problems explained Sachs

A soft seize is exactly what didn't happen. It didn't overheat. The allen head bolts that I used to hold down the backing plate, that has the points and condenser on it, came all the way loose and jammed the flywheel. I used the allen head bolts, because they were easy to get in the correct metric size, and I've never been able to torque a tiny phillips-head down, behind a flywheel.

Now I either need to take the whole engine apart, or find a place that has a flywheel puller for a Sachs. I'm going to be on the phone tommorow. I also have to get some loctite, now, if I could only remember which color.....

Has anybody talked to the guys at Handy Bikes, since the new ownership? I need to get some other parts, and was wondering if there were any problems.

Re: problems explained Sachs

I saw something on ebay, about a flywheel puller for puch. I wonder if it would work for sachs?

Red loctite if you want it to stay on forever, if not, then the other color, blue.

Thanks- I think I'll use the red- lots of vibration in a 1 cyl. engine. The thing I'm going to have to remember is that every time I adjust the timing, I'll have to pull both bolts all the way out and re-apply.

seems like you could get a generic stearing wheel puller form an auto shop (maybe even a loaner) and just turn the arms backwards.. should work.

I have a friend with a gear puller that may work, it has pretty thin claws on it. The steering wheel puller needs something to thread into, and I don't want to blindly drill and tap into a flywheel. Besides making it unbalenced, I run the risk of hitting the components behind it. Thanks for the help tho.

well, all a 3 jaw puller did was start to bend the flywheel, evenly, and pop off in my hand. I guess I either get the "right" tool or take the damn thing apart again. and again and again

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account