problems explained Sachs

A soft seize is exactly what didn't happen. It didn't overheat. The allen head bolts that I used to hold down the backing plate, that has the points and condenser on it, came all the way loose and jammed the flywheel. I used the allen head bolts, because they were easy to get in the correct metric size, and I've never been able to torque a tiny phillips-head down, behind a flywheel.

Now I either need to take the whole engine apart, or find a place that has a flywheel puller for a Sachs. I'm going to be on the phone tommorow. I also have to get some loctite, now, if I could only remember which color.....

Has anybody talked to the guys at Handy Bikes, since the new ownership? I need to get some other parts, and was wondering if there were any problems.

Re: problems explained Sachs

I saw something on ebay, about a flywheel puller for puch. I wonder if it would work for sachs?

Red loctite if you want it to stay on forever, if not, then the other color, blue.

Thanks- I think I'll use the red- lots of vibration in a 1 cyl. engine. The thing I'm going to have to remember is that every time I adjust the timing, I'll have to pull both bolts all the way out and re-apply.

seems like you could get a generic stearing wheel puller form an auto shop (maybe even a loaner) and just turn the arms backwards.. should work.

I have a friend with a gear puller that may work, it has pretty thin claws on it. The steering wheel puller needs something to thread into, and I don't want to blindly drill and tap into a flywheel. Besides making it unbalenced, I run the risk of hitting the components behind it. Thanks for the help tho.

well, all a 3 jaw puller did was start to bend the flywheel, evenly, and pop off in my hand. I guess I either get the "right" tool or take the damn thing apart again. and again and again

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account