mopeds or scooters

Billy Ray Richter /

Why do they call the bikes with no pedals "mopeds"? You can't pedal them so why aren't they called scooters?

Re: mopeds or scooters

There are some things in life for which there is no good answer too.

lol...true go with no-peds.

The word "Moped" is short for motorized pedacycle" meaning it can be propelled by a motor or by pedal power. The word moped only came into use in the US sometime around the late 1950's although it wasn't really popular until a little later. Sears for example had a model simply named "Mo-ped", they were probably one of the first to make use of the term. At the same time Motobecane used the term "Motor Bike" in its sales literature. In the early 1970's laws were created to classify bikes that were 50cc, automatic, and were pedal and motor powered as mopeds rather than motorcycles. At this time most states required functional pedals for the vehicle to be considered a moped. In the 1980's true mopeds were in decline and 50cc scooters became popular. Most states removed the pedal requirement to allow these scooters to be operated under the moped law since they were 50cc, automatic, 30mph vehicles. By law scooters are considered "Mopeds" in most states. This is probably the reason for the popularity of the term.

Same here in the UK. Mopeds are any sub-50cc bike tht can't top 30mph.

Why do they call bikes with no motors and pedals "mopeds"

Technically speaking, these bikes have engines. Not motors. So why arn't they called egpeds?

Thought I'd throw that out there for argument.

why are indians and Harley of the early 1900's considered motorcycles? They clearly had pedals lol.

moped is a broad term. if I see something with an engine that can also be used as a bicycle I call in a moped or motor bike.

I agree with flagrant though...theres no real answer.

Overpriced Parts /

Mopeds have petals get it mo-ped motor+ ped

Everything else is a scooter or motorcycle. This is how it is in Ohio where I live. Not only that us ohioans can only have a moped from the approved list.

That list is bullshit though

They're wrong.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

I manufactured scooters in the 60s.

A couple two by fours and one of my sister's metal wheeled skates separated and nailed on and I was rockin the thing down the sidewalk.

In this context the use of motor or engine would be synonymous. A motor transforms energy into mechanical motion. In this case the heat energy of combusting hydrocarbons.

Shawn . Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why do they call bikes with no motors and pedals

> "mopeds"

>

> Technically speaking, these bikes have engines.

> Not motors. So why arn't they called egpeds?

> Thought I'd throw that out there for argument.

John Warren IhazJawas /

a woman once called my moped a scooter and i yelled back to her its got pedals bitch lol mopeds and scooters need to be seperated

troll

Overpriced Parts /

Ya I should have looked at how many posts

I usually only look at how many post someone has when they are selling

Something on buy/sell

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

You should read his previous thread,'8 years ago. Lots of lols.

Edward Richardson /

Actually early Indians were called Motocycles but the term didn't catch on. Early motorcycles had pedals true enough but the engines were 400cc+.

whatabout whizzers?!

In common usage, an engine burns or otherwise consumes fuel, and is differentiated from an electric machine (i.e., electric motor) that derives power without changing the composition of matter. A heat engine may also serve as a prime mover, a component that transforms the flow or changes in pressure of a fluid into mechanical energy. An automobile powered by an internal combustion engine may make use of various motors and pumps, but ultimately all such devices derive their power from the engine.

yea. i really like those old school motorcycles though. Motor bikes as they should be called.

fucking retard.

if ya have to ask you really wouldn`t understand anyways.

Rollo Tomassi /

Texas made a fat mess out of definitions: Moped is about anything under 50cc and does not have to have pedals, but "Motor Assisted Scooter" has to have pedals or other means for non-motorized propulsion, and it has to be under 40cc.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account