We'll all be laughing when the apocalypse comes

Alexander Orange Moby Syndicate /

Quick science lesson for those who don't know:

HOW OIL REFINING WORKS

Crude oil is sort of evaporated and distilled. It is condensed in a big tower. Different weights of oil condense at different heights - heavier oils, like motor oil, near the bottom and lighter oils, like gasoline, near the top.

THUS

Since 2-stroke oil (not counting synthetics) is a petroleum distillate, and gasoline is a lighter-weight petroleum distillate, when we mix them, are we essentially just recreating an oil weight somewhere between the two? I think this is the case.

IMPLICATIONS:

- Theoretically, one could manufacture "moped fuel", taken right off the refinery tower. This would be impractical because there is little demand for such a thing, and would make it impossible to fine-tune your mixture.

-It is unlikely that they simply throw away any of those distillates. Therefore, it is likely that whatever weight range we are talking about is commercially available in some form or another. What is it?

-After the apocalypse, when most of the gasoline has been used up, we'll be laughing even harder than immediately after, when it was just scarce, because we'll be running on transmission fluid or whatever shit works. We'll probably be fouling a lot of plugs, but at least we'll be moving.

Thoughts?

Re: We'll all be laughing when the apocalypse come

Got moonshine?

when we mix gasoline and 2 stroke oil it doesnt make a new compound, they just dissolve into eachother, both are still present. so if there was a compound that is the same density, and viscosity as gas&2stroke it would likely not have the same explosive and lubricative properties

-chad

moped-ers will always be alrite (we have pedals)...but if we ever do run out of that type of fuel there will be an alternative to gas and oil there is vegetable oil for transmissions and ethanol for gas...im not sure about pre-mix though.

I see what you're getting at, but I don't think a mix of 97.5% light hydrocarbons and 2.5% heavy ones is the same as a homogeneous batch of "something slightly heavier than gasoline". Or maybe it is? I always kind of thought the oil precipitated out of the fuel/oil/air mixture inside the engine and lubed stuff while the gas got burned up, but I guess they probably do stay pretty well mixed. Maybe you're right.

Anyway, I'll be laughing when the apocalypse comes no matter what.

There's always the latent heat of vaporization factor to consider.

Reuben Mahaffy /

A mixture of two hydrocarbons is by no means the same as a pure solution of a hydrocarbon of their average weights. In addition to this, gasoline is already a complex mixture (including olefins, aromatics, napthenes, octanes, etc...) to draw on the various beneficial properties of these different hydrocarbons. Less care is generally put into the production of oils, but they are hydrocarbon mixtures as well. To try to burn one medium-weight hydrocarbon would not be advantageous at all. It likely wouldn't burn as well, and wouldn't lubricate as well.

The chemical properties of a compound are determined by much more then its weight. A somewhat analogous situation is liquor. Say that I'm drinking scotch that is 40% alcohol (ethanol, C2H5OH, weight 46 g/mol) and 60% water (HOH, weight 18 g/mol). Why don't I just split the difference and drink methanol (CH3OH, weight 32 g/mol)? Since methanol is quite toxic, this wouldn't be the best idea...

Of course biological systems (like my body) are pickier than something like an engine, but for similar reasons, oil-gas mixtures are not a bad idea...

Well Rueben, I'll drink to that!

Oh yes, there is always that. I remember that from air conditioning school 20 years ago. And don't forget about condensation. Peace. Jerry.

We will probably all be dead, so what difference will it make? Peace now, live later. Jerry.

i don't think gas will run out, it will probably just become rediculously expensive. in which case we probably still won't give a shit. as of right now I can honestly say I don't look at gas prices when i fill up and i don't follow gas price trends. $2 or $3 every 100 miles, who cares?

"We’ll probably be fouling a lot of plugs, but at least we’ll be moving."

I doubt if _anything_ will be moving after the apocalypse.

==========

hey wayne...Wayne....WAYNE!,

this bud's for...er..this thread's for you.

Horses don't need a lot, and they're actually quite delicious.

Yeah Jerry, I remember the psychrometric charts we had to build. There is a problem with just how much to saturate air or a vapor before condensation or pecipitation begins at points along/ under the pressure/ temperature "curve". Boyle's law and Charles' law come to mind. This problem is most vexing when I crack open a beer. 73s

Alexander Orange Moby Syndicate /

Damn. I thought I was on to something.

I guess I should actually study the underlying engineering principles involved in things before I start improving on over 100 years of innovation and refinement.

We'll all be laughing when the apocalypse comes

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Good info here. Jim

http://science.howstuffworks.com/gasoline2.htm

How Gasoline Works

You can already buy a petroleum distilate slightly heavier than gasoline. It's called kerosine. And doesn't diesel fuel fall in that category as well? I wouldn't expect either to work as a replacement for a 50:1 mix.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account