Did Mopeds Require A LIcense in the old days?

Johnny SMithfinger /

If it did not require a license then did Drunkards Kill the moped? I ask this because anything @ 30mph and under has been referred to at one time or another as a dui vehicle. I don't have any facts about the matter so it is my assumption. What about irresponsible riders? I can't find much on the net with regards to why laws were changed etc. Whats the history and reason behind a crackdown on such vehicles? If it was accidents.. was it because of idiots on mopeds or because of mopeds not being respected by drivers etc?

Please fill me in.

Re: Did Mopeds Require A LIcense in the old days?

You need to find some of the older MopedBiking magazines. They have the history of the manufacturers & Dealers getting the machines into the USA after the gas crisis(es). States had no regulations because mopeds where a gray area vehicle that was undefined. DMV's most likely wanted a way to make money off of it all and keep track of a new kind of vehicle on their roads that could get into an accident. Some states took longer than others to get licensing started. Other states like MD and VA simply made it a law to ride & operate and left registration out of it to this day.

when i was a kid in ohio, you could ride a moped at 14. i don't think a test or a plate was required.

Michael Fowler /

Popular Mechanics ran a bunch of moped articles back in the 70s and 80s. Here is one which lists regulations by State:

books.google.com/books?id=z9gDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA104&dq=Popular+Mechanics+Mopeds&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yEJCT-PXC6T30gGpp4XvBw&ved=0CGoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Popular Mechanics Mopeds&f=false

IF I got the entire link!

If the link fails, just go to google books and popular mechanics mopeds

Larry Picarello /

Please do a search on my old threads:

"When Mopeds Ruled the Earth"

and

"The Golden Age of Mopeds"

I was there and lived to tell about it.

Michael Fowler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Popular Mechanics ran a bunch of moped articles

> back in the 70s and 80s. Here is one which lists

> regulations by State:

> books.google.com/books?id=z9gDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA104&dq

> =Popular+Mechanics+Mopeds&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yEJCT-PXC6

> T30gGpp4XvBw&ved=0CGoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Popular

> Mechanics Mopeds&f=false

>

> IF I got the entire link!

> If the link fails, just go to google books and

> popular mechanics mopeds

link

1984 is the magic year in Ontario Canada when the government decided they would 'regulate' mopeds, snowmobiles and other "off-road vehicles". Before then it was basically just ride them and registering anything like a tractor, snowmobile, moped, minibike and such was either optional or local jurisdiction (I still have some of the bicycle license plates from my town) and even then it was more of a recommendation in case of theft then something which was enforced.

People deciding mopeds were somehow a DUI vehicle is urban legend and as true as calling a lawn tractor a DUI sedan. Up until the 1980s people in the main stream really did not take such a hard line against DWI/DUI. It was common place for local law enforcers to let Charlie drive himself home because it was too far to crawl or stumble if the 'knew' the person. The cops would just drive behind them or go check at their residence after to make sure the car was parked in the driveway.

Back then drunk at the wheel was seen more as an annoyance which some people could or couldnt handle, sort of the way people debate 'distracted driving' today.

Overpriced Parts /

In Ohio in the mid 70s I needed nothing to ride a moped but I still would get pulled over from time to time for lack of a plate

Even then I had to show the petals, say its a moped yada yada to the uneducated cop and one time after being pulled over and being told my bike was illegal I just rode away

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

In NJ, prior to 1983, you had to be at least 15 years old, possess a moped license, and have liability insurance. In 1983, NJ required that mopeds be titled, registered and helmets were required. That is when mopeds "died" in the state of NJ. By the mid/late '80's, most moped dealers had closed shop.

ɯɐpɐ ʞunʞs /

Posting just to show my hatred for the words "the old days".

here dudes, scanned from the book "All About Mopeds". these were all the laws circa 1977.

rulez.jpg

Michael Fowler /

o many people these are things of "history". For me its remembering.

Glenn Krueger /

In the 1960s in Illinois, I made a moped using a Briggs and Straton lawn mower engine (horizontal shaft) and a strong bike frame. I will have a picture soon. It is being digitized. I had to license the bike (state plate and a village tag). I was never stopped. I rode that homemade bike for years. The engine had a very small gas tank-maybe aa pint. With gas at $.30 a gallon, I filled up for less pennies. At the time, service stations pumped the gas. Can you imagine the looks I got when I pulled up to the pump and I spent less than a dime. The attendants often got pissed. One filled the tank and just walked away never collecting the eight cents I owed.

Unfortunately, the bike was stolen and was never found.

Oddly, our family only had one car and my brother and I were dating our future wives at the time. The bike was used by each of us for transportation to see our future wives. I guess that is why I like mopeds.

Cute story glenn, I am very excited ot see that homemade bike! very cool. make sure you post!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account