1977 foxi gt with 88cc honda project

Hi this is my 1977 foxi moped project. The sachs motor sucked so out it went and am putting in a honda crf50 motor with a takegawa 88cc kit. 3 speed. I have the motor in and Im just finishing up the electricals. Once its all up and running I might take it all apart and paint it. things to come. grolsch beer tap hand shifter by the tank or under the seat, not sure. also cant decide on mini apes or my cafe bars. powder coat rims black. maybe a rigid frame and a custom seat. its going to be one kick as moped when its done.

foxi honda.jpg

Re: 1977 foxi gt with 88cc honda project

although it probably won't actually be a moped anymore, it should be a very cool little bike. foxis are very sexy machines.

why wont it actually be a moped?

depends on your state, but here in AZ, a moped is classified as being 49cc and under (mine is kitted to 64cc and therefore is techinically not), capable of going no faster than 25 MPH (mine hits mid-40's, so is technically not), has to be an automatic, and has to have pedals.

what most people here do is get them registered first, then do the mods. here, if you don't ride like a fucktard, the cops really don't hassle us. that, and most of them don't know WTF a moped is, let alone what the laws are concerning them.(edited)

I know what you mean, states have different rules on what a moped is, but generally a bike with a motor and pedals is a moped. thats why I refered to mine as a moped, as we all do even though the bike might do 40mph. heck my peugeot 103 is all stock but does 35, which by cali standars is not a moped.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Until I see pedals, its not a moped.

I stared at that picture too long and now I have welders flash! Thanks a lot for that!

should still have pedals actually... so that's pretty cool, and if you use a jockeyshift that makes it even easier to keep pedals.

it's tough to use a handshifter with those however, if the weight's off it'll skip gears not shift right bounce around and shift when you don't want it to etc, but i'm sure you can figure that out.

i'm slowly becoming more and more OK with the small honda motorswap. though for somereason the clones piss me off, but that's just because it's such a half-assed cheap fix.

those honda engines tho are real solid, powerhouse, fun and still small. i mean you still keep alot of what makes it a moped, and as far as most people see, it's still a moped so heck. go for it. better performance, efficiency and reliability isn't always a bad thing

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

if it has gears, and produced for the american market, it is not a moped

thats probably the most straightforward definition.

the bike so far still has pedals. I chose to use this ped for the project becasue it had the 504 motor which has the pedals seperate. In order to keep the pedals though I have to run a real small front sprocket because the new motor is so close. I do agree with you willd swoop in that i think the lifans and such just are not the same as a real honda. I have always wanted to do something like this so Im going for it. I have two small boys and this is a fun way to spend time together and teach them the basic tools and such. I should have it fired up tomorrow.

more pics

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account