2012 Pacific Race Season

We will be setting the schedule for the 2012 Pacific moped racing season here very soon and I would like to get a headcount on people that plan on racing this year. There will be some changes this year that are a little different than in years past. The schedule will be shortened to 5-6 dates and will most likely be held only at Mac Track in McMinville. We will also be running this track in forward and reverse directions so it makes it a lot faster track. There will now also be two moped classes: variated bikes and single/two speed bikes. Basically fast and slow class so people can have closer races with similar speed bikes.

Last year we saw a lot more bikes coming out and a lot more speed from the bikes. We raced Mac, Pat's, and PIR. This year we are hoping to focus more on getting the numbers up and consistent with solid competition and more outlandish bike builds. Although last year we had a lot more racers than in the first year despite many of the first year riders not returning. Post up if you can if you plan on coming out this year and maybe what you plan on bringing out. I'll be racing my 40T for the variated class and bringing the 7 back out for the single. So bring it hard this year boys and girls.

Re: 2012 Pacific Race Season

Well you already know I will be there.

I am planning on racing the moby in the variated class, and I am building up a rigid free spirit for the "superstock" single speed. I am going for ultra light weight build, probably an e50 polini with a two shoe clutch. I am getting the motomatic/demm-derbi together for my pal to ride.

Spencer Jacobson /

ohhh... not sure if ill still be in oregon after the winter but i will be racing if im here! when do you expect the season to start? any rules posted anywhere?

Www.pacificscooterracing.com

last year we had our first practice in the end of april.

What kind of moped would you bring ? Hope you can make it!

Lincoln Snyder /

I am planning on racing this season. I have been working on my E50 Maxi. I just installed the HPI mini rotor and I have got some more parts on the way. If my Pugeot ever gets sorted out I will be racing it too. Now all I need is a good set of leathers.

I got some new ones. You can try my old ones from last year,they are at the shop. If they fit you I will sell them to you cheap.

Lincoln Snyder /

Cool! Thanks JJ!

I know most of the bikes in the works right now and most of them are pretty wild. JJ's got a couple that will be melting faces pretty much everywhere. I'm going to continue to push an AV7 as far as I can. The Law is building a hobbit that will make you rethink how fast a hobbit can go. Among some other rad bikes.

Spencer Jacobson /

id race my maxi n pretty much as is and ive got a bunch of derbi stuff back east i could build a variated race bike with. will the geared and variated classes be running at the same time or will people be able to race in both classes?

Lincoln Snyder /

There is only one track, so they should be racing at different times?

We will be having two races because some of us will be riding in both classes. Track fees are for the day and not by class so you can ride in multiple classes and bikes all day. It's not a full restricted class with the 1/2 speed class, think we are calling is Super Stock cause it sounds cooler than the slow bikes, but the rules are not final on it yet. Pretty much the same as the open class but with an engine restriction. Talked about having 70cc or less, with exceptions to minarelli motors. I don't really care if everyone has gila and 90cc vespa motors on a single speed, but more of an argument over what defines the class. If it's speed limits, cost, rider ability, fairness in the class, or making it more of a bracket racing sort of thing. I personally am doing it for fun and it's way more fun to race against someone so as far as I care it could be fast and slow so if you have a slower bike you can compete and have fun. Not feel you need to spend thousands to get to the front. Like I said, it's up in the air right now but it's coming together quickly.

Spencer Jacobson /

oh i see, so the geared class you be a little more restricted and then the variated will be pretty open. what kind of track speeds were you guys seeing last year?

umm, I have no idea, don't think anyone clocked any of the bikes. Upper 50's low 60's I assume, but hard to judge. And that was only a couple of the bikes. Mostly 40's though. Mac backwards is actually a pretty fast course.

Spencer Jacobson /

which way is backwards? counter clockwise?

yea, counter-clockwise. I remember hearing that is the way the track is designed to be run but it was too fast and there was not enough runoff at the end of the strait and people were getting hurt. So we usually run it clockwise. But when it was just us one day at the track we all ran it the faster way and it was much for fun for us. We share the day with supermoto, mini, and scooters, and they can attain much higher speeds usually. So cw, turn 1 is really tight and the corner coming into the back strait is weirdly off camber. There is camping and plenty of stores right next to the park so it's nice. Pat's is far more awesome though.

Spencer Jacobson /

so who else is in on this?

I'll be there as a spectator....

Here in Portland it looks like this:

Jesse

Sabatino

Bob

Joe

Josh Jontig

Columbus Josh

Steve (the Law)

Lincoln

Dean

Ted

Matt Hoffman

Sean Saul

Patrick

J.J.

With you that makes 15.

I heard talk from a few others, but those are the ones I know that raced already or are in the process of finishing a track bike.

If Seattle make some kind of showing this year... It could turn out to be a pretty epic season!

I'd love to see one weekend this year have people come up from cali that want to race and throw down hard. If we can organize everyone coming at once and make one epic weekend I'd be really happy.

Bump

Lincoln Snyder /

I'm VERY excited about this! When does it start?

I think id have to put more work into the barreta... NAZ! Where are you in this? Your bike would be ridiculous!

Brody Chacha /

This should all be filmed, documented, and shared with those of us in states far, far away.

We have film of it on our facebook here and on our website here Most of the video is phone taken but the pics are usually pretty well done. This will be our third season of racing and it's just getting better. Seattle showed up a lot the first year but were complete no shows for all of the last year. I think they got scared. Mike you could most likely buy some of there leathers to race with. We were talking to a guy who wanted to do a documentary on the season but we will see what happens with that.

Brody Chacha /

Awesome, thanks!

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

I wish I was closer, sounds like alot of fun.

See you guys on the track this summer.

Leathers are $100 at Cycle Gear. That's cheap.

I located my first ever moped and am having it shipped from Ohio to build up my SUPER STOCK bike. This season should be a hoot n a holler! Mosquito Fleet, where u at???

UB Joe said that Travis and Naz said they were going to race this year on NYE, and I know that Gorilla built a bike for it last year because he rode it at the anniversary ride but then he got hit by a car. Ian came down and rode one weekend and so did Matt. There are a couple other riders that have talked about it but we will see if they show up on the track or not. I'd like to also include a drag racing portion if anyone is interested.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account