Welding an intake to a kit

Benevolent Aroh /

I have a somewhat stripped stud on my 65 metra kit.. would it be a bad idea to weld an intake to the kit? Ill be running a 19 mm intake with a phgb..

Re: Welding an intake to a kit

Helicoil is a better idea. Don't weld it, sometimes things need changing.

after years i ahd stud issues, i drilled them out and tapped them to 1/4 inch i think , worked good .. but i thought the same thing abiout welding it on, wouldnt really need to worry about gasket . use nickel 99 if u can but im sure whatever would work.

Yeah you could , but why ? Because you never drilled and tapped before ? Try it , its not that hard . It will be a skill that will shine elsewhere in the future . More so then welding an intake on your cylinder . Plus , you could easily warp it or cause more cleanup work then you would otherwise . Maybe even some obstructions in the said intake that you cant get to anymore . Not to mention getting at the exhaust port anymore would suck if you ever wanted to tap into the free power of porting that kit could use . And welding makes it much harder to change intakes , positions ,different carb mfgs. or sizes or any other change you may want to do . Maybe its next owner would pay you less for it .

I vote for fixing the busted stupid studs with a m6 tap . Metrakits are known for this crappy design . Some people cut those studs off straight away and upgrade to begin with .

With love ,

My Two Cents

Benevolent Aroh /

yeah, ive got a press and tapping it wouldnt be a problem.. my reasoning for welding it is only because I wont ever change the setup on this ped.. and eliminating any potential air leaks on the intake sounds appealing

Salsa Salsa /

is the kit stripped or the stud?

i pull my studs out and fun allens. if its just the stud, pull it out.

You can get studs that are 7 or 8mm on one end for your new tapped hole in the cylinder and 6mm coming out just like the old one. Its stepped.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account