All this trike talk...

And it got me thinking.

Has anyone tried to make a bolt-on trike rear end? Like this:

Obviously you'd have to make the gearing work.

Or has anyone welded up an old swingarm with a trike axle?

Re: All this trike talk...

Salsa Salsa /

I m building on right now. But its going to be a live axle, don't know if anyone else would want to ride it. I m using a puch swing arm and modifieing it.

Live axle? I know not of what you say.

I've also got a puch swingarm that I may like to modify. Pics when you get there!

if i ever build one id try to move the engine to the rear and figure out how to incorporate a limited slip differential golf cart axle.

Aaron Fowler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> if i ever build one id try to move the engine to

> the rear and figure out how to incorporate a

> limited slip differential golf cart axle.

I saw a bike with an electric motor one searching though some images. Could be promising.

To use the bolt-on set up you'd probably have to use a 'second' hub. I'd still like to see it done.

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

Kilo P Wrote:

> Live axle? I know not of what you say.

>

> I've also got a puch swingarm that I may like to

> modify. Pics when you get there!

Live AXLE means both wheels spin. AXLE is connected the the wheels as drive wheels. Some set ups have only a single wheel drive.

i want to see someone make a variated trike.

Salsa Salsa /

why would you want a differential? have you riden a trirad? they suck, you cant ride on two wheels because you just slow down from the power transfer. thats why a live axle will be sweet, until you want to turn.

tri rads use a bolt on system. its just a puch with a cut fender, and a attachment.

i wouldnt want a trike with a live axle.

i like to make turns with my trike.

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

yup...I have a dune buggy with a 18hp subaru robin engine and it has a live axle....good luck turning when you are going 35mph in snow

i totally ride my moped through like 2 feet of snow too(facepalm)

Costa Chalpara /

Was messing with one of those, and I need more room.. It would work if you can find a way to mount your dot tires and a brake. They are setup for a large axle usually, some chopper sites have some nicer ones. Was kinda an easy way out imo.

I've gone to a 2ft square frame that I'm building a camper on. kinda like this shopping cart camper http://www.kevincyr.net/index.php?/ongoing/camper-kart/

IMG_20111019_090117.jpg
IMG_20111124_184624.jpg

Emerica Wrote:

> Was messing with one of those, and I need more

> room.. It would work if you can find a way to

> mount your dot tires and a brake. They are setup

> for a large axle usually, some chopper sites have

> some nicer ones. Was kinda an easy way out imo.

>

> I've gone to a 2ft square frame that I'm building

> a camper on. kinda like this shopping cart camper

> http://www.kevincyr.net/index.php?/ongoing/camper-

> kart/

I thought 16" moped tires could fit on 20" bicycle tire wheels?

As for the brake, you may be able to bolt up some sort of disk brake set up or a system that uses the original hub. I was kind of thinking about using a hub.

That camper cart is amazing! I'd love to have one. I'd go on a week long adventure on my moped in the mountains.(edited)

Thats the plan actually, done a few trips, but I'd like to make setup and take down quick, and popping this up at a rest area beats trying to pitch a tent, plus all your gear is locked away in the box, instead of bungied here and there to a bike. A quick home on your bike in less than a minute.

Right now it's a half inch axle, popped the bearing out of the moped wheels and when to ones with a 1/2in ID. Sitting on the bike the live axle left drive, right wheel will freewheel. rear rim on left front on right.

The rear on the left is in normal tomos orientation. the brake still on. the brake will stop on the frame.Then a hub attached to the axle with a plate like a sprocket will attach to the sprocket mount on the wheel, locking the wheel to the axle. Same type of hub will hold a sprocket in the middle on the axle. See how it holds up to some abuse :)

Those bike ones seem pretty good for the price,build a swingarm onto it, those chopper shops and go kart sites have all kinds of disc and drum brakes for axles in those sizes..

Salsa Salsa /

1/2" axle?

DAM' Fairchild /

the kit is 1 wheel drive,the left wheel,and the brackets that mount to the sing arm tend to tear at the axel.the welds are not strong enough because the metal is too thin.it mite work if you weld extra bracing in.i built a moped camping trailer.it has a slide and holds a queen size air mattress.

where did you find that axle housing?

∴ Μ Λ Ι Ζ Σ ∴ Wrote:

> why would you want a differential? have you riden

> a trirad? they suck, you cant ride on two wheels

> because you just slow down from the power

> transfer. thats why a live axle will be sweet,

> until you want to turn.

>

> tri rads use a bolt on system. its just a puch

> with a cut fender, and a attachment.

Oooh, Maize...are you saying my Tri-Rad sucks?

Salsa Salsa /

it sucks it you wanna ride on two wheels.

Ya it's a touch larger than the 12mm standard axle. Granted its used totally different application being live aside from the freewheel. Its driveline shaft rated at 60,000lbs tensile strength. :?

Seems pretty tough so far, like I said, see how it hold up too a bunch of abuse and go from there. If I go much larger I'll have to buy more shit and I'm trying to reuse as much moped parts as possible. Trying to get larger axles through a tomos rim and still have one freewheel could be a bit tricky with the alternative : more cash i different rims tires etc.

Experimentation :)

Mad Mike Wrote:

> where did you find that axle housing?

It's on amazon. Sun makes it or something.

Sounds interesting, but having ridden a Pashley tricycle, I can honestly say that fighting the steering to keep straight on a cambered road really takes the pleasure out of it.

Maitland Of the Loin /

my tri-rad has a differential

and it rocks

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account