Fair price for paint job

I have a student who works in a body shop and offered to paint my Maxi for $100.00. Fair price for the northeast?

Re: Fair price for paint job

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

if it comes out nice yeah sure.

ɯɐpɐ ʞunʞs /

As long as it comes out nice and is resistant to gas, sure. But if you're gonna disassemble it, you could get it powdercoated in a basic color for around the same price, potentially.

He may be willing to powdercoat it at that price. I'll ask. He's a really nice guy - he'll disassemble the bike - and he's done great work that I've seen already.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

lol, I do body and paint as a hobby and the only way I would paint your bike for 100 is if you brought me the parts ready to shoot and the product. Thats a smoking deal if hes going to take it apart, prep it, and paint it. Ill take 10 at that price. But maybe he does shit work and I would rather pay him 100 to go away.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

It'll look like an Earl Scheib job at that price. I'm envisioning a bad tape job with mega overspray.

Try it out. helping students get paid is where its at. No reliable customer base to vouch for ya means you can't charge shop prices, help a brother out and take the risk I say.

Primer, paint and clear for my motorcycle tank cost over $400, and that was wholesale.

I'd say go for it, if it doesn't work out Krylon's only $6 a can!

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

^^^pic of $400 tank?

very fair for just spraying it... not fair if he's gotta prep it all

If his name is Jesse S., don't do it. He had our bikes for literally months and didn't do them. Only refunded part of our money too. And his work was absolute crap.

Matt, I thought pretty much along the lines of your comment. He didn't seem to think disassembling it would be so time-consuming, but it's a '78 -- things can get pretty stuck after awhile! I think I'll wait until the fall and have him do it up nicely and pay him well. I've seen his work, and it's quite good, partly because he has access to a full shop.

Thanks everyone, for weighing in.

nope. fuck paint. who gives a shit if it looks like trash. not me. once i paid 125 to powdercoat my frame and tank. it was a screamin deal and TOTALLY not worth it.

Matthew Brown Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Matt, I thought pretty much along the lines of

> your comment. He didn't seem to think

> disassembling it would be so time-consuming, but

> it's a '78 -- things can get pretty stuck after

> awhile! I think I'll wait until the fall and have

> him do it up nicely and pay him well. I've seen

> his work, and it's quite good, partly because he

> has access to a full shop.

>

> Thanks everyone, for weighing in.

Sounds like you knew the answer the whole time.

Nova,

Not entirely -- there is a lot of collective experience on this site that I lack. Like I've never taken apart an entire moped, just bikes. But I did have some doubts about taking my student up on his offer as stated. I don't want to cheat someone.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account