New York State registration question

So im about to go to the DMV to register my 77 yankee peddler.

The previous owner had it registered and insured.

The registration he gave me says NONTRANSERABLE on it, which, from what i understand, means that the vehicle, at one point, had a title.

He claims there was never a title and that i should be fine. Also, there is no VIN number on the vehicle, like anywhere, there is a sticker on the forks that say the make and GVWR and shit, but no VIN, i dont see a plate anywhere either.

I already called progressive and got insurance based on the VIN that was on his old registration.

Should I mention that the bike was ever registered? Or am I better off just saying it wasnt registered and DOESNT have a vin?

Whats the process like if the ped DID have a title and this dude lost it?

Any help is appreciated.

I already had him sign all the forms stated in the WIKI about registering in NYS and stuff

Re: New York State registration question

He needs to give you the registration certificate that says transferrable on it. When you first register a moped, the clerk gives you a non-transferrable registration certificate and sticker. Your paperwork goes to Albany, they check it out, and if all is good, they send you a transferrable registration certificate and sticker.

Mopeds are not titled in New York.

Use the VIN number that is on the registration certificate.

Damn, spoke to the guy last night, he have me everything he had in terms of paperwork...

I guess I just tell them he lost the transferable registration and hope that works, wish me luck

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

If u only have the non-transferrable, u can have the previous owner write a note on the bill of sale saying "Transferrable registration issued, but lost". It's worked for me once before in a jam.

I've registered in NY without a reg from the previous owner. Go in with a bill of sale, and a few forms. They'll issue you a non-trans reg, then a while later they'll mail you a transferable.

On the DMV website, there's a form for registering without a title. On the form it says everything you need to fill out to do it. I don't remember specifically the form number, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

I wet to the DMV today, with the NONTRANSFERABLE registration card that the guy I bought it from gave me, was nice to the lady and had all my forms set up. Didnt help.

What she told me was that the registration he gave me wasn't good. I need to call him, and tell him to find the TRANSFERABLE registration card that they sent him back in September. I called the guy, he claims he doesn't have it, and now he's gotta call the DMV, and order a new registration.

Basically, this is just a huge inconvenience. They are saying the transferable reg that he got acts as the title, so there is no way for me to register it without that stupid little piece of paper.

Luckily the guy is cool, and feels bad for giving methe wrong reg card. Said he's gonna look for the transferable one or go to the DMV and get what he needs to get it transferred.

Maybe I shouldn't have showed them the old NONTRANSFERABLE reg?

use the identification number on the engine, instead of the VIN. then register it as a new bike not in the system. works every time. you might have to get it weighed but they do it for free at scrap yards.

your welcome.

thats a good idea! thanks. I do have to get it weighed, gonna mob down to the recycling center tomorrow and see if i can get them to weight it.

Andrew Squiggman /

or you can stand on a scale and weigh yourself, then stand on the scale holding your bike. subtract the first from the second

I know the weight, but dont i need some sort of offical bullshit for them to believe me? the bike weighs 100lbs, its weights on the old reg, but i cant go showing them that now can i

Andrew Squiggman /

truck stops all have scales. should be able to print some official dmv receipt or something

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

I've always just written in the weight. Never been asked about a "certified weight".

I've been asked twice how I knew what the weight of the Solex was. I always bring a Solex Owner's Manual which shows the weight on the specifications page.

Where would I find the serial number on a minarelli v1?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account