be heavily enforcing eye gear, but who cares."

Yeah, right. I live next door in VA and wouldn't you know it that the only two mornings where one of my headlights was acting up (i.e. did not come on, not a simple burnt out bulb, though) a cop pulled me over both times and since it was over 6 months apart, I only got warnings. Funny thing about that headlight was that it worked those evenings when I went home, I didn't change it the first time, which is why it happened later, changed it the second time it happened, though. In my current state I have driven past cops with a burnt out headlight and never been pulled over, even in my home state of NJ, not exactly a state that goes easy on folks with headlight malfunctions, I had never been pulled over. That is when I KNEW MD was nothing but a money grubbing state and you think some cop will give someone a break if they don't have protective eyewear on? Yeah, let me know how that works for you.

Paul

GET REALIZED! BE HERE NOW! /

I dunno i got a break running a red light speeding and running a stop sign while cops chased me. Cops could sort of care less about mopeds unless thud think its a dortbikeZ

Michael Fowler /

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the insurance should be on you--the driver/ operator. After all, you cannot ride all 6 mopeds at the same time, can you?

Company policies vary, at least in the old car hobby. Haggerty, I think, specifically addresses the issue for people who own more than one antique car as I indicated above--You can only drive one at a time.

Time for me to ask Nancy Jacobs for clarification. If I get a real ( as opposed to a "form) answer, I'll post it back here.

so the more I'm thinking about these laws the more I realize that there are some great things about this. and there are some terrible things about this. its not going to kill mopeds in Maryland by any means. but it sure will change a lot. I probably would still be going to Volkswagen shows. and dropping all my money into my old Scirocco, if Tags Title Reg and Insurance were required for mopeds when I first got into them a few years back. because that was a HUGE appeal to me. the fact that it was this great toy i could drop a few bucks on, and go and have fun. this kind of takes away from the whole "toy" feeling of owning a moped, when you know you are going to have to deal with the MVA and insure and title and blah, blah, blah. also now that I have become obsessed with mopeds and own 10+. a lot of them projects. ALL of them without titles. only because the titles never existed.... so, do I pay hundreds of dollars to get these frames and projects titled in their window of time? will I even be able to title a non titled moped after their window of time? this is where I know I will be stressing out in the future. I know the MVA is going to make this process extremely difficult. even if you are lucky enough to get someone who knows what moped is. then you need to convince them that they are supposed to just GIVE you a title for a bike that you can't prove otherwise is your property. even if that is what they are supposed to do. I know the person there is going to fight you about it. and I have a feeling the way that this is going to go down, just because the MVA has these requirements for everything else. is that if you want a title you need to provide a "receipt of origin". which is close to impossible for our 40 year old bikes. so we are screwed if they require that. which I think there is a large possibility that they will. because how else are we supposed to prove that we own these bikes. the MVA does not run on trust. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do about my bike. my daily driver bikes is a Tomos. that I bought a super junky frame for $20 and built up and engine for. but it is so junked up and re-painted and dented. that neither of the vins are readable. so I guess I could never have that bike legal? the ONLY good thing that comes out of this is that if your bike is stolen then you have a pretty easy connection to go get it out of impound for $275. at least you get it back. cause the way things are now. you're just not getting it back. honestly I think you could ignore all these laws and ride your moped for another 3-4 years without getting bothered. but that only applies to the Baltimore City area. none of those people riding dubs on a 250 down 83 with no shirts or shoes are going to listen to these laws. or even know they exist. i don't think its going to change a thing in Baltimore City. and when you ride through, the last thing the cops are going to care about is some hipster with a full face helmet, on a contraption from the 1970s going 30mph obeying traffic laws. the people who are really going to get screwed is all you upper MD folks. where the good ol boy cops are ultra bored, and trying to make their revenue cap. either way Ed is right. blast this summer and have fun and we will only know when they release the rest of the details. because in those details is what is going to really screw things up/ make them better. ok my rants is over....

Perfekt Timing Angel /

^^I disagree with you, C. I've been bothered by more cops in the city than up here in Harford/Baltimore county. In fact, I have yet to be pulled over in the 5 years I've lived here, plus the 3 years I've randomly brought my moped home and rode it in MD while living out of state. I've been pulled over twice in the city, and both city cops didn't even know it was a moped.

The reason they introduced this law is because it is more common to see scooters 'doing hoodrat stuff with their friends' in urban areas. They end up smashin' into cars, and the state is left to pay the tab the unisured scooterists left.

Although I think that we are going to get a grace period, it's only a matter of time before the cops start pulling bikes over without decals.

Insurance should be by choice, not mandatory, for mopeds. We're bicycles, afterall. That should be how the state sees us, and that's what we have to work on correcting.

Michael Fowler /

Here is the answer I rec'd from the MVA itself. This should be gospel. I asked about "mopeds" his answer references "Motor Scooters". Maybe there is a chance to get the distinction back.

Mr. Fowler,

Senator Jacobs has sent me your inquiry with regard to motor scooters. As of October 1, it will be unlawful to operate a motor scooter or moped without a titling decal affixed to the rear of the vehicle. An operator must have insurance and carry an insurance card and must wear a motorcycle helmet. The MVA is still working on the process to title motor scooters and it is anticipated to be complete shortly before October 1. We intend to have a process whereby an individual can apply online for a title and receive a title and decal in the mail.

If you are titling your existing motor scooter or moped before October 1, 2013, there will be no excise tax or title fee. You will only pay a $5 decal fee to receive your title and decal. After October 1, 2013 all motor scooters and moped titles will be subject to the 6% excise tax, $20 title fee, and a $5 decal fee.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Philip Dacey, Esq.

Director of External Affairs, MVA

410-768-7566

Perfekt Timing Angel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Man, I'm bummed our state caved in, but at the

> same time, I like the idea of title and decal. The

> insurance thing, that is the biggest buttfuck of

> them all. I understand the need for insurance, but

> it's pretty absurd given the fact that a moped

> *was* considered a bicycle in MD, and that the

> collision incidents between real mopeds and cars

> is pretty low.

> Maybe while they're at it, they'll impose

> insurance requirements from all the bicycle riders

> so when that cell phone dickbag in an SUV hits

> them, it's not the state that has to pay for the

> damages...the less fortunate will be left with the

> tab.

I got hit on my bicycle by a lady in an SUV this morning. not bad though, she hit her brakes and bumped me over, still - howabout that timing!

ANYHOW, i HAVE NO INSURANCE AND THAT WORKS ok, WHEN i DID IT WAS LIKE 7 BUCKS A MONTH - BUT i HAVE TOO MANY BIKES THAT i RIDE TO INSURE 'EM ALL.

did you always have to have a title? cuz that's the shit that kinda ruins me. No titles around here.

Chet Susslin /

I just ordered a Streetmate and I live in Hyattsville, its for commuting into DC. I probably should have found out before ordering it, but MD law says that a moped with a 50 cc motor and a step-through chassis is not required to register/insure. However the streetmate does not have a step-through chassis.

Does anyone know how Maryland deals with this bike?

Do I need to do anything before riding it into the state as of now?

I realize all this might be changing soon, but I'd like to know the current situation I've gotten myself into.

Thanks,

-Chet

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

told yall to fight that shit!

FACT: takes away from the whole "toy" feeling of owning a moped, when you know you are going to have to deal with the MVA and insure and title and blah, blah, blah.

less fun, all hassle

more money

no longer have the option to ride wo helmet/glasses

insurance on them is a joke to be required. not a ton but avg 75$ year, and if you have a bunch of peds get used to carrying 10+ policy cards everywhere you go.

if stolen the stickers the first thing to go

more reasons to pull you over/harrass

i'd be down for a last chance at freedom ride sept 30

fallout Survivor /

See post above. You can get the decal for 5 bucks online now apparently, and you will have to get a helmet and insurance.

Same person I talked with.

See making a big deal about this is sad and.. you think gas is going to drop .89 cents a gal.

Get the fuck out there and ride!

Chet Susslin /

I'm being told by the dealer that, as of now, I don't have to do any of that. I just wanted to hear from someone else in MD that has a bike like this and what they needed to do.

Sir Christopher, Volkswagen shows are no place for your Scirocco unless its mk1 madness or something. I been going to them shows for 13 years and they are getting worse and worse every year. Im just playing, the shows do suck but I still go to h2o, see you there. I have owned a Corrado for 13 years now...

So is this gonna turn in to one of those things where it will be up to the officers discretion to decided what category my 78 garelli falls under? I might have to build one of those motorized bicycles now, at least thatll stir up some confusion.

it most certainly is an issue with all the scooters popping up all over the places, but its not much worse than a cyclist being at fault and you dont insure your fixed gear do you? It is a stingy way to capitalize on a sprouting community...MD is super high in taxes.

just wondering if anyone has run across threads on other forums.

the bench, sport card trading (OT forum)

mintman2 is a good riding buddy of mine

if you find any, please link to this thread.

Dealer and others did not get the memo , yet.

fallout Survivor /

sure, today as of this minute you do not have to .. but the law has been passed and in some weeks you will be required to get a decal, wear a helmet and get insurance to legally operate a pedal equipped moped in the state of MD.

You will probably have a transition period and a grace period.

The transition period will be that time it takes to get the memos out to all the DMV offices and the police.

The grace period will be the period where leniency might be applied by the police for those found in violation of the new ordinance. (You might have months , at the discretion of the officers where they only issue warning.).

Since it involves insurance... probably very short. (edited)

Re: Dealer and others did not get the memo , yet.

Chet Susslin /

Great, thanks. Also, as i read the response in Michael Fowler's post from a MD senator, these laws won't take effect till Oct. 1, 2013. Is this not your understanding?

So...if no registration is required but liability insurance is, does that mean that I could ride and be covered under the insurance company that covers my car if I am already on a policy? Or are us MDers really going to have to add the moped as an additional vehicle on our insurance policy?

@ Chet. you don't need to worry about the step-through regulations with the streetmate. because the streetmate is a step through frame. the tank is plastic and its tank IS the frame. so it is by all technicallity a "step through chassis"

@ Rob. we have been fighting this the whole way. I really wish EVERYONE would have chimed in and wrote letters but I think some people don't realize how much this could ruin mopeds. also a lot of the processes were kind of processed hush hush. nobody knew what was going on for like 2 months then all the sudden it was done. and all the people involved who told us they were trying to separate Mopeds from Scooters had nothing to say. and the more I think about it the more scared I am. they are giving all the power to the MVA which is not good. I'm about 99% positive that what is going to happen here is you are going to Roll your 40 year old moped up to the MVA and there first thing they are going to ask you for is the "original receipt of origin" from 1970. unfortunately thats just procedure for them. cause they aren't going to just give you a title. if that were the case it would be too easy for me to steal all my friends mopeds during their "grace period" and go title them all under my name. and become supreme Maryland Duke of Mopeds. Because they will all legally belong to me. I don't think the MVA is going to let that happen. I know how they are known for being so understanding and lenient. so.... also Rob. I think in addition to a Last Chance For Freedom Ride. it should be a sleepover followed by a next day scenic ride to the riots we will be causing at the MVA when they tell us that we can no longer legally own our property without the correct paperwork. I do think we NEED to show up in numbers. maybe call them ahead of time. or else we won't be taken seriously.

We need to protest this big time! Mopeds in Maryland since the beginning of mopeds were never sold with titles because it was unneisary to title mopeds here. MD just has no fucking clue what a moped is, they always classify us as scooters no matter what we or the law says. MD obviously did not do their homework before creating this bill, all they did was say "hey, everyone's riding scooters, let's make something up so we can fuck everyone's ass and get paid while doing it!" that's all Maryland is about, fucking us hard, and taking our money, the entire government itself is in my opinion is one big terrorist organization, and the state of Maryland is just one big money grubbing state caring about no one but itself. I know 80% of the MD mopeders are in Baltimore, and you guys are awesome, but it's because of Baltimore that the rest of Maryland is getting punished by this law. Baltimore Is a large city, and there are a lot of "ghetto" type individuals there, all using our mopeds cause their cheap and easy to sleal, using them to run drugs, weapons, and do other illegal and inappropriate things, same with scooters, dirtbikes, atv's ect. I live in Frederick Md, with a total of, hell like 7 mopeds? This is going to kill off all of them. I hate this, I'm 18, been into mopeds a year, and I feel this is going to get my out of them once this bill passes.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account