Motobecane seat key?

So, I went ahead and bought the 1981 Motobecane I posted about a couple of days ago and I friggin' love it. Only issue I can see right off the bat is that the seat key is missing. Not a HUGE deal, but would be awesome to have that storage space available. I see two options:

Break the lock. I really don't care if the seat ever locks again -- all I want is to have access to it. What's the best way to do this? Screwdriver and hammer?

Find a replacement key. Is this even an option? What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks again!

K

Re: Motobecane seat key?

try to pick it? i cant imagine its a very complicated lock all else fails drill it out dont use a hammer and screwdriver. one slip and youll likely damage something else

ɯɐpɐ ʞunʞs /

Keep in mind the lock is used to keep it shut. Without the lock mechanism or something to replace it with, the seat will not stay shut.

Just work at the lock. Moped locks are feeble at best and were either intended as a deterrent (thief will go for the unlocked bike rather then a locked one) or to slow them down (while they are messing with a lock you can get a clean shot off at them).

You can usually either get up behind them and trip the pawl on the lock OR get up behind them and temporarily slightly bend the striker plate.

i unbolted my seat then cut the lock out and made a new latch with some threaded rod and some bolts but 1977 sells the whole lock kit for the le moped for like $60 but it comes with the fork lock, seat lock and the swing arm lock with keys

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Come on, where's the pics?

Never seen a seat lock...fork locks yeah...but never a seat lock. Pug key blanks work I think. A lock smith can pick and re-key it if you are really hung up on having it.

It's been posted before that a Samsonite luggage key is the same as a Moby.

Ha - no shit! Gonna have to try to snag a Samsonite key and test out that theory.

The ped is a little camera shy right now, but pics to come!

I'd drill it out, put a new lever in there attached to a set of brass knuckles and then it'll look real rad. you can put weed and tools in there.

I was once told by a locksmith that he could make a new key (not only unlock) for a Moby fork for cheap. I dont think seat locks are much harder to work on. But maybe my locksmith is some kind of a wizzard too. He was, looking pretty old.

Unbolt your seat and take it to your locksmith?

Yep the older Samsonite luggage key with the rectangle heads fit Moby Nieman fork locks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account