How to tell what model Puch Maxi?

John Eicher /

How can I tell what specific model a Puch Maxi happens to be? It's a 1980 from the US market.

Re: How to tell what model Puch Maxi?

HOP ON AND RIDE IT! HOPE THIS HELPS

John Eicher /

Lol, Dwayne.

As to the Wiki... been haunting it.

The seat is not original. It has suspension and I'm pretty sure it's an E50 single speed. It has mud flaps, speedometer, and spoke wheels. I'm also not too sure what all is original.

I ran across about the numbering on the head to tell if it was high torque, however, where is that number on the head exactly? This moped is dirty so I'm in the process of cleaning and strip down. The rusty tank is the first thing I'm tackling.

So, is it an S, D, or a Luxe?(edited)

you have to take your head off and the number is on the cylinder and head

here are the links to the puch cylinder numbers

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_cylinders_%28aluminum_series%29

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_cylinders_%28high_torque_series%29

John Eicher /

Ah, that's where it went! Knew I saw it somewhere, just got lost along the way... Thank you.

I remembered wrong about the number being on the outside and I'm not planning on taking the head off until the thing is complete and road worthy. The engine runs pretty well as is.

Is there some other way I can tell the specific model? I'm thinking it's an S but the mud flaps throw me off. Did the other Maxis come with mudflaps?

John Eicher /

Never mind about the mud flaps. The online service manual shows mud flaps on the different models. I'm guessing this is an S model, which is what I was hoping for.

Think it's likely an S?(edited)

does it still have its decals? i should say on the tank or on the fender... why does it matter what model it is? its all the same really. just different features. same engine, frame forks and what not

yea its all the same unless you have a za50

John Eicher /

There are no decals; only engine plate, frame number (I guess), and tire specifications.

I was just curious as to what specific model it was. Moped fans and all that...

I appreciate everyone's help and I'll just leave it in my own mind as a 1980 Puch Maxi (probably S).

Now I'm off to continue tearing it down.

You could tell everyone it's an S, most people don't know that much about mopeds.

Patrick Keaton /

Post a picture for a true answer. Is there any sign the cylinder head and/or cylinder was painted black ?If the cylinder and/or head has black paint, it is a LUXE MODEL or up, that is how they came from the factory. If your has a matching fender it is a LUXE MODEL or up, unless it was chrome fender, then it a SPORT MODEL.The frame, forks, and fender of the Puch NEWPORT has hand painted pin stripes. I think the LUXE MODEL and up had the all plastic switches. The other model you refered to is better known as the LS, which was made after 1980.

John Eicher /

The cylinder was black and the fenders match the original body paint. The switches are the newer plastic ones like I had on my Magnum in my teen years.

I thought my photos made it into my profile but apparently I goofed at uploading. I'll try to drop a photo in here.

IMG_0002.JPG

Patrick Keaton /

If the wheels are original to the moped, it is a Puch LUXE. I have never seen that seat before. What is writen on the back of the seat. The seat looks like a Puch SPORT seat with an add on part to the rear of it. Look under the seat to see if a person spliced the rear of the seat to the front of the seat.

John Eicher /

That seat is not original. I'd imagine it was someone's messed up attempt at seat replacement. I can check what's written on the back tomorrow as I've called it a night in the barn.

The wheels are original. Adding all of the information together then the moped is likely a Luxe. Cool and thanks!

Now the task of getting this thing ready for road service begins. No money for parts and very little skill. This is to be a family use moped and not a proper restoration. With luck, a few locals will ride it and get their own. Hopefully, it'll be done no later than the end of spring.

So much of it is original, which is nice. However, much, in my opinion, still needs attention. It runs and moves. I'm sure there will be questions I post in questions in repair throughout the whole process. So far, I'm only in about $40 in trade value on the moped; no actual money changed hands. Not too bad yet...

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account