Puch 2spd shifting Prob

I' getting a shaky,shimmy effect when the moped shifts from 1st to 2nd.It does it when you give it alot of throttle .once in 2nd it stops. if you don't hit the throttle hard it won't do it. thanz much Dan

Re: Puch 2spd shifting Prob

Have you changed the tranny fluid lately?

brand spankin new

Reeperette /

Don't take any chances.

First, check the mountings, one could be loose.

If that's not it...consider checking the gear shaft bearings inside...I know it's a pain in the ass, but it beats a blown trans.

-R

REE, took the cover off ,the bearing in the cover is[ not ]spinning freely not smooth its got a clicking sound, Ill get Ike and see if he has any,now to get it out ,not that i got to save it or anything, Thanks Ree Dan

Well done.

Reeperette /

Easier to change a bearing...than a shaft AND a bearing, eh ?

Innit now..

-R

Taking that bearing out is tough but I did it last summer. I used three 8 penny nails bound with a hose clamp to grip the inside of the bearing. Use a little heat but be careful not to warp anything. Also, the bearing is a tough one to find. The usual moped shops charge a lot. I got mine from the bearing depot (www.bearingdepot.com) Is it the large or small one?

Hi,Joel!Tell me more about this puller,please.Did you use the heads of the nails on the inside of the bearing and attach visegrips to the shanks?Or just how did you do this?Help us out here.Sounds like a good makeshift operation to pull some bearings.THANKS!

I used three 8 penny siding nails. They have a rather thin head so it could fit behind the bearing in the side cover. I placed them one at a time behind the bearing so that a little section of the nail head was grabbing the backside of the bearing. Then I placed a bolt in the center of the three nails to fill the center area in the middle of the three nails sticking out. It was probably a 1/4" bolt. Then I slid two small hose clamps around this assembly. One near the bearing and one closer to the top. The hose clamps just held everything in place. Then I gripped this with a vise grip using the curved open area of the vise grip not the tip. I clamped the vise grip in my bench vise. I heated the bearing slightly and tapped the cover until it came out. I would be careful with the heat though. You don't want to get it too hot. I hope this makes sense. It must have worked fine because I rode the ped all summer with no problems. Oh yeah I forgot, I put in a new bearing of course - from the bearing depot. I think that I kept this little puller. If I can find it I will take a picture if necessary.

Hey Joel,THANKS!I really would like a picture too.If it's not too much trouble for you.I think I understand how you did it.Very INGENIOUS!(:^)

Give me a couple of days and I will find it and take a picture. Glad to give some ideas. Lord knows I've taken my share from this forum.

Okay,thanks Joel.But I'll probably be offline after tomorrow eve. `til Mon.eve.Looking forward to it though.I already told some others about it on another forum and told them you might e-mail pics.(:^)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account