Need To Unrust Cotter Pin From Pedal Shaft & Don't Know How

Like the subject says, cotter pins rusted to he pedal shaft. Any advice on how to undo that?

Re: Need To Unrust Cotter Pin From Pedal Shaft & Don't Know How

Pb blaster

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Buy a new one at your local bike shop. PB Blaster and a hammer. Then replace.

send your moped to me in canada. i will free it up and send you back your cotter pin! and i will make a youtube video of it!

fallout Survivor /

Try the PB Blaster, or WD-40,

alternately Naval Jelly, or strong acid. (carefully it can blacken chrome.).(edited)

try a little heat and pb blaster. don`t beat on it too much you`ll bend the pedal shaft.(edited)

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

Pb then unscrew then nut to sit flush at the top of the threads so u have more area to wack at rather than just the end of the pin. Try a rubber mallet first before a metal hammer and u might be able to salvage the pin.

Charlie Carder /

Try this. I know its expensive but I use this every day at work and it will shift even the most stubborn cotters if you team it with some dismantling fluid.

http://bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/index.html

:D

fallout Survivor /

That press is a nice tool for a shop, kind of pricy for a one off job.

Maybe if there is room, try a very large c-clamp instead?

press > hammer > C-Clamp

presses are awesome if you have access to one, otherwise...

you need the shock from the hammer strike to break the corrosion. you may want to buy/borrow a sledge hammer. leaving the nut on the end will work, but a metal punch in addition works even better to help line up the hammer strike force parallel to the direction the pin needs to move. hold the punch with a pair of pliers as they tend to go flying when whacked with a sledge.

you should probably use a vise or c-clamp to prevent the pedal shaft from moving when you wale on it with the sledge.

dont use a screwdriver instead of a punch, the plastic/wooden handle will absorb some of the shock. you need all the shock you can muster.

i have a 3lb, 1' wooden handle, sledge hammer that i use often and a set of 3 metal punches(very cheap and crappy), all acquired from lowe's. You could also "borrow" (buy, use, return) a sledge from walmart.(edited)

Little heat and some atf

Sledge will bend the threaded end. Just use a hammer and Tappa Tappa Tappa. Sometimes I use a 1/4 inch socket extender to place on the threaded end after I put a nut on it to have a decent area to strike.

$55 for cotter pin tool? My bike cost $180!

John Warren IhazJawas /

i used liquid wrench then a hammer and pick and bought a new cotter

So that's what the Buy & Return is called: "borrowing". I'll go borrow me a torque wrench; they're expensive and I haven't committed 100% to one.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account