Should I bake my freshly painted small parts?

So, I recently got most of my Kreidler parts painted-- They have been dry-ish for a few days probably, and were not done 'professionally'. I noticed paint chips off using my fingernail-- so, can I bake the smaller parts in a standard, conventional oven for some amount of time to resolve this?

I know almost nothing about painting things, so positive advice is welcome. Would have had it powder coated, but wanted it done fairly cheaply and figured I went the best route for now.

Thanks!

Re: Should I bake my freshly painted small parts?

Aqua Dublavee /

Get power coating spray, spray it on, bake it in the oven. It's better than having to repaint stuff once the rattle can flakes off.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I does help speed up the drying. For paint to last, it needs to cure for a while, before being remounted on the bike. Not too high a temp.

clear coat too

Okay, so two questions then;

- I've heard the terms 'power' and 'powder' used almost interchangeably a few times. Which is which, and, should I have someone else do the coating?

- What temp. in the oven (with or without the p. coating) and how long? I've read a ton of different recommended times / temps., so what'd be good?

Aqua Dublavee /

I meant powder. Wasn't paying attention to my typing sorry. Powder coat, bake, rest, clear coat, rest, ride.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Oven on warm, or about 200 degrees is enough to dry it fast.

Is about a half hour in the oven okay? I'm new to painting and want to make sure I do everything right.

Read this: http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/How_to_Paint_Your_Moped

Very helpful and explains a lot.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

^^^that wiki did mention oven drying, but not how long. The longer the better, I would do at least 2 hours, and probably another whole day, before I would put it back on, but I'm too picky and never in a hurry..

Okay, thank you for the advice! I'll post on here if I get the time to do it soon.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account