Garelli dudes who know NOI clutches well. HALP?

clutch wont engage with the clutch lever so I took the clutch cover off and started looking around. I noticed a little metal nubby sitting at the bottom of the case and upon inspection it may have come off the tip of the starter cam thus causing it not to engage. I looked it up and the only picture/description I can find is this dude's off the old style noi clutch plate which looks different, but he seems to have had the same problem.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,2702612,2702795

little clutch piece

clutch cover

is that little nubby indeed off of that?

Also, anybody else had a problem with the replacement stock rings being waaaaaayyy too tight or maybe their cylinder being a little out of round? At first I thought I widened the intake too much and the rings were catching, but I drew lines in marker down the cylinder and the ring gaps aren't anywhere near the intake and there's plenty of bore around the intake. The reason I even realized I had this clutch problem is I was trying to check the compression on those weirdo rings.

thoughts? ideas? black magic trickery? (edited)

Re: Garelli dudes who know NOI clutches well. HALP?

Jerry Franek /

One of my Garellis came to me with the "knobby" friction welded to the lever that bears against it to operate the clutch action. I actually made two new pieces to repair the clutch. Easier, though, to buy new parts.

Comes from rider operating the clutch lever when he (she) wants the brakes.

I can tell you that I have surely never grabbed the clutch lever instead of the brake so I don't really no how it happened. Think I can just weld it back on, or is that a liability and I need to buy a new one?

Jerry Franek /

I made the "button" by grinding and shaping a bolt head. Spot weld would be good. The force imparted by the lever is not great and in the right direction.

Best wait to have some other experts chime in on this. I'm not one.

That should be attached in the center of the starter clutch plate. It gets pushed by that little "nubby" but isn't supposed to be attached to it.

I also had a clutch with the nubby friction welded to the lever

it happened because I forgot to put the starter clutch return spring back in. managed to get it apart and a new clutchplate comes with a new nubby

i like your new term. "nubby" the manual calls it a pivot pin.

That pin should be rewelded in the hole if you intend on MacGyvering it yourself.

ah, the ole manual. don't know why I didn't think to check it. Maybe I'll try some plumbing solder before I try and weld it in place. Thanks d00dz.

Jerry Franek /

Solder will not last for #12, you want a stronger bond than that. Be certain #10 is shaped correctly also.

Buying new is the surest and easiest route.

But not much fun.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account