Hobbit Convoluted Issues, puzzeling

Figured I'd start a new thread with this build.

A quick run down of the configuration.

Left Engine half, Hobbit II, right Engine half, Honda Express

Using Express CDI

ignition Coil from this kit

Standard CDI Box, looks like this one

Dr Kit

Stuffy Crank

4mm Carbon Reeds

This carb

77 PHBG Elbo Intake (90 Jet)

Goofy thing starts right up, very quickly and idles fine. any gas and she bogs down and dies. Looking at the plug, looks like its rich.

Figured it was the Carb, put the stock carb back on, same thing, maybe ran a little better, but not much.

Sprayed in gasket areas with WD hoping to find leak while running, I think its ok.

Any ideas?(edited)

Re: Hobbit Convoluted Issues, puzzeling

Overpriced Parts /

Time it correctly and jet it correctly and you problems will be gone

What plug are you using? do the above ^

crank seal leak? but then it wouldnt idle

under jetted? but you SAY the plug looks rich... I say upjet till it 4 strokes the back off a jet, will probably fix the issue

drop in a new plug, b7hs? I think the higher number means higher heat range?

check for air leaks. sounds like you're not getting enough compression.

Jetted too low. I have a 60cc kit and 19 phbg, and I'm using a 96 jet.

Didn't think CDI on the Hobbits and Expresses allowed you to adjust the time.

BR6HS is whats in it now.

The left crank seal is new, the right one is old, but looked good. I'll see if I can spray some starting fluid behind there and check to see if its speeds up the idle

Per your advice, just went up to jet 98, didn't seem to make any difference. Bike always starts right up and idles.

Maybe, thats what Goose was thinking too. Went up to size 98, and it didn't seem to make any difference, but 98 is the largest I have.

Thats because the main jet, as I have told you , Is not the problem at 1/8th throttle.

Sorry Cheetahchrome, didn't realize you had replied, just catching up on the post now.

Try choking it with your hand, will it rev up?

Forget the black plug for a moment, a rich idle is all that is.

Will Try Gary, just pulled the carb off to figure out its needle size.

Ok Cheetahchrome,

Using a caliper, the needle matches up with a W7. Looking down into it I can tell its got a two stroke AU atomizer.

The Pilot / Idle jet is not labeled, nor is the chock-o-jet. I'll order a set of 40s.

One other thing, should this be plugged?

Overpriced Parts /

Yes blocked or you will have a air leak

XD

higher number ngk plug=colder.

hondas are good for crank seals being ok at idle and soon as you increase rpm`s they leak like a siv.

what did you use to block off your oil pump hole? you can adjust timing by 1 grinding a slot in mounting tabs. ( you can`t get much) or take the woodruff key out and clock the flywheel.

also check your reeds

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

Main jet = WOT

I used a plug, just like the one in this video.

I was wondering if it might only be leaking when throttled. The right crank seal is the original so I ordered a new seal just incase. I think I can replace that from the outside if I'm careful. Also ordered size 45, 50 and 55 idle jets. Was pretty sure the needle was a W7 by using a caliper, but ordered a W7 anyhow to be safe.

Unless your carb is a clone and I suspect that it might be since you say the pilot jet had no size stamped on it.

The needle will have the size stamped right on it. Here is a shot of a w7

None of the jets were stamped, I think its a clone. If its anything like the Keihin clones, I might want to replace it.(edited)

Naw man, don't give up on it. just because it's a clone dosent mean it's a bad thing. If you can dope your way around tuning a clone , you will the better off by far.

Thanks for the encouragement Cheetachrome. ;)

Doing better today, the jets came in the mail yesterday, currently I have for sure now a W7 Needle, 50 Idle, 90 Main Jet.

Currently starts and idles fine, any throttle at all and it bogs down, but if you manage to baby bump it into about half throttle, she becomes alive. So my assumption is my idle jet needs to be smaller, or maybe bump my needle retainer up a notch.

I upjetted to 95 from 90 on the stock carb and most of my troubles have went away... might try a 98

Goose, its currently got a phbg 21mm carb on it, won't say I won't go back to stock keihin though.

Master D. Baiter /

did you adjust the screws?

Only screw the PHBG carb I have is one for air mix, and one for idle speed. Think I'm going to try to upjet the idle to 55 and see what it does.

With a 55 Idle Jet, 94 Main jet and the needle clip 2nd from bottom, its stopped bogging down during half and full throttle wraps, will try to ride it in the morning and do plug chops.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account