removing spokes

i know you can, and i've seen it done, but how ballsy have you guys gotten with running less than normal spokes?

pics?

horror stories?

Re: removing spokes

I've never heard of this. It sounds like a terribly bad idea.

I'm curious to see some examples of people doing this.

Why?

Sounds daft to me.

^agreed

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

Mars- you posted a while back some cool spoke patterns ideas. I found a bunch of cool shit online about what people are doing with road bike and motorcycle patterns. I think a unique spoke lacing patterns would be cooler than getting rid of spokes in a pattern.

Basically the more spokes you have the stronger the wheel will be. Bicycle wheels have recently suffered from a fad of running as few spokes as possible for minimal weight savings, but wheel strength and rim life is reduced.

I remove spokes with an angle grinder.

David Theriault /

most moped wheels could probably be laced radially with no real loss of strength. a radially laced wheel is stiffer and would be slightly lighter.

Reynold Cortigine /

angle grinder is definetly best I tried a sawzall once and it sucked

i've been waiting to see a moped with laced spokes...i think it'd be cool as hell.

I see a lot of laced spokes on mountain bikes around here, all those urban assault people.

David Theriault /

sorry, but why would you use an angle grinder when a spoke tool can be had for like $5? are moped mechanics really that dedicated to not owning the right tools? don't answer that, i already know... i suppose an angle grinder is just more fun to use...

David Theriault /

twisted spokes look rad but are all flash and no advantage. they actually redistribute the forces incorrectly, make the wheel less truable, and good luck figuring out spoke lengths. the thicker guage of moped spokes would also make this project that much harder. that said, if you go there, post pictures, i want to see!

The only reason some bicycles' FRONT wheels can be radial spoked is because the brake is on the rim so there is no stress from the center out like a drum or disc brake would make. Notice how no bicycles use radial spokes on the rear? It's because the simple act of acceleration on the hub would torque the spokes and lead to failure. Read up on why triple crossed spokes are better than double crossed in terms of the torque that's able to be applied and then you'll realize that radial spokes(which have no crossing at all) are worthless.

Aesthetics at the expense of durability, safety and performance....dumb

no groms no blasters /

I removed my spokes, but I put them all back after powder coating them.

David Theriault /

ryan you are partly wrong tons of bicycle rear wheels are radially laced i am a professional bicycle mechanic for 23 years and my recommendation that this could be used on mopeds came from a professional motorcycle mechanic that was a mechanic for the Honda racing team and has 45 years of building motorcycle and bicycle wheels. I agree that the idea of radially spoked wheels on the rear wheel of a moped on a moped with a lot of power is probably not wise, i should have said they would be fine on a front wheel. 3 cross wheels (in bicycles) are not always better than 2 cross either, it depends on spacing of the spokes and what kind of angles they will have to make and what parts of the spoke will hit the flange of the hub. and what type of rim and eyelets they will be connected to. There are many factors involved and plenty of applications that radially laced wheels have advantages. less flex, faster windup, lighter weight, etc... each wheel for each application will have an optimal setup, and it won't always be three cross.

You most definitely do not want to consider radially laced wheels on anything with drum or disc brakes or sprockets attached.

David Theriault /

yah, you're probably right, there's no advantage in mopeds but i repeat, there are LOTS of bicycle rear wheels that radially laced. i don't mind being wrong about moped stuff and being corrected, but i repeat, this technology is used OFTEN in bicycle wheels with extremely reliable results.

Many people will radially lace the rear non drive side, but the drive side spokes are laced two or three cross.

David Theriault /

not always true Mars. I have seen, ridden, and worked on rear wheels radially laced on both sides. That said, radially lacing the wheel on the non drive side and two or three crossing the drive side makes a lot more sense and in my opinion is a better setup and I would really recommend that setup on the rear wheel. Still, I know at least two guys I can think of that have put thousands of miles on rear wheels radially laced on both sides without breaking a spoke. Is there any advantage to that setup? I doubt it, it only makes the wheel very slightly lighter, but the higher spoke tension paired with the latest high end spokes like Sapim x-rays make this set up possible. The old adage that to make a strong wheel you use 14 gauge 36 spoke 3 cross wheels just isn't the end all and be all of wheel technology anymore, hasn't been since Mavic put out the Cosmic wheelset in 1994. I have a set of Mavic Helium ultralight wheels from 1996 that probably have 20,000 miles on them with hardly any maintenance at all. Like I said, I don't mind being wrong about moped stuff, but having Mayer tell me radially spoked wheels are worthless because they are inferior to 3 cross wheels and I should read up on it gets my goat a bit.

But even if it works and doesn't break, it will always have significant flex when delivering torque; like riding with a rubber band chain.

David Theriault /

By the way, you'd be right to say that no production wheel comes radially laced in this manner, but I've seen quite a few custom built this way, and it is not necessarily a recipe for failure. with the right materials and a well done build, it is perfectly possible, and perfectly reliable.

David Theriault /

Like I said, I'm not recommending it, but you'd be surprised to find that for a rider with a smooth style and the right spokes and tension, you would find that there is not much of a difference.

no groms no blasters /

removing spokes is retarded.

suck on that, nerds. more spokes, more fun.

^ more to clean and looks dumb, suck on that.

Rollo Tomassi /

I'd never seriously considered cleaning my spokes. I hosed off my moped once.

Andrew Squiggman /

how do i lace my five stars?

David Theriault /

Better idea than doing anything with your spokes is lacing on an alloy rim.

Removing spokes or changing the pattern looks cool - so only do it on the looking at moped - for the one you are actually riding then stay with the safer stock peattern and spoke count.

David Theriault /

I agree rebel. In bicycles, radially lacing, especially half radial lacing on the rear wheel has a purpose. better bracing angle, improved lateral stiffness, evening out spoke tension and lowering the difference between max and minimum tension, and is applied by different manufacturers to both the drive and nondrive side. In mopeds, these would be solutions to problems that do not exist, and therefore pointless.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account