Motobecane High Speed miss

Hi smart people. My motobecane is now fully restored (thank god) except for 2 side panels. I do have one problem though, I can't get the fuckin thing run as fast as it should. Compression is great, cleaned the carb, getting what seems to be a decent spark. It is running rich regardless of whether I pull the air cleaner or not. I get a high speed miss and can't tell if it is due to a bad condensor or whether there is some type of air leak between the carb and cylinder. I can't get over a block before it does a little poppy thing at top speed. She idles fine though. Is it electrical? I haven't changed the condensor or the points, so who knows how old those are. I am up at 5300 feet, so it should be a little rich but it worked a week ago seemingly fine. Any suggestions would rock.

Re: Motobecane High Speed miss

chuck russo va /

if there is a leak on the intake, u can spray carb cleaner around all the gaskets while on the stand ideling and if the idel speed changes u have a intake leak

Re: Motobecane High Speed miss

Ron Brown /

kc wrote:

>

> It is running rich regardless of whether

> I pull the air cleaner or not. I get a high speed miss and

> can't tell if it is due to a bad condensor or whether there

> is some type of air leak between the carb and cylinder. I

> can't get over a block before it does a little poppy thing at

> top speed. She idles fine though. Is it electrical? I

> haven't changed the condensor or the points, so who knows how

> old those are. I am up at 5300 feet, so it should be a

> little rich but it worked a week ago seemingly fine. Any

> suggestions would rock.

KC,

How do you know it is rich. Have you done a plug chop?

Have you tried a new plug? Running rich will kill them quickly.

If you have not looked at the points, clean and gap them.

While you are in there, you can check the condensor with a vom.

You say it worked a week ago, does this mean it ran fine when you first put it on the road, then started to die?

Hve you cleaned the exhaust?

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account