Puch snowflake bearing conversion

Here I am working on the moped over winter. I am trying to convert a 17" puch snowflake from the loose ball bearings to sealed bearings. After carefully measuring the wheel bore I know I need a bearing with a 12mm bore, a 32mm outside diameter, and a width of about 10mm.

There are at least 2 different bearings that would work.

a 6201-2rs - This is a sealed bearing, with only a radial load rating.

and a 7201b - this is a angular contact bearing, with radial and axial load ratings, but not sealed.

Seeing as the stock loose ball bearings are not sealed, and the geometry shows that they are are able to take a certain amount of axial and radial load, should I be going with the 7201b?

Can anyone with some experience tell me why I should select one bearing over the other?

Re: Puch snowflake bearing conversion

Ricky Lacapria /

there is an entire write up on what bearings and the process, wiki it.

i went the sealed route, and mine are awesome, smooth as butter. and a nice piece of mind.

vbxbearings.com

you plug in numbers.

the ones i got for my front wheel ended up being 1mm too wide, but it doesn't matter. don't forget the spacer in the middle.

Ronald Broers /

I'm in the process of converting my snowflakes too. I was the one who added the part about the difference between the ZZ and 2RS bearings in the wiki.

My wheels are taken apart and at the powder coater right now, but I have the 6201-2RS ready to install. Personnaly, I would advise the 6201-RS because:

1) The seal is important to ensure a long lifetime and one of the improvements over the loose ball bearings

2) Axial loads on the bearings are minimal, if you make fitting spacers. The loose ball bearings are probably designed to take some axial loads, because you need to be able to tighten the balls into the cup.

3) My 900cc Kawasaki Ninja also uses regular bearings at much higher loads

Let me know how it turns out for you...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account