SoCal Moped Race Sat April 7th 2012 Grange Track, Victorville.

All Moped riders are invited to join the motorized bicycles at the next race.

Christophe Naulet was the only moped at the last Oct 22nd race so come on out

and make a track event for all the Southern California Moped riders.

There are 5 mopeds and a scooter coming from a local Apple Valley club.

Will give mopeds two 6 lap heats and a 12 lap final.

Please reply to the thread if you are going to attend.

you can email me at MotorBicycleRacing@gmail.com

SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing 2012 Grange Motor Circuit.

Saturday April 7th 2012

Gate opens at 6.00am Saturday for registration.

Sunrise: 6:28am 12 hours track time 7am to 7pm

Sunset: 7:15pm

Practice from 7am to 9.45am

Heats start at 10am.

Free camping Friday night and Saturday night included with track entry or as a spectator.

Grangé Motor Circuit

20455 Central Rd.

Apple Valley, CA 92307

Here is a pic of Chris in one of the Mid Range and 11 HP heats.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/12 07:39PM by Neil Sr.

Re: SoCal Moped Race Sat April 7th 2012 Grange Track, Victorville.

Sticky track, lots of competition, great price, emt on standby, and people that are maybe even more nutty about tiny bikes than you. What's not to love?

See you all there or forever regret it.

60 days left! A ton of different classes from totally stock bikes all the way to franco morini/ktm fire breathers.

Or are you scared of the motorized bikes that we so often mock?

Put up or shut up.

Christophe Naulet /

I'm planning on coming with one bike and support the event.

I don't think people in SoCal are scared of motorized bicycles. They're just not that much interested in moped racing anymore, no more fast bikes or good tuners, or bikes ready to compete.

I don't think moped people in LA have that racing spirit or the budget for it, it's more about social groups and hanging out now. I pushed hard for the past 2 years with no success.

Even though the track is only 1h30 from LA compared to 4h drive when we used to race in Atwater NoCal in 2009/2010, it seems like it's still too far for the occasional racer. And with my experience stock moped owner don't bother racing, it's too slow and boring.

It's sad cause moped racing is still strong in states like Washington, Oregon, Michigan, and a new race is starting on the East Cost with open class and variated class.

Christophe

It's on, super monster will be done by then.

What I learned about myself when we threw the Invitational out there is that I had more fun riding out in the desert around the track then I did on the track.

Yeah a few LA folks kinda think the desert is pretty and all that. They need to get out of the city more and that means you need to come race, aris.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/12 09:11PM by Ryan Mayer.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

The only reason moped racing is alive in those states is because you dont live in those states, christophe. I'm pretty sure everyone in los angeles knows you'd blast their faces off. I'd be much more excited about a street race.

Christophe Naulet /

Yeah, I wonder if I'm not the main reason why some people quit moped racing in LA fearing to get their 75cc blasted by my 50cc bikes.

I don't get it. As a racer my reaction is the complete opposite. Getting blasted on the track IS what motivates me to compete and become a better tuner or racer. There's always somebody faster than you and lot to learn.

Why do you think I kept building 50cc engines when everybody was running 75cc mopeds at the 2010 polini cup? People thought I was stupid. But even if I was finishing 3rd or 4th not 100% ready, it motivated me to try to catch up with those monster mopeds and beat them with a smaller engine, more reliable too. An other season and I would have been able to win races.

I think the track is a better playground than the streets. It's safer and easier to set the rules. Other than drag racing I don't see how you could street race. But even then, people wouldn't show up if they're afraid to be beat.

Personally, win or lose, I just love to compete. But being the only moped racer out there for the past 2 years, my motivation is slowly fading.

i'm in the same boat, christophe. i actually bought a gpr so that i could at least do track days again. if it wasn't so far to go to only race you, i would go to the socal races.

Christophe Naulet /

I agree, distance is a bitch.

I'm the first one to admit that I probably wouldn't travel to NoCal to race anymore. I've done it, it's expensive and tiring.

I'm glad we have few race tracks and 3 or 4 events scheduled in SoCal this year even though it's for motorized bicycles.

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Dean, if you decide to come down, let us know.

I'm gonna try to make it.

i don't mind the distance too much, i used to drive 13 hours from seattle to atwater back in the polini cup days and i loved it. it's more the lack of interest. if there were a bunch of kids on mopeds stoked to go racing, i'd build something and come play, but it's just you, a few try-to-make-it's and the bicycle guys. total bummer.

Christophe Naulet /

I remember. You're the only guy I know who used to drive that far to race :)

Nobody can ever question you're dedication to moped racing.

Thanks for the effort, but yeah nothing serious in LA for you to come play.

Btw, if you still have those stock mbk cases + malossi 50cc kit and not using them I'd be interested in getting them back to build an engine. Thx.

nerdzilla in the north of he south /

My fam is in town from Ohio or I'd roll down for fun….

Christoffe why you talking all this shit? First off nobody is scared away by your 50cc. Yeah you make em go fast. You spend more money and time then anyone I know. Congrats. You make a kids toy fast. /= but that last time you started making 50cc rules that totally rules out LAs fast bikes. I dont wanna build some bike I will hate just to find out that nobody is racing or showing up. It happened to me wiht the polini cup, now i have a stupid fast puch with a polini kit, that sits in my garage.

The Budget part might be the only thing you got right, that and a job that keeps me in another country. I love racing, anything really, but moped racing was my favorite.

well good news for you then because at this event there isn't really any class requirements. Just pick a class that you (honestly) think suits you.

If I have the time and a decent running bike I'll be there. (either my za gila or a new peugeot build) Wish I had leathers and size 12 boots though...

Ryan Mayer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> well good news for you then because at this event

> there isn't really any class requirements. Just

> pick a class that you (honestly) think suits you.

THIS

It's honestly not that far of a drive at all especially if you take a pit stop at Chick Fil A.

Some of us were thinking of going but you unfortunately scheduled it ON MY BIRTHDAY

Don't blame me I didn't schedule it but it just so happened to also land on my friend's girlfriends birthday but that's not stopping him. lol

Also no leathers are required, if that was what you were thinking Jake. dot, gloves, elbow pads, knee pads, work boots. But of course leathers would be great.

Christophe Naulet /

Brian, relax man :)

I wasn't pointing at you or anybody. I had a good time racing once with you in Nov 2010 and know how much you love moped racing but couldn't make it last year being out of the country a lot, and I agree the budget is always a big problem.

You might have witnessed, as I have, a shift among mopeds riders in the past year. I haven't really seen fast bikes on the track or streets for a while.

People lost interest in moped performance in general in LA, you included when you told me you just wanted to build cool bikes not necessarily fast.

I'm cool with that. Nothing wrong about the new cool 45mph Tomos we're starting to see more and more on the streets .

My actions speak louder than words. I showed up at many events by myself in 2011 inviting lots of people to join me but nobody showed up. You're wrong about the classes and probably missed what was discussed on my blog and mopedarmy at the beginning of the season when we talked about building classes to let any moped rider play, OPEN (which always kill an event in the long term discouraging the slowest), 50cc varaited to level up the field for long term succes, and even STOCK Tomos possibly with performance pipe. It didn't matter! NO moped racer showed up on the track, except for Tracy once in March 2011 1st race. There were no interest for moped racing in LA last year and since the polini cup died in 2010 because the OPEN class with monster bikes, those are the facts.

I'm not talking shit, I've already played that game last year to challenge people to come race me and it didn't even work.

This time I don't care, I was just being honest and reporting the facts based on my experience so that this race organization I'm trying to support doesn't get too pumped about moped racers coming in numbers.

This coming event is an OPEN class with no rules! so if you're in town and available bring your fast polini Puch moped and come play with us, and if you can't, spread the word among your friends. That's it.

ChristopheEdited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/12 05:55PM by Christophe Naulet.

Tracy Meade /

The talks about SoCal racing is getting tiresome. So lets wrap it up.

MOPED RACING NEVER TOOK OFF IN SOCAL. IT APPEARS THAT NOBODY GIVES A FUCK. IF YOU DISAGREE, VOTE BY PUTTING A BIKE ON THE TRACK AT LEAST ONCE THIS YEAR.

I might show up and fuck around, but I don't have any desire to keep beating the dead horse of a hypothetical race league of SoCal.

THERE WILL BE PEOPLE AT THE TRACK THIS DAY. IF THAT SOUNDS FUN, THEN GO.

Christophe Naulet /

THX Tracy!

It couldn't have been said better!

If I go, it's just to enjoy myself for an afternoon in the desert, have fun with few local moped riders like Ryan and check out the motorized bicycles.

What I really meant is I DON'T expect any moped racer there and know that moped racing is dead in SoCal but I'm a nice guy and try to help any racing organization the best I can by plugging their event.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/12 07:02PM by Christophe Naulet.

I think this race series has more potential for success than any other because the field of competitors is so much larger. No longer are we counting on just mopeds to fill the ranks but scooters and motorized bicycles as well. And some are surprisingly fast according to christophe. And most importantly to a broke mofo like me the price is right, seemed like m1gp and scmini wanted an arm and a leg every race if I remember right.

Christophe Naulet /

Yep, this race - or if want to call it hanging out with fellow moped riders, scooters, and motorized bicycles in the desert on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and riding your kitted bike safely on a track - is really no headache compared to the other organizations.

Cheaper fees, open class with no rules, very minimal safety rules.

I think it's always a good place for any moped builder to bring their latest fast moped even built for the streets and put it to the test against other fast bikes. If you're into mechanic and engine tuning, you learn so much more than on the streets, pushing your bike to the limits (engine and chassis).

The best to learn even more, but it rarely happens, is to test ride and feel each others bike at the end of the day.

That's what most of the smartest french moped tuners/racers used to do back in the 80's making friends with the other teams ;)

Christophe Naulet /

If I make it, I'll try to bring 2 bikes and loan my motobecane av10 50cc to whoever wants to have fun racing but doesn't have a good running moped or feel like their bike wouldn't be competitive enough.

You just gotta be ok with pegs and know how to ride a variated french bike with a launch lever, or not but wont use the engine's full potential. If you're a quick learner I can teach you at the track during the morning practice session.

Don't worry about crashing it, I won't be mad. It was a cheap built for a fast race/street bike at $1,200 total, less than most street pimped kitted bikes.

I can let some people test ride my Peugeot 103 h20 but not race it, that one is expensive and little more high maintenance with a high rpm engine.

ChristopheEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/12 11:42PM by Christophe Naulet.

Christophe, I would definitely like to try your bikes. I'll be there.

Christophe Naulet /

Ok.

Bring one of your bike too, maybe your variated Peugeot project if you can get it ready in 60 days, so I can test ride it and give a diagnosis.

On paper your engine setup looks good. If you get stock towards the end of the engine built or need help with final tuning let me know and I'll try to make room in my crazy schedule to meet you at the OC shop.

I forgot, probably one mandatory rule for all bikes is no headlight to prevent broken class on the track during a crash. Just a cheap plastic or cardboard plate with a sharpie to write the number they'll give you when you register in the morning.

Basic Tips: check your tires pressure, chain tension, brakes, engine bolt, tight pipe, handle bars, wheels, and shocks, no transmission fluid leaks on Tomos or Puch bikes.

Xtophe.Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/12 11:57PM by Christophe Naulet.

that white bike is amazing for only $1200 in parts.

Christophe Naulet /

Yep, it includes the cost of paint job at Melvin body shop.

I wanted to attract new racers by proving that you can build a cheap and competitive race bike, and also show to those who criticize people dropping lots of money on their mopeds, that being fast doesn't have anything to do with the size of your bank account, but more to do with building and tuning skills.

I found a complete rusty av10 bike for $100 on craigslist, kept the spoked wheels and frame.

Got a new free crank and a beat up kit for free from Tracy.

Cheap used stock av10 cases, new bearings, used 19 carb, used intake, used stock cdi, new performance pipe, used stock spring, new variator and belt, used pulley, used tires and tubes, new ebr fork, $75 complete disc brake assembly, used handle bars and controls, new $70 gas shocks.

The rest was just free hard labor.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/12 04:24PM by Christophe Naulet.