Riding in Rural Wisconsin

I'm looking at a possible trip in late summer from MPLS to central wisconsin.

Was looking at taking hwy 10 for much of the trip. Anyone in WI have any tips? Is it better to try and stick to county roads?

Thanks...

Re: Riding in Rural Wisconsin

- Summerai - Corey Livieri /

We have a big group that rides from Green Bay to the tip of Door County, WI every July. We take mostly back roads, which makes the ride super enjoyable. Also, you avoid less unnecessary run-ins with law enforcement.

Trevor Fladwood /

I will be on this trip as well, and a route that does not have too far between dive-y bars is preferable, in case we break down and need to lubricate ourselves.

Don't over lubricate....any fine incured in WI must be paid on the spot, yeah the troopers have credit card machines in the car! Make sure you are plated, insured and valid! Have fun.

I was reading the WI-DMV that said mopeds cannot ride on freeways. But wasn't quite sure what that definition was.

My thoughts were to ride hwy10 as it is just one lane each direction, but does have a shoulder. From my experience many of the back roads may not have shoulder, but still cars and trucks driving 65mph....

Thanks Steven,

Our bikes are all legit. Besides taking the trip, I don't plan on doing anything too stupid. We're both in our 30's and beyond the dumb age.

We are starting from Hopkins with the day 1 goal of just getting to the boarder.

google map a bicycle or walking route, less traveled roads that way. More scenic ones too

---------------- LaZer ------------* /

Let me know if you're planning to head through Wausau. If you're taking 10 you'll end up in Steven's Point - about 35 miles south of me. Keep a look out for Amish horse and buggies on that stretch of road. You don't want to spook Mr. Ed!

I ride the back roads over in this area..I take it your crossing at Prescott on Hwy10 into Wisconsin This is a great place to cross with a moped.Also I would only run Hwy10 where you have too.The thing is with back roads there are very few cars if any on them.If you look at a map there should be a road either north or south that follows Hwy 10.Where are you going?This would determine what you want to run..I was planning a run to the twin cities this year on my moped.My mother lives in Newport / Woodbury area..I have ran most of the roads as far as Ellsworth.Are you camping??A date Planned?If you come this way let me know..Also if you have a problem I am about 30 miles from the border so please keep me posted.

Where in Hopkins are you? (I live there too). Prob not brave enough to take that ride, but would like to hang out this summer, maybe ride a bit. Good luck on your trip.

Stephen,

We both live over by Blake/Excelsior. We normally ride down to uptown or for "short" rides, just to Hopkins Tavern. I'll let you know when we take our first ride.

We don't have dates yet. Thinking about late June. Our final destination is Rudolph, half way between Stevens Point and Wi Rapids on the wisconsin river. We are bringing a tent, but if it is storming, may look for a motel...

Thanks for the advice, we'll keep you all updated on planning...

Tim, I' am on Blake and Hiawatha, very close to you it would seem, I' ll keep my eye out for you!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account