North East Moped Racing Presents: Cherry Valley Cup

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

North East Moped Racing Association presents to you our first annual Cherry Valley Cup.

I want to first thank our sponsors Motion Left Mopeds, 1977 Mopeds, Treatland, Tomahawk Tuning, and the Mohawk Mammoths for their help and support in pulling this together.

Both Open and Variated Class entry fee is $65 and additional $12 for a Pit Pass (If you desire one).

Classes Restrictions (subject to change)

Open Class (Red numbers on Dark background)

-49cc to 80cc 2 stroke motor

-Reed or Piston Port

-21mm carb limit

-Exhausts unlimited

-Frame reinforcements only (no custom frames)

-Forks unlimited

Variated Class (Black numbers on Dark background)

-49cc 2 stroke variated or parallelogram motor

-Reed or Piston Port

-Air or Liquid Cooled

-19mm carb limit

-Exhausts unlimited

-Frame reinforcements only

-Forks unlimited

Races

One race per month from June to September on Saturdays with Open and Variated Classes. Races run from 8am to 3pm with 1.5 hour practice session and bike inspection prior to the races.

There are 3 heats per class. 1st place of gets a maximum of 10 points, 2nd 9 points, etc. until 0 points. The highest scoring racer is the winner. Your points continue to add up throughout the entire season until the championship race.

Prizes are awarded to 1st place only (excluding Championship race).

The website is soon to come and will consist of your team and profile.

Track and Location

The track is located at Cherry Valley, NY. More information about the track is found at Cherry Valley Motorsports Park.

General Rules

Full Face Helmet

Long sleeves, gloves, no shorts (leathers preferred)

Boots

No glass headlights

Re: North East Moped Racing Presents: Cherry Valley Cup

A word from our sponsors

Motion Left Mopeds, one of our biggest sponsors for this event, is looking for several riders to race for MLM. Riders will be hooked up with some awesome MLM tech and sponsorship. If you think you have what it takes to race for the team, contact mlmopeds@hotmail.com

MLM and 1977 are also encouraging you to race with bonus discounts on anything you buy towards your racing bike! More information about the deals and offers to come.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/12 01:04AM by Victor Pagan.

This is really awesome, and I'm looking forward to it. A couple questions...

1. Can I run a variated bike in the Open Class? (Athena hobbit 21mm carb)?

2. "No custom frames" - A hobbit frame with the motor mounts moved back and a cross bar with the fuel inside the frame, can I race it?

Thanks!Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/12 09:34AM by Adam Russell.

—— ¢hief —— /

god damn superb, vic -

anyone who needs a place to stay if you travel to this is welcome at our place in albany.

> 1. Can I run a variated bike in the Open Class?

> (Athena hobbit 21mm carb)?

>

As of right now, if you run your variated bike (except Motobecane and Peugeot) in the Open Class, you have to stay in that class. If you wanted to change classes midway, there will be a penalty in your total score.

We just don't want you racing the same bike in both classes.

> 2. "No custom frames" - A hobbit frame with the

> motor mounts moved back and a cross bar with the

> fuel inside the frame, can I race it?

I see no reason not to. We just don't want frames fabricated from the ground up.

I'll be releasing an official set of rules shortly but this is to give people an idea of what to expect when building their bikes and keep the playing field leveled enough with some room for freedom.

Erm... So where is the line drawn between reinforcement and custom? Let's say for argument sake one were to take a Free spirit and install an after-market swingarm? What if that swingarm was home made instead of buying an aftermarket part? What if that swingarm were to be welded to the frame and rigid struts were to be welded in? What if a top brace was installed, the head tube re-welded on, and custom engine mounts for mounting a different engine than intended? etc etc etc.

What if I were to mount a Peugeot-ish engine to a Honda MB5 rolling frame? :)

NoISy BOyS KEV /

WOW!! this is so exciting. Here's what I got so far.. all in spec... This is great guys!!

I'm on the west coast...just wanna say...GOOD SHIT!!!

My fastest bike probably wont keep up with the pure race bikes, is it ok for people to be out there for the fun of it? and just get lapped?

Well, swingarm is not part of the main "frame". Obviously, aftermarket parts are allowed, such as an aftermarket swingarm. If you converted your bike to become rigid, that is still valid.

I can see everything you mentioned as valid except custom engine mounts. The problem is that you'll get those who feel that a moped with a motor that isn't intended for it is unfair to race, and those who think it's in the spirit of racing.

Again, the rules are subject to change, and I'm only trying to keep a fair game where tuning and skills is required and not an unlimited budget.

Bergs, feel free to bring your bike just for the spirit and fun of it all. We want people to enjoy the experience more than just the competition.

"We just don't want frames fabricated from the ground up." That's all I was really wondering, thanks.

Don't let Mars run his bike. it is very dangerous and shoots fire and drops thumb tacks out of the exhaust and robs little kids of their candy... and is probably faster than mine, so yeah, his shit is illegal.

Well, I guess I'm just thinking that, as far as race fairness goes, all that matters is the engine; what does it matter what the engine is bolted to? Is there really some unfair advantage to having an e50 strapped to a Honda Spree or some electrical conduit duct taped together?

I was guessing it was a safety regulation. so that some dumb bike that some dumb kid made with paper clips and christmas orniments doesn't fall appart on the track.

Mars, you've raised a good point. I'm just trying to prevent things like completely adding on scooter parts to a frame that wasn't made for it. I understand the tremendous amount of effort it would take to make it work, but the end product is something that would obviously beat most moped tech.

Anyway, here are amendments to the rules:

Custom frame modification for both classes allowed, with extreme modification (i.e. ground up frames) being judged on a case by case basis.

Engine swaps are allowed for both classes as long as the parts originate from a moped or aftermarket parts such as, not limited to, Mykitech or Polini. Extreme cases are again, judged before the race. Basically no obvious scooter motor on a moped frame.

Variated Class displacement is up to 70cc (for those with Hondas, Vespas, Derbi's, etc.)

That should make everything fair for everyone. I'm working on a signup form where you'll enter your bike, your racing number, and class. Stay tuned!

—— ¢hief —— /

well done. I am trying to help Vic out as much as I can with this but I'm generally pretty ignorant about actual racing logistics.

we figured the 50cc kits, both air or LC, available for french bikes pretty much blow most larger displacement cylinders outta the water anyway.

Oh, and don't get me wrong here; I'm just playing devil's advocate!

Custom frames are really just a matter of flaunting ability, and seeking additional safety. There is little that one could do in making a completely custom moped frame that would provide any race benefit. It's probably easier to bolt a Hobbit engine on to a Maxi than it is to make a completely custom frame; I bet one could even mount a Peugeot engine to a Maxi without cutting or welding anything.

So, why bother trying to classify and define what is what?...

It seems to me that the spirit of what we do is really focused on small displacement two stroke. Lots of people are adapting strange parts on to mopeds, and that ingenuity is what differentiates us from the folks at mopedriders.org. So, on that thought I would propose that a way of classifying and validating a legal race bike could be based on stroke and bore.

Obviously there would be a 50cc class; for kitted bikes however, it seems to me that what would make a good restriction to keep things moped-ish would be to restrict people to a 43mm stroke. That would prevent people from putting 150cc scooter engines on a Free Spirit frame.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/12 02:56PM by Mars™  .

For example, this would probably not fit within your rules, but fuckin'-a it should be allowed to race:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,861370,page=1

—— ¢hief —— /

hahah i was just telling vic about that exact build. a revival of the black betty spirit would make me giggle this summer!

devils advocate is well received for us, we're just kids trying to figure out how to make this the maximum illness. and the stroke restriction seems like a pretty good broad restriction as well. or maybe the carb restriction is enough in of itself.

kinda what you were saying, i feel like the reason rule scrutinization always happens with race event threads is a clear testament to why we are all interested in mopeds in the first place - theres so much crazy stuff people are doing it just causes a paranoia to make the races feel competitive and actually get anyone to come.Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/12 03:12PM by chief mycon.

or just say it has to be air cooled.

It's a never ending game if things change to accommodate everyone. If you want to race something that doesn't "fit in" to the rules, then just ask. The only thing that is restricted from letting Black Betty race is the carb. Not too big of an issue imo.

If you keep thinking about rules, it's just going to keep you from having fun with the whole biz. We're not trying to keep anyone out from having a good time, just keeping it safe and fair.

^ very well put ^ that's the right attitude for this thing.

Thanks for setting this up, I am excited.

also, ouch, that's an early start and three of those dates are rally weekendsEdited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/12 06:02PM by Ian T.

I think the grand prix style track will temper even the most built bikes.

Clutch work and good brakes is key.

Fast out of the corners and brakes in to them.

Will be fun, May 19th is a bit of a teaser for these races.

Hope it works out.

I tried to avoid the main Rallies, which ones did I hit?

Jesse, I completely agree. Your race will be the segway for the whole season. We already have some crazy work done out here in Albany, so the competition will be high this year.

this is crazy serious and cool

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

May I ask why no big carbs? I am not racing here (big did back in the now defunct polini cup), and carbs were pretty much open. While generally more power comes from a bigger carb, they usually require more advanced tuning skills to really make a difference. Kinda seems moot to limit there unless you are trying to create a restricted class like puch polini w/ 15 bings or something.

Well again, I mostly setup the rules as a guideline, not so much as a be all an end all. Some of it was adopted from the more serious French GR1-3 classes restrictions. But, for people who require a line to be drawn, there is one made. Inevitably, there will be some rule changes before the season starts anyway.

Oh damn. I'll get my Derbi ready for this. I hope you guys go open for the carbs in the open class so I can use my TM24.

Victor, any chance my 50cc 4 stroke Honda c110 would fit in a class?

I am building it for uscra "Classic 50" class racing at Louden NH. Your track is MUCH closer to me (I am in Oneonta) and you have more events.

The bike has no pedals, and has a 3 or 4 speed gearbox. I think those hot two strokes would stomp it.

Wish I hadn't just sold the Magnum project. I also have a Batavus VA, but I can't see how that would be competitive unless you have a stock 25mph class.

Thanks